has the ricer bs died out?

So as it goes I lost my job 2 years ago and got a job at a muffler shop until I got my job back at a different location 1 year ago. 6 months at a muff shop was some of the coolest dirty work I could imagine, It was at the tail end of the fart can era and I saw many ricers getting it toned down because of the law cracking down. I know there is a decibel law but they only really focused on the really shitty sounding pipes(2 1/2" pipe perf cat or none into an amplifier of a shitty muffler).

I spend 2+ hours of traffic time each day on I5 and 16 and just dont hear the fart cans so much any more.. yahoo!!!..maybe,but they ruined it for me because my car was loud but sounded way cool compared to annoying shit.

What Im saying is,is the fart can era over?? I hope so,but did it ruin it for the true classic rollers?? I got pulled over for loudness and he said I wasnt allowed to use a performance muffler even on a 40 year old car?? Said I need to put it stock...fuck that I added a glasspack so its not so raspy at 5k but its still loud and thats how its gonna stay..!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got pulled over for loudness and he said I wasnt allowed to use a performance muffler even on a 40 year old car?? Said I need to put it stock...fuck that I added a glasspack so its not so raspy at 5k but its still loud and thats how its gonna stay..!

He's full of shit. Custom exhaust is perfectly legal. It just can't be over the decibel limit of the stock exhaust and if your car is new enough it still must pass emissions. Tone has not much to do with decibels.

Exhaust – No person shall modify the exhaust system of

a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase

the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that

emitted by the muffle originally installed on the vehicle.

RCW 46.37.390 & WAC 204-10-038

It's always amazes me how little the cops know the law and how they pick and choose what to enforce, based on their opinion of what is right and wrong. Not to mention the fact that most vehicles sold from the dealer are in violation of a couple RCW's before they even leave the lot. :rolleyes:

here the fart cans have gone from buzzzz, to a low tone. our laws state your tailpipe has to remain stock or very close to stock diameter. also no vehicle shall have louder than 91 db. any year make etc. as long as it passes emmisions. i worked for the local fuzz for 5 years as a mechanic. so i borrowed the law book and db reader. huge gray area, it doesnt specify rpm or where the db are tested from, front back etc.. so i tested all my freinds/family, even stock most can fail at 5000 rpm. some engine were louder than the exhaust.

2eDeYe' date='22 May 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1274547062' post='306203']

It's always amazes me how little the cops know the law and how they pick and choose what to enforce, based on their opinion of what is right and wrong. Not to mention the fact that most vehicles sold from the dealer are in violation of a couple RCW's before they even leave the lot. :rolleyes:

Had a cop tell me that I had to have bumpers on the Pumpkn car and I laughed in his face! :lol: Dicks <_<

Had a cop tell me that I had to have bumpers on the Pumpkn car and I laughed in his face! :lol: Dicks <_<

Well thats a little different. If it came from the factory with a bumper its gotta stay but if not your cool. Kinda like old cars that came stock without seatbelts. You dont have to put one in.

i went out of my way went i got the exhaust for my se-r.. the engine i have is notorious for putting out that raspy pissed off bee's nest sound.. i wanted something that would flow good but not turn heads.. so i went with 2.5 mandrel bent piping and a 18x5 Magnaflow resonator after the cat, and a 4x9x18 Magnaflow muffler.

I gotta say it sounds pretty good.. nice deep throaty growl with no pissed off bee's heh..

If it came from the factory with a bumper its gotta stay but if not your cool.

Thats what he said. The real rules state that you cant remove them if it makes your car more dangerous in a car v ped accident. And they were writing me up for everything they could find that day!

I also had a cop actually start writing a HUGE seatbelt ticket to me and like 7 of friends in high school. That is until I informed him that it was a 65 New Yorker and the front seatbelts (that were being worn) were options!

Find out the laws on your own, we are all painfully aware thar SOME cops are lame, and have it in for custom vehicles!

i wish.

there was a gaggle of reDONKulous land rovers out yesterday, with a contingent of 7 civics 4 of em had pink tape graphics :rolleyes:

When it comes to DB levels, my only response is ...

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! :fu:

or "where is your dB meter?" maybe your est speed calculator is OK, but your ears are not!

ive gotten every 'loud exhaust' ticket dismiseed w/using a dB meter.

or just another LEO opinion <_<