Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the rainbow unicorn. 

looks like my daughters been riding with you ,,,, she loves korny korns as she calls them ....mirrors look nice...i want some

Rustina, Im sorry for putting that sticker on your door panel... it came with my Lisa Frank trapper-keeper.

That would have been sweet... when I actually had one, I think it was just sports themed. I remember picking it out and there werent too many boy options (I wasnt as feminine back then) so I went with the plain sports. I still had it years later as I had a small comic book collection being protected with it. I actually may have it packed away in some boxes I left at home once I joined the Service. 

• 3 weeks later...

Parts are amassing. I really need to get crackin.

*I also need to change the oil (and at the same time install new oil pump)

*Wash the car, yes its winter, all the more reason.

*Fix my windshield leak (I have the supplies, just havent gotten around to it as its quite cold)

*Actually install those mirrors (I have a problem with how they sit, and with screw holes in the drivers door...)

*Address my fuel sender (It keeps reporting less than I actually have)(and what it reports is less every week)

*I also at some point intend to get all my steering components changed over, as I have started to collect some tie rod ends. Basically I need 2 more tie rod ends, and ball joints, and then I will take the car in for an alignment.

*I have located a clunking noise on my car. One of the bolts I used for the transmission to mount is not working out too well (head of bolt is sinking into the flange on the tranny, who knows). So I need to take care of this. I dont like my dogleg either, its unhappy in the mornings, and sometimes blatantly refuses to go into 2nd. Being that shifting is all muscle memory, I go for second, which doesnt take, and then I grind the gear. Simply retrying works, but something is definitely amiss.

*I think I need to tighten up the alt belt, dash lights and radio cut out around 4500 rpm.

*Raise my idle up, 450rpm is just too low, as it only gets to 650 if it sits. (Any nay sayers I do have a video of it idling after a cold start)

*And another project for me to do. Its in the mail, will be here next Thursday. Hopefully install next Sunday.

*Door cards, on the back burner, as I might be doing something that would mess them up if I finished them today.

*I have been driving around with a dogleg in the back of the car, its time to get that out.

Idler Arm bushing, figured its never been replaced...

IMG_0022.JPG

2 of 4 tie rod ends.  (what is this brand? its on my other tie rod I got from moog too)

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

And, because keys are obnoxious:

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

So I had an electrical snafu that started last night.

So I was having issues with the DZ start, the relays kept letting go, and other odd things like my radio loosing memory, and sometimes my lights would all just shut down. Went over to Skibs, and when I got there, the car simply shut down entirely. Found that playing with the trigger wire at the starter solenoid would let things turn on again, and if I had the heater and dome light on, I could see/hear the change as I moved the wire around. Finally though I found the real source. My Fusible link had finally disintegrated at one of the connectors, and was providing intermittent power. Skib made me a new fusible link, and I installed it, and now everything works again!

Also, crossed a couple things off my list.

Parts are amassing. I really need to get crackin.

*I also need to change the oil (and at the same time install new oil pump)

*Wash the car, yes its winter, all the more reason.

*Fix my windshield leak (I have the supplies, just havent gotten around to it as its quite cold)

*Actually install those mirrors (I have a problem with how they sit, and with screw holes in the drivers door...)

*Address my fuel sender (It keeps reporting less than I actually have)(and what it reports is less every week)

*I also at some point intend to get all my steering components changed over, as I have started to collect some tie rod ends. Basically I need 2 more tie rod ends, and ball joints, and then I will take the car in for an alignment.

*I have located a clunking noise on my car. One of the bolts I used for the transmission to mount is not working out too well (head of bolt is sinking into the flange on the tranny, who knows). So I need to take care of this. I dont like my dogleg either, its unhappy in the mornings, and sometimes blatantly refuses to go into 2nd. Being that shifting is all muscle memory, I go for second, which doesnt take, and then I grind the gear. Simply retrying works, but something is definitely amiss.

*I think I need to tighten up the alt belt, dash lights and radio cut out around 4500 rpm.

*Raise my idle up, 450rpm is just too low, as it only gets to 650 if it sits. (Any nay sayers I do have a video of it idling after a cold start)

*And another project for me to do. Its in the mail, will be here next Thursday. Hopefully install next Sunday.

*Door cards, on the back burner, as I might be doing something that would mess them up if I finished them today.

*I have been driving around with a dogleg in the back of the car, its time to get that out.

*Idler arm bushing

*Keyless install ( actuators/electric door locks, and then the keyless addition.)

*Figure out how to control the lock on the wagon hatch.

Also, do you notice any increase in wind noise with those flag mirrors? I am trying to figure out why my car is a wind tunnel above 50MPH, and it sounds like it's either the drip rails, which would suck because that's irreparable, or the flag mirrors on my goon... Something is being awfully noisy. I replaced my felts, door seals, and inner/outer squeegees on all doors already. Wish the felt was a little bigger. 

Wind noise could be anything. even outside the car.

I dont have the mirrors installed yet...

The car does get quite loud above 50mph, but I attribute most of that to road noise.

Maybe fresh air vents?

I didnt notice a change at all with adding a hatch seal. Oh and dont buy the DLSC one its rubbish, and way overpriced. I can get one of the 2 seals from work for like $1.50/ft.

I do have plans (not written down, nor priced out) to do some extensive sound deadening. Much more than the roofing stuff so many use (and I used for a bit).

Just get the dam swap in their and quit dicking around with the old dogleg and l19 you made.

Aha. In time Eric. I really do need to start collecting parts. I think I might start with sending the engine off to get surfaced, and the head to make sure its not warped. I have learned head gaskets are very picky on this motor.

Wind noise could be anything. even outside the car.

I dont have the mirrors installed yet...

The car does get quite loud above 50mph, but I attribute most of that to road noise.

Maybe fresh air vents?

I didnt notice a change at all with adding a hatch seal. Oh and dont buy the DLSC one its rubbish, and way overpriced. I can get one of the 2 seals from work for like $1.50/ft.

Check out RAAMAT. I used it on my entire pan floor, worked wonders and is cheaper and better than dynamat... do NOT use fatmat or anything asphalt based! I did a ghetto rebuild of my fresh air vents, but they are indeed sealed. 

Also, regarding the hatch seals... I only bought the outer seal which seems to be pretty good quality. What would you recommend doing in replacement of the inner if his isn't good quality? 

My problem with the inner is that it really prevents my hatch from closing. There is just too much material at the bottom, and to make it work, it really needs to be glued on, which he says it does not.

I am intending to ask vintagerubber.com for a picture of their seal.

If that fails, I will go aussie. (Aussie stuff generally is the best quality around beside NOS, but has high shipping rates)

As for sound deadening. Im thinking more along the lines of a layers, of Closed cell foam first, MLV(mass loaded vinyl) on top of the CCF, and finally another layer of CCF.

And I am thinking for the hatch area, I might get a truck bed rubber mat to cut and lay down. Should help with things sliding around back there.

They may have been on christmas break.

I have talked to them previously, or rather, right when I bought my windshield seal from them. They seem very nice.

Edit** Sent them an email, in reply to my previous conversation with them.

Ok well I get a box of goodies in the mail tomorrow (thursday). And another box on saturday. Yippee!

They have nothing to do with each other.  But the saturday box has everything to do with allowing me to start work on my door cards once again.