Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

A little more work today, and a new acquisition!

I love the look of new freeze plugs, something about the contrast I guess

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Decided the next logical step was to install the timing chain guides

IMG_0557.JPG

So today I went to the junkyard. I had quickly checked online to see how many pickups were in the yard. I wandered through and found 3 75 620s and a 76. 2 of them had W58 heads, 2 had no heads. I wandered the rest of the yard hoping to find something, but got discouraged quickly. I knew I was missing something; I whipped my phone out and checked online again to see what was supposed to be at the yard, it said there was a 620 on the isle I was standing next to, so I walked down the isle, and it was the last car. Hood was closed and I opened it, the engine bay was completely intact, well except someone had yanked the points out of the distributor. I checked the head, and it was U67, success! And then I learned I really hate smog crap.

IMG_0559.JPG

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So more work being done. Put new valve stem seals on the new head. Went to go put the head on the motor and, one of the holes is helicoiled. Of course now the helicoil is stripped, time to get a new helicoil in there. Then the bolt wont torque, and I kill 2 more helicoils. I finally look at the bolt, and see that it was missing threads, awesome! Managed to find another Head Bolt today. And then this happened!

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

And then it got late.

I also made this tool for priming the oil system:

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

I ordered a new clutch kit, will be here Friday (today I guess). And well I need to prime the oil system, and assemble the rest of the motor. Hoping to have it in Friday or Saturday. Driving Saturday or Sunday.

Because I am sitting down.

Got the car running late last night. Started on the second turn of the key (first turn was me realizing that the distributor was a tad advanced as it didnt want to turn over). I had primed the fuel system to it would be easy to start.

Basically last night I did everything from actually bolting the motor to the crossmember to adjusting the valves.

My friend came over in his 521, it keeps having cooling issues. On the way to his house his car overheated twice, and a loose battery connection made it so I had to jump his car.

So first thing I did was take it around the neighborhood to make sure it was good to go, not leaking, things felt tight. I instantly could feel there was more power. So then off it was to the gas station. I managed to put 20 miles on it last night, varying my speed everywhere I went with all sorts of loads on the motor. Did the same today, found some curvy hilly roads near my house and went for a drive. And that when I learned I can wind out 2nd pretty far. And then 3rd.

I had gotten a new exedy clutch on friday (amazon prime ftw!). For cheapness, I ran Castrol GTX with a zddp additive for the first 50 miles. Now I am about to go put in Valvoline VR1.

Motor is maintaining its heat, gauge is consistently between mid and 3/4, but to me the consistency is more important than what a 40 year old gauge reads.

And most importantly, not a single leak!

Pictures soon. Figured I would come inside for a few and wait for the engine to cool a bit before I change the oil.

Also, I need to turn off my heater... Damn its hot. And need to figure out my exhaust clearance issue.

Pics, cuz I promised, and I finally got my camera charged.

SNC10504.JPG

SNC10505.JPG

SNC10506.JPG

Lifted the car today to fix my exhaust rattle noise. Tons better but its still rubbing somewhere...

SNC10507.JPG

And new clutch.

SNC10508.JPG

Nice and clean :thumbup: . What's that coil from?

That happens to be what rockauto sends you when you order a new coil... Um it seems to be applicable for lots of cars, I saw Suzuki on the list as well...

Well I was driving Sunday and and looked down at my speedometer, I was going 0mph. Oops. Got home, quickly diagnosed the problem as a broken speedometer cable. Ordered a new one.

WP_000443.jpg

Needle seems to be a bit more sure of itself now.

I has surprise coming, either end of next week, or beginning of the following week.

Also, installed some HIDs in the ellipsoids. Going to see how they perform at night. Wiring is a mess at those corners. I need to spend some time fixing the harness.

Damn those HIDs make a difference! Its like night and day difference! Maybe the old halogens were going out, but now I actually lay light on the road. No light goes into the cabin of other cars, like the corolla I was following light only made it to the license plate. Passed many cops and no turn arounds, so I think I am good. Though 6k bulbs are too blue for me, might see about some 4.7k.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow evening. A very good $55 light upgrade, I am happy.

Is payment is comments, sure!

Its more like I havent done anything to the car lately except drive it.

As for the night shots. Well I would have to wait til night, and they didnt seem that important... But if that really is interest I will have them up when I can (still have to take the picture...) I dont even know who is subscribed, never looked.

As for the surprise, wait til next week...

Next on my list of things to do is get the interior feeling more like a car.

Um, well I just feel like posting...

Car is running super well. I installed a tach I got from Rotary510 and forgot to take a picture of that... At which point I felt like I needed to adjust the idle, and I turned it down to like 800, it was running rough there. I then messed with the idle mixture screw and all of a sudden the rpm's shot up, looked at my tach and it was at 1600rpm. Turned the idle down to 800 again and it was a lot smoother. Car starts faster now, and it actually dies when I turn it off, no more dieseling.

I just hit my 500 miles today. That means oil change tomorrow after work. I am kinda liking this Valvoline VR1, so I think I will keep using it.

Car is a lot of fun to drive. Intake sound is so glorious. But what is not is my exhaust still hitting the tranny crossmember. I need to get a real solution for that. On the hunt for a local with a welder...

I keep thinking of what I want to do next, and I have lots of ideas, but I think the biggest one to me is making the interior nicer and maybe quieter. That is now next on my list.

I guess finally I will leave you with a pictar.

waiting%252520game.jpg

Hmm, well in anticipation I did some stuff to my car.

I decided that my spring perches were too close to the tires, but to raise them up also meant to raise the front of the car. So how do I overcome this issue? Well by using ZX Top Hats!

SNC10521.JPG

SNC10522.JPG

SNC10523.JPG

SNC10526.JPG

SNC10524.JPG

SNC10529.JPG