I'm "sponsored"!!! UPDATED!!!

I'll take an Ebay sponsor :P

No, I need 80 more quarts to clear it :( jk lol

The paint is available anywhere really. You can buy it at most autoparts stores by the quart for between 20-$30 depending on what you're buying. If you look in the original post, theres a link to a page with all their colors availible in their PaintShop line of products. All are designed to be painted by guys like us, in a garage or paintbooth for a good price. They make AMAZING paint. I think its oilbased? I'm not too sure. It is really good paint though. DupliColor makes great products for everything. They're a division of Sherwin Williams paint. They make paint for just about anything.

Here's an example of what it looks like being painted;

/

It's cool that you're getting free paint, any way you look at it! It's a lacquer based paint. Lacquer paints were kind of replaced years ago for automotive use, so draw your own conclusions. If you do some research you'll find the pros and cons of lacquer (most notably ease of use vs durability in the elements). Also, that guy painting wearing only a dust mask is a flaming idiot. Lacquer solvents are not very cool to breath and a dust mask does nothing to help you.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool that you're getting free paint, any way you look at it! It's a lacquer based paint. Lacquer paints were kind of replaced years ago for automotive use, so draw your own conclusions. If you do some research you'll find the pros and cons of lacquer (most notably ease of use vs durability in the elements). Also, that guy painting wearing only a dust mask is a flaming idiot. Lacquer solvents are not very cool to breath and a dust mask does nothing to help you.

You are right, it is lacquer. And yes, lacquer does have it's negatives. It runs easy, orange peels, etc. But properly painted makes a beautiful paint. It isn't the best paint but is incredible for the price per quart. And yes, the guy does not use proper painting techniques.

UPDATE!

This guy want $500 to do a deep paint job on the car. He said most shops will charge around $2500 for a good paint job. Opinions?

If he uses his own equipment.......

And get a contract,,,,,, I don't want to hear the price double after he is halfway thru painting........... Does that price include prep-work?

I always wear a respirator (even for sanding) ........ You are too young to breathe a multi-stage paintjob Matt

The price includes the labor, which is all paint, masking, sanding etc. No bodywork though, which means I have to have the body good and straight before I take it IF I take it.

I wonder what candy paint would do to my lungs blink.gif

Non hardened paint uses solvents to dry. Those solvents typically cause kidney and central nervous system damage. It's usually a cumulative effect. Old painters who sprayed lacquer and straight enamel without hardeners died like drunks. Shaky with shot livers.

I'm sure the solids in the paint aren't good for your lungs but at least it's not lead based like back in the day. Hardeners in modern paints solidify in your lungs. Doesn't come out either. Kinda treats ya like asbestos. The shit is seriously toxic and the industry needs some strict oversight and education.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a prime example of what can happen to you when the proper equipment is not used to protect you from harsh chemicals. I used to paint Aircraft for the Navy and now suffer from many medical issues. I worked around it all and even wore protection. Worst was the MEK's and Touline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received this message via Facebook this morning after posting on Duplicolors wall asking about clear coats. They promptly responded with this:

Hey Matt,

My name is Steve. I work with Dupli-Color. I responded to your message that you posted on our Facebook page. I wanted to send you a private message regarding your plan to use RustOleum on your car. This is something we wouldn't recommend, especially the roll-on application they promote. If you're using a HVLP spray gun we would recommend the Dupli-Color Paint Shop line. It is specifically formulated for automotive applications, and on top of that it is easy to use.

As a thank you for being our fan on Facebook, I'd like to offer you some Paint Shop product. Attached is a link to our color offering. Let me know what color you want, where to ship it, and the type of vehicle (so I know how much paint to send) and I'll send you the product for free. All we would ask is that you post some pics on Facebook when you're done.

Paint Shop requires the use of a HVLP spray gun as well.

http://www.facebook....id=132460550435

FREE PAINT!!! Someone help me pick out a color!

sunkist orange? tangerine orange? competition orange? saftey orange? any orange except fugly burnt gangsta orange