Friend going to Japan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nostalgic Hero is a good one.

HEY! Fisrt straight answer. Thanks bud! :D

I was thinking a magazine. He's not a good enough friend to bring me PARTS home. :(

And yes........I do need a REAL 510. Haven't found the right one yet though. Looking for a 2dr under a grand, anyone got one? :P

+1 for "Nostalgic Hero" I actually bought my first issue the other day for about $20. Another one I enjoy reading is "Nostalgic Garage". It's circulated by the same publisher and contains articles of nicely done-up garages of classic JDM owners.

Another good one is also called "Old Timer". Good articles (pictures- because I don't speak Japanese) of mostly Hakosukas but they have a few snippets of Bluebirds in there.

I'm also a bit of a fan of Bosozoku style cars. One thing that is really hard to get here in the US is a "tsurikawa". It's basically a Japanese subway handle with strap to attach to either the rear tow hook or place them hanging from the inside of the rear passenger roof hand grips. It's an old-school Japanese outlaw style thing.

Come to think of it, I don't know but perhaps there is a magazine out there for Bosozoku cars. Maybe he can find one??

I also picked up a copy of a soft cover publication called "Japanese Historic". The soft cover book is still in Japanese but it's read from left to right (not right to left typical Japanese style).

Careful when buying DVD's. They may be formatted for Japanese DVD players not the North American region. Wish I could get my hands on a JCCA DVD though.

There are alot of chain stores that sell specifically after market parts. Perhaps Google map places like "Super Autobacs", and "Up Garage".

If he really is interested in making a Japanese classic car purchase, there are car lots that specialize in older Japanese cars. Here's just a few:

www.rockyauto.co.jp

www.kuruma.co.jp

www.garage-iwasa.com

www.starroad.co.jp

www.nostalgiccar.com

www.red-megaphone.com

http://www.takeeyz.ftw.jp/

www.japan-vintage.com

HHmmm dry.gif what else: Oh yeahohmy.gifbiggrin.gif I'm a hat guy (don't know if you are one too) but if you are then maybe he can pick up a "ENEOS" trucker hat worn by the gas station attendants in Japan.

If you can't get your friend to bring you home some negative offset SSR's or that Bluebird grille everyone goes nuts for, have him bring you some cool toys. Tomica makes a lot of Datsun and other old school cars that aren't easily found here. They make some nice Tomica Limited's with more detail than their usual 300 yen car, though they cost a bit more.

If you want to add to your Hot Wheels 510 collection, your friend can get you the HW 510 in JDM packaging. Short card, and all copy in Japanese. Easily found in toy stores and large electronic stores like Yodobashi Camera/Bic Camera. There should be pegs full of them.

In addition to Nostalgic Hero, a great magazine to pick up is G-Works, easily found in the automotive section of the local honyasan (bookstore) Garage Life is also a great magazine, as well as Lightning as sometimes they have in depth features on classic J-tin.

If by chance there is a local Autobacs nearby, they sell a lot of great stickers of the Japanese brands- NGK, KYB, Idemitsu, etc etc. Even better if your friend is a car person, I'm sure they'll find something special for you.

And when your friend is back at the airport ready to head home, see if they can stop at 2 stores (in both Narita and Osaka airports): Uni Qlo for a t-shirt and a Lawson (or other convenience store, called konbini) for a "Milk France" bread. Trust me on that one, you'll crave for another after you eat it!

I go to Japan often, and these are always must haves when I come back to the US. In addition to a set of wheels :D

I also wanted to add that there is new magazine publication out in Japan now too. Vol 1 was just released July 24th. The magazine is called "Route G-Works" with a KGC10 on the cover. See if your friend could pick up a copy or 2. I see one for sale on the web for $47 dollars!! <-- that's enough to buy a new MSD ignition coil.