Need some help w/ girlfriend's car

Hey guys, I need to pick your collective brains and see if you can help me figure out what's wrong with my girlfriend's car.

It's a 1993 Buick Park Avenue, and today it refused to start in a store parking lot. I assumed dead battery as the first place to check, so we tried to jump it. No luck. So, I thought, maybe it's just REALLY REALLY dead, and we let it sit with the cables hooked up for 20 minutes or so, and tried again. It still wouldn't start. It clicked once every time the key was turned. Just one fairly loud Click. But, the lights work, the power seats work, the radio works, etc etc. So.. that leads me to believe that the battery probably isn't the problem after all.

Long story short, we need to figure out what's wrong with it so we can get it out of the parking lot tomorrow before somebody has it towed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starter clicking. Either it's bad or not getting enough voltage. Check that the battery cables are tight on the battery. Check that the positive cable at the starter terminal is clean and tight. Last, the negative cable where it bolts to the block or somewhere on the engine.

Bad solenoid or crappy cable connections. You can figure this out by arcing the starter with a screwdriver. Be prepared for the spark though. And make sure it's not in gear.

Turn on your headlights, see if they're really dim. If not, battery is fine. I'd say 90% it's a solenoid, provided your battery cables aren't all corroded/green/loose.

(Post whore info, I'm close to 2000!)

The whole "Jump it with a screwdriver" thing, how do you do that? Sounds like the sort of thing I'd electrocute myself doing, knowing me. :lol:

ya prob..... but its cool dont sweat it :rofl: jk

this is what a bad starter will do.

and what a good starter will do.

So, making sure I've got all this straight, I should be able to jump it directly to the starter, and start the car, even if the starter is bad? Or, if the starter is bad, am I still shit outta luck?

Hopefully I can get it started, because plan B is to see if my 720 can tow the big buick. haha.

you can jump the starter via jumping the the two posts on it with a screw driver,

if the starter is good and something else is causing the problem the starter will turn over.

if not, the start is just crap and your shit out of luck.

On my thunderbird sometimes it wouldnt turn over with the key (my head gasket was blown). Lucky for me the starter solenoid was right behind the battery on the sidewall. Maybe GM did a similar thing?

Anyways like mentioned before arc the solenoid with a screw driver. The solenoid will either be on the starter or you can find it buy tracing a thick wire from the starter. Set the car to "On" with the key. and make sure its in park. Car should start up if it turns over.

My thunderbird would do the 1 click then nothing deal. Had my friend jump me for 20 mins and nothing. I think I partially hydro locked 1 cylinder with the blown head gasket. Good luck!

Update:

We got it started by wiggling around the battery cables bassically. It's dead again, but at least it's not sitting in the Hastings parking lot any more. haha

I should've checked the cables first, I know.

So, the current plan of action is to clean all the conections and make sure everything is tight. And hope that does it.

Update:

We got it started by wiggling around the battery cables bassically. It's dead again, but at least it's not sitting in the Hastings parking lot any more. haha

I should've checked the cables first, I know.

So, the current plan of action is to clean all the conections and make sure everything is tight. And hope that does it.

if its these bolt on connection ones, toss it

lrbatt.jpg

and get molded ones

G_16074G_CL_1.jpg