Squirrely Dime

CorAce

Now that my dime is becoming more road worthy I have been wondering further from home. I drove it to work the last couple of days and realized it’s really squirrely on the highways. Before I get to the question here a list of what’s been done.

ZX struts

GC coil over’s

Poly though out

Ball joints

Bump steer spacers

All new steering parts and box adjustment

Swazi wheels with 195/50/15

Box brace

Fresh alignment

So the Cat at Les Schwab that did the alignment said it all looked great and aligned out fine. But anything over 65 gets very tricky to change lanes or keep a strait line for that matter. So my questions… I was looking at adjustable TC rod for more caster, how much can I safely get with stock LCA’s? And how much will adjusting the coil over’s effect the toe? I’ve been trying to rap my head around the geometry of it all, but it’s a little beyond me. Any help will be great.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how much caster. But you can get more with stock bushings than poly. 510s are a nightmare on roads with grooves. Not wide enough. I've driven 510s with "suspension" felt about the same on lane Changes. I'm not touching my suspension untill I get an adjustable rear x member. Just pushing the body down I can visibly see it toe in. Talk to nelson at altered motives.

So the Cat at Les Schwab that did the alignment said it all looked great and aligned out fine. But anything over 65 gets very tricky to change lanes or keep a strait line for that matter.

If we assume that the alignment is perfect then we should look at the tires, front strut shock inserts, rear shocks or maybe the sway bar.

Talk to nelson at altered motives.

Phil. thanks for the tip , I have seen his shop before on my way to the wrecking yard.

If we assume that the alignment is perfect

Mike. I didn't see any print outs on what was done by Schwab, but since the only adjustment they could make was toe he may not of looked any further. I did ask about camber on the front, and was told it was fine. but as far as caster... I dont know. I do have a 1" front sway (thanks Phil) and new GR-2 all around, the rears on coilovers with some camber lean. but no other mods to the rear yet.

Sounds like the rear is trcking weird take the rear tires andx stick them on the front and see what happens

The rears are 195/60/15 and will not fit in the front without rubbing the foot well on turns. besides its more of a "steering wheel" thing and less of a "butt to seat thing", if you know what I mean.

Can anyone tell me how much ride height effects toe? I would like to drop the front another ½ in. but I don’t want to pay for another alignment.

Phil. thanks for the tip , I have seen his shop before on my way to the wrecking yard.

Mike. I didn't see any print outs on what was done by Schwab, but since the only adjustment they could make was toe he may not of looked any further. I did ask about camber on the front, and was told it was fine. but as far as caster... I dont know. I do have a 1" front sway (thanks Phil) and new GR-2 all around, the rears on coilovers with some camber lean. but no other mods to the rear yet.

You could put on level ground and place a small torpedo level, I have a magnetic one, vertically on the rim and see if it is indeed vertical or the camber is way off. If lowered, the back camber will be out which has a weird effect when cornering. Stick the level against the rear rims too.

Yea, the rears have obvious camber from being lowered, but the fronts are right on level. It drives great on surface streets, but going in a strait line at highway speeds is not so easy.

What I would really like to know is there is an affordable solution to the LCA’s (spherical bearing or adjustable bushings). I would like adjustable TC rods, but don’t really need adjustable LCA’s. Once the alignment is set I don’t plan on changing it. As far as the rear is concerned I’m planning on slotting the rear cross member and once its aligned welding the washers in place.

It's kind of moot without knowing what your specs are. But if it's "squirrelly" it's probably a toe issue, high speed cruising it's best w/ 0 toe. Rears should be 1/8" to 1/4" toe in (each side). You can string your cars wheels back to front to find out basically what's going on.

When I bought my 510 it had a Grant steering wheel on it and was so hard to control at freeway speeds,I changed it out to a SSS stock diameter size steering wheel (thanks GOICHI) and problem solved,if you are running a smaller that stock steering wheel go a bit bigger in diameter.

I dont think its a rear toe issue.unless really slammed. But even then . I was slammed at one time and drove straight very well at high speeds(at least for a 510).

mY set up now I got camber in back and Im fine. Before the crash in my 510 with stock front 35 year old steering parts.Now I have the T3 adjust TC rods and Troy Ermons A arms Drives and stopps better than before . But before wasnt that bad for a front suspension that was never worked on.

I would have got better than GR2s myself

dont have a small steering wheel!!!!!!!!!

adjsut the slop out at the steerin box.

unidirectional tire?

Do you have unidirectional tires? i had them on the front,brand new,my front end is in good shape the car is lowered but not slammed.I didnt have a problem until i put new tires on the front.My car wandered all over the place,i took it to the alignment shop and for 50.00 he told me it was probably the tires.I switched the rears to the front,the rears are not unidirectional and the problem was solved.Try checking the tires out before you spend a bunch of money.

When I bought my 510 it had a Grant steering wheel on it and was so hard to control at freeway speeds,

It does have a small steering wheel, about 12". I have been looking for a new one but the bigest I have found is 13.5". think that will do it?

How much slop is in the steering box? A lot of slop can make it feel that way as well.

Box is tight, have gone through it with new oil and adjustment.

I would have got better than GR2s myself

there is so much to buy just to get it on the road that better shocks where cost prohibitive.

Do you have unidirectional tires?

I do have new unidirectional tires on the front only. I cant swap rear to front becouse the rears are 60 searies and rub the foot well. did the unidirectional tires give you any problems on the rear?

It does have a small steering wheel, about 12". I have been looking for a new one but the bigest I have found is 13.5". think that will do it?

I have an extra 510 wheel you could test out on there to see if its the problem or not.

Do you have unidirectional tires? i had them on the front,brand new,my front end is in good shape the car is lowered but not slammed.I didnt have a problem until i put new tires on the front.My car wandered all over the place,i took it to the alignment shop and for 50.00 he told me it was probably the tires.I switched the rears to the front,the rears are not unidirectional and the problem was solved.Try checking the tires out before you spend a bunch of money.

Corace! I think this guy might be on to something my car is doing exactly the same as yours. Everything in my front end is brand new,been aligned its the only thing left that I can think of.

Box is tight, have gone through it with new oil and adjustment.

there is so much to buy just to get it on the road that better shocks where cost prohibitive.

I do have new unidirectional tires on the front only. I cant swap rear to front becouse the rears are 60 searies and rub the foot well. did the unidirectional tires give you any problems on the rear?

Corace,i have not noticed anything unusual about the unidirectional tires on the rear.Like i was saying before this car never had any kind of wandering or pulling to one side problem until i put the unidirectional on the front.I didnt no there could be an issue or i would not have bought them.It was all the tire store could get at the time.I am running 205-60-13 on 13" x 7" libres on all four.