225 hp l18

Braden

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you have to have alot of passion for the nostalgic l20b to put that much time money and effort to get that little of gain, you could build a 1000+ sr20 or ka24 for alot less money than that! and it would probably be more reliable, hell i owuld try and build some sort of turbo 2.0 around here if we had a machine shop that was worth a damn and if i had someone around here who wasnt a complete honda ricer meth cooking goverment sucking 2nd grade toothless idiot

20 years ago here in the Northeast the L18 was the engine to have if you were racing circle track in the Pro 4 Division. The parts list was a whose who of the best in performance parts of the time. They included Cosworth pistons, Carillo rods, dual Weber 45's, BC Gerolamy head work that included angle milling and port welding/relocation. They were claimed to have 235hp and were actually quite reliable. My A15 in my SCCA GTL spec Datsun 1200 (with restrictor removed) makes 156 rwhp, so I can beleive the 179 rwhp on an L18.

Here is my dyno sheet on my A15, not the most reliable at just under 16:1 CR. It needs the head gasket replaced every other race to keep it from giving up during a race. (pay no attention to AFR, the 110 leaded race fuel was messing that all up)

A15_Dyno_Runs.jpg

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsundyno.htm

this evidence is against him but he did mention rebello etc. maybe this is plausibe just so far on the west coast we havent heard of ti over here...

Why are you posting stock L18 information and calling it "evidence" against one that is a high strung, high compression race motor? The concept of high compression race motors hasn't made it all the way to Kentucky?

the L18 with the 710 race car i have was dyno'd at 216, BSR head, all trick stuff. BUT - and a very big BUT - that was in 1980! how accurate was a dyno back then? who knows, how accurate are they now? same question. i have heard from other users that Rebello's seems to read higher than others, maybe they know something everybody else doesn't - who knows. i tend to look at dyno numbers like my wife looks at scales - if she has a problem with what she looks like, she will work harder until she is satisfied and doesn't look to the scale for approval. if you are slower on the track, don't blame the car.

Why are you posting stock L18 information and calling it "evidence" against one that is a high strung, high compression race motor? The concept of high compression race motors hasn't made it all the way to Kentucky?

umm because some of the big bore engines that are fully built dont even come close, so read the list asswipe

• Like 1

i stand corrected, you have won good sir!!!! feel free to tell us all you know about the mysterious race engines, wise one.

highcompression.. lots of time on a flow bench.. exotic rotating assemblies = high horsepower.. Useable on the street.. probably not. They sound cool though :)

You dont know how hard its to not put this in the dime due to the above reasons..:)

Picture100.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Picture101.jpg