Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a problem. Figured it would be good reference material.

I mounted the throttle cable. Off to the shop to mount on the car. I'm going to use the stock pedal and linkage and then modify it for cable use. This way I can run the cable along the firewall and away from the turbo manifold.

IMG_20140504_133435_zpsbhau0yvy.jpg

Nope. This turbo is water cooled. The water feed (cold) will come from the block and the water return (hot) will return to the rad. The oil feed will come from my oil filter relocation plate and the oil return will go into the rearward part of the oil pan.

Technically when the thermostat is closed the turbo return will be back feeding through the radiator. I don't really care as it will work fine. Most guys run the coolant lines from the throttle body and wrap around the front of the motor. The way I'm routing the lines will be short and stay on the driver side.

Radiator is done!! Just need to order some ss t-bolt clamps. I also need to install the iat sensor in the aluminum cold pipe. I'll order that tonight. Ecu is done and will be heading my way on Monday :)

Next is pull the motor for the last time. Make a new oil filter relocator. Weld up turbo manifold. Weld turbo oil return in oil pan, mock up and have the oil lines and coolant line made.............so on and so forth....

IMG_20140517_140023_zps4w71ftki.jpg

IMG_20140517_140030_zpsbjkg7oix.jpg

IMG_20140517_140409_zpskabsofgt.jpg

IMG_20140517_140427_zpshiawcfvg.jpg

IMG_20140517_140720_zpsclmwvg8s.jpg

IMG_20140517_140741_zpsqrcf988o.jpg

Got a cap ;)

IMG_20140517_140803_zps2dtwgqgy.jpg

IMG_20140517_141240_zpspkpszknw.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks!

I didn't want to make a new oil filter relocator and after some thought I decided to just modify mine and save the hassle...

The turbo oil feed will have a 45deg fitting, not the straight one shown. Oil pressure sender goes in the top. Its tapped into the line prefilter but who cares....

IMG_20140518_135803_zpsxy41iwti.jpg

Next step is pull the motor!!

I was gonna at first. Now I kinda like the raw look :) if I grind it down theres a chance I will get a leak and also compromise the strength. I guess I could grind down the top side that you see. This way it still maintains its strength.

We'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Josh.  If you do grind them down.....you might try sandblasting them with a coarse medium.  I use a slag byproduct that cuts pretty quickly.  You can actually "carve" the surface and blend everything in.  I'm sure you've seen sandcarvings in glass......same thing.  If the finish is too coarse for your tastes, then blast again with a finer abrasive to smooth it out.

• Like 1

hmm, since your fab skills are pretty damn sharp, have you thought of separating the water port that's connected to the intake manifold? when i was doing a lot of KAs i always wanted to try it. the runners get pretty damn hot from having that direct connection to it even with a thermal gasket that sits between the head. you might have to do a sandwhich type plate setup to bolt it all tight, or maybe just weld a bung directly on to the head... dono, i would try it if i still was into them. figured i would bring it up while you still have the engine that far apart. 

Josh.  If you do grind them down.....you might try sandblasting them with a coarse medium.  I use a slag byproduct that cuts pretty quickly.  You can actually "carve" the surface and blend everything in.  I'm sure you've seen sandcarvings in glass......same thing.  If the finish is too coarse for your tastes, then blast again with a finer abrasive to smooth it out.

Just blasting over the welds without grinding them down, may "tone" them down enough for the eye, and retain the strength...

I'll probably use a grinder with a sanding disc. Theres a trick to smoothing pipe for sure. Looks like I got enough penetration so it should be ok....

hmm, since your fab skills are pretty damn sharp, have you thought of separating the water port that's connected to the intake manifold? when i was doing a lot of KAs i always wanted to try it. the runners get pretty damn hot from having that direct connection to it even with a thermal gasket that sits between the head. you might have to do a sandwhich type plate setup to bolt it all tight, or maybe just weld a bung directly on to the head... dono, i would try it if i still was into them. figured i would bring it up while you still have the engine that far apart.

I looked at this and it would be too much work. Maybe in the future. I'll measure the surface temps of the manifold and post the results.

I got this little gem of a setup today!

IMG_20140521_120754_zpszcfzk8em.jpg

Can't wait to hook up the laptop and get busy..... Maybe late summer/early fall she will fire up the first time. I'm moving houses again July 1st and son is due Mid August. Trying to get as much done as possible before then....

Rerouted my oil lines:

IMG_20140519_173915_zps0ofuqoyp.jpg

I pulled the motor last night and planned the rest of my lines. Ordered the special fittings today. It's gonna be pretty slick ;)