My Girlfriend is mad at me now... but i hope to join the family

Madness

Not to long ago, my good buddy Troy pulled up a craigslist post with his cell phone while on the way back home from a jobsite, "Check it out" he said. I replied, "what the hell is that?", "71 Datsun Pickup", with a big grin on his face. "Thats pretty cool, how much? Does it run?", "I don't know... They want a dirt bike for it, or 600 bucks". "You've got a dirt bike, kinda. Well, most of one" I said. "Eh... Ill give him a call, couldn't hurt" Troy said, shrugging his shoulders. 24 hours, 200 miles, and one busted dirt bike later he came home with this little pickup loaded up on trailer.

That same night i reached the end of the internet and felt like going on a drive in my recently rebuilt toyota pickup. I found myself driving past Troys place, twisting my neck to gaze at the mini truck sitting in front of his one bedroom shack in the heart of Frederick. Curious i pulled over to see if the guy was home and was met in the middle of the street by my friend with a bud light in his hand and a new key in his pocket. "Check it out! Freakin' clean!" with excitement in his voice.

I walked around the Datsun for a bit giving the approval nod noticing the few flaws that it did have. "Step inside" as he unlocked the door. "Damn!" I said, amazed over the simple and clean interior. He opened the hood to expose the simple 1.6 liter carbed motor. "You know troy" I said, "I've been looking for something like this for a long time, How much do you want for it?". "A bullet side" he said.

Later on in the week, I put my 92 S10 on craigslist, Troy and I found a 72 bullet side at a junk yard that we now call the museum and now i own that clean little 71 Datsun 521.

da3568c50b90.jpg

What i sold for it...

Truck3.jpg

I hope to really get to know all you guys. From what I've seen you're a pretty tight knit group that i would love to be a part of.

-Bart

Oh yeah, my girlfriend wanted me to get a newer audi... What fun would that be? :rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are a riot for sure. The bumperetts are stickin around :fu:, same with the girlfriend. I just emptied my memory card tonight so ill get to medium quality pictures for all of you.

my plans... well, i've ordered everything i can find that goes around the engine and just found all the internals for the 1.6. I made a huge mistake an started searching on ebay and punching my credit card number in. I've got 14" port a walls, 13sq feet of dynamat, window felts, and heater hoses on the way. And just spent 80 bucks at the junkyard i was talking about earlier "the museum" with the history of mini trucks all lined up to part out. I plan on making this a fun, reliable summer daily with a few puffy black bags here and there ;). Im thinking about trying to make it as era correct as possible though. Im an old school guy. :cool:

Thats Troy's back yard. So far we have my 71, Troys 72 bullet side, Aj's 84 Nissan (hard body?) and Dawn's 85 or 86 extended cab nissan. Plus a round body and a square body S10. I think monday afternoon we had 10 mini trucks back there total... the start of a club named "Scrapin by Kustoms" (i know, a little cheesy, but clever)

So yeah I'll get some more pictures up for you guys tomorrow after picking up some parts. :thumbup:

-Bart

Does anyone know where a guy can get a carpet kit???

What's up Madness?

Glad to see another Colorado kid up here!:) Seems like you and Bob down in Monument are the only other ones here. I am gonna give you a couple pics of my truck, maybe youll get some good input from another oldschool guy.:rolleyes:

P7280001.jpg

P7280005.jpg

A couple rim options make the truck look way different.

Bob was talking about getting this little truck from Eckley when it was on Craigslist. I am really glad that you got it though...he already has a 320 and a 520...;) so lets spread the love.

I would love to hear more about this little "museum" of yours...I could use a couple pieces. Shoot me a message with some info on it, I will buy you lunch when I come down.

Nice truck man, look forward to seeing more pics, the interior was really nice on this one, good job:D

Sounds like we Colorado boys should get together! I could set it up to meet at my place in Monument. I have ALOT of room and a Huge shop I call the "GARAGEMAHAL" :D It's a great place to hang out and consume some adult beverages. It would be best for me to meet here, as both of my Dattos are not running now. :eek:

Let me know!

Bob3

Great pics man! What a great lookin; truck! Was it lowered when you got it, or have you since turned the old screws on 'er and dropped it your self?

FYI...if you need some hard parts, there are some left on a 521 in the old A1 salvage near Fountain in the south part of Colorado Springs. It's called U-pull &Pay now, after an ownership change within the last year. 719)392-5900

I picked up the dual point dizzy from it and some other little pieces.

Hey BOB...sounds good to me. I can make the drive if anyone else is interested in it. I can bring a bunch of chips and salsa to pitch in:D.

Funny story...I was at the JY the other day and there was a lowered S-10 there in the parking lot, so I backed in next to him...:rolleyes:the same way he was. When I came out there was a note on the window from a guy that liked the 521 and wants to chill with some other "mini" guys. We are hoping to try to cruise a little tomorrow afternoon on Federal...maybe get some Sonic or somethin. From the sounds of it there will be 3 or 4 little lowered trucks. Maybe in the future we can make it 7..or 10 :cool: