Begging for a Datsun 510

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try not to be impulsive...agree with all $500 will barely get you a shell, even a $1,000 510, you'll be lucky...maybe $3,500..and begging will not get you far..I say 99% of 510 owners know what their car is worth and have put in a lot of time, effort, money, resources and this does not include the blood, sweat and tears..

Try not to be impulsive...agree with all $500 will barely get you a shell, even a $1,000 510, you'll be lucky...maybe $3,500..and begging will not get you far..I say 99% of 510 owners know what their car is worth and have put in a lot of time, effort, money, resources and this does not include the blood, sweat and tears..

of the three I've owned, the most expensive was the current one I have @ 1000. I totally agree on the not so great shape. but it gives you a cheap in and you can find a cheap clean shell later on.

there was a completely garbage 510 for 400 on cl in LA recently.

of the three I've owned, the most expensive was the current one I have @ 1000. I totally agree on the not so great shape. but it gives you a cheap in and you can find a cheap clean shell later on.

there was a completely garbage 510 for 400 on cl in LA recently.

the white 1 on the trailer? he was selling that thing for like 2 months i think...

Most of the time, it may sound like a good deal up front but these cars are like 39 years old and they will require a lof work...Think about this if you buy a shell for $500, engine? maybe $500, Tranny, if lucky comes with it, but not maybe $100, then seats, interior stuff, what about supsension, paint, back registration and so on..so by the time your done trying to get this thing going as a "runner" not a daily driver you will spend like $5K and maybe even more...because like most people they tend to follow the rest of the herd and want "coil overs" with this you have to buy new inserts, shocks, etc. What about fuel delivery, sidedrafts or SUs or EFI, then you will want to change your tranny to a 5 speed, more mods....this is considering you don't have any issues with electrical, which can be a huge headache..btw wil you work on this car or someone else?

at least your in the right area for finding this gem, unfortunately there are probably 20 more doing the same thing (me for instance)

they do pop up, but you better be first!

ive called ads placed in the am and by noon the car is already sold!

patience. also allows the funds to increase.

I bought a 510 for $400 and drove it to seattle the same day from portland. The heater even worked! When I came home 4 days later the alt went out. So i swapped in an L20. haha. Poor L16. I have no idea where it went, But I bet it was in good shape still.

Back in 1987 my brother saw a 2 door 510 sitting in a field up in sedro woolley. He already had a 510 and knew I was looking for a street car because we both had 510 race cars. So I went up to the house and talked to the guy. He said it was his daughters,drove it back and forth to college. Something had gone wrong with it so it had sat in that field for a year or two.He said he would sell it,I drained the old gas,pumped up the flat tire and put a battery in it,had to file the points took about 2 hours to get it running. Gave the old man 50.00$ And drove it 30 miles home on 4 different tires. Those days are long gone but what a great memory.

I have a question if you do an engine swap in ca like a ka or sr swap on a 68-72 510 the vehicle will stay smog exempt right? cause it will still be registered as a 69-72 please correct me if im wrong

I have a question if you do an engine swap in ca like a ka or sr swap on a 68-72 510 the vehicle will stay smog exempt right? cause it will still be registered as a 69-72 please correct me if im wrong

Nope.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13775-i-just-got-bar-reffed-in-my-car/page__p__184352__fromsearch__1entry184352

Need all factory emmisions in place, and needs to be inspected and pass BAR ref and get an approved sticker.

Otherwise bend over and take a 600 dollar ticket

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.