IM new and have a question!?

Well to starts, i got a 77 620 long bed that i pulled out of the weeds about 7 months ago. i bagged it myself got it running pretty well myself and now i drive the piss out of it.

heres when i got it

datsun.jpg

and her it is now

thugbug.jpg

slammed.jpg

now to my question part. it has the 2.0 with the 4 speed . i topped this thing out out at 55 mph. well i wanna drive to arkansas next month to a truck show so i can just redo the rear end for high way or what all i got to do to run 65 or 75 comfortably

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can pull a rear gear out of a 720 or HB pick up they came with a few different gear sets and the 720 had a gas saver gear set that was like a 3.50 gear but some of the HBs had a 3.70 and are probably easier to find... the gear ratio is listed at the bottom of the vin plate on the inside left fender side in the engine bay

Clayton

people also overlook plugged exhaust systems as well as a simple rule-out( rotted pipe internally occasionally , crappy or cheap mufflers i have seen fail as fast as 2 years ---- I end up cutting the things off or going to a free flow of some type , sometimes you can't tell until it has starting/powerband issues )

55 something is wrong with your truck. My l16 powered 620 would do 95

word, I can hit 90 in my goon with stock (gutless) L16 and 4 speed

My stock goon with L16 and 3spd auto hit 87mph loaded with all my crap for college.

yep yep. i do 70mph at 4000rpm's with my l16 and 4 speed. i assume you guys are redlining at 90mph???? i can do 80+ but cant really look down at my tach when going that fast.

now to my question part. it has the 2.0 with the 4 speed . i topped this thing out out at 55 mph. well i wanna drive to arkansas next month to a truck show so i can just redo the rear end for high way or what all i got to do to run 65 or 75 comfortably

If it tops out at 55 then you have problems that can't be fixed with a lower rear end. The stock '77 should be good for 90+

The '77 standard or automatic would have a 4.375 ratio rear end. Even if it had a 4.875 it would still do 70 or better. 55 is just plain wrong.

What gas mileage are you getting? Does it smoke and burn oil?

Things to look at:

Is the secondary opening on the carb?

Is the choke stuck on?

I think they meant a lower geared rear end wouldnt help your top speed issue and its an engine issue. You'll wana for sure get the timing fixed if you do a lot of highway driving

i didnt put lower gears i put higher gears. and thanks for the advice, im not that great at mechanics work, i like the old fashion cutting torch and stick welder =)

The '77 standard or automatic would have a 4.375 ratio rear end. Even if it had a 4.875 it would still do 70 or better. 55 is just plain wrong.

What gas mileage are you getting? Does it smoke and burn oil?

Things to look at:

Is the secondary opening on the carb?

Is the choke stuck on?

i put a weber on it, and it doesnt burn oil or smoke, i dont think the choke sticks i can tell when it kicks off i believe like i said not a great mechanic and not thought of it as a engine issue so i will have to check those as best i can