Fuel tank leak, help!

So I run out to my truck and get ready to jump in to go to work and I notice I have a puddle about the size of a diner plate under it. I push it forward and smell it, fuel, crap! I look under my rig and see that I have a small leak from a previous patch. Watch it for a bit and its dripping about 1 drip every 30-45 seconds. Not much, but a fuel leak. What are my options, it looks like it was already patched with an epoxy but has worked through the side of the patch. Do I need to drain the tank and patch it from the inside and if so, how do I do that?

Anything would be awesome!

Thanx in advance!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JB weld waterweld. COmes in a small tube with a plastic coating......gray outside, dark gray inside......cut off a chunk, rub together to mix up the 2 parts and shove her in the hole. Impervious to fuel and no need to drain the tank.

Bar soap is an effective temporary solution. Just fire up the torch and braze the hole closed!! Kidding. Waterweld works awesome

Bill

Mine started leaking just like yours and I used JB Weld and it worked fine but if you have one pinhole leak you have more. I bought the eastwood tank seal kit and it seems to be working fine. While I had the sending unit out I soaked it in vinegar to clean all the corrosion off of it and it works great now.

ha h a you guys are talkign about torching fuel tanks, well my grandpa used to weld tanker trucks back in the day, one thing he made sure they did was fill the tank before he welded on it, no fumes no boom, other than that the fuel inside actually cooled down the weld.

Just a opinion but i had the same problem with my tank fixed it once worked fine, but like east coast said if theres one there is more.... i eneded up finding a new tank cause i was tired of trying to chase pinholes every week...pulling the tank isnt that bad but when you have to do it repeatedly it sux.... theres some stuff made by por 15 ...tannk sealer works pretty good...i enede up just finding a tank of a different truck...

If you weld on a gas tank the first thing is to wash out the tank with water and dawn. Then make a patch ( diamond shape if you can ) as it is easier to weld this way. Perg the tank with argon I use 3M green masking tape to plug holes and 2 pound of pressure on the regulator bubble. This is how it is done to repair aiplane gas tanks legally. If it leaks from a crack you drill a small hole 1/16" at the start and end of the crack then weld.

So I run out to my truck and get ready to jump in to go to work and I notice I have a puddle about the size of a diner plate under it. I push it forward and smell it, fuel, crap! I look under my rig and see that I have a small leak from a previous patch. Watch it for a bit and its dripping about 1 drip every 30-45 seconds. Not much, but a fuel leak. What are my options, it looks like it was already patched with an epoxy but has worked through the side of the patch. Do I need to drain the tank and patch it from the inside and if so, how do I do that?

Anything would be awesome!

Thanx in advance!

If it's worth doing, then do it right. You will need to pull the tank, empty it first, then pull the gauge unit out, look in the bottom, if it is full of rust you have a couple of choices, get another one(best choice) or if unable to, buy a good quality gas tank sealer, I use "bill hirsh-gas tank sealer"(800)828-2061, I had a ford ranger with dual tanks, it used a fuel system that seemed to pressurize the tank, everytime I used the tank it sprung a new leak, I was tired of welding on it, I used this sealer and no more problems, it filled holes you could see light threw. The number above is a few years old, the address is, bill hirsh auto, 396 littleton ave. newark NJ 07103 This stuff is awesome, you put it in the tank, tilt/move the tank till all areas have been covered, then pour the rest back in the can and save it for the next tank. wayne

I did the por-15 on my fuel tank about 2yrs ago. Has held up so far. Had some good size pin holes that i filled in with JB weld then did the whole por-15. I also only bought the cycle gas tank repair kit, just to try and save some cash. It did cover the whole tank though. You pretty much just clean the tank with their cleaners and pour the sealer in the tank, slosh it around and try to get a good cover on the inside of tank. Then pour the excess sealer back out and let it dry. It took a good weekend, just because I let the cleaners sit in the tank for a while. I had a good amount of rust in the tank it kept on clogging my fuel filter, then the tank started leaking. Now I just have to find that 'o' ring for the fuel level sender.