Little sister got in car crash :(

My little sis called me at 2am the other night during our last healthy rainstorm.

She said she had flipped her truck and was on the side of the freeway with the police.

Turns out it was a little gnarlier than that...

Apparently, during the heaviest part of the rain, she was entering an onramp (right hand corkscrew type) and was getting up to speed when she hit standing water (built up under the overpass), hydroplaned, and drifted counter-clockwise, and clipped her front wheels on the median dividing the onramp from the freeway, and flipped it onto the passenger side with the undercarriage facing oncoming traffic and headlights pointing at the center divider.

She said that she remembers several young people standing on top of the overturned truck, holding open her driver door and trying to help her get out the top.

While she was standing inside the cab, (on the pass door) another car hit her truck at speed, sending the people helping her flying down the freeway, and sending the truck spinning, eventually ending up righted.

The people who were thrown were transported quickly, and all lived. My sister got thrown around pretty good inside the cab, but was probably saved by being in there.

She's pretty banged and cut up, but ok.

Just thought i'd put it out there that situations can go from bad to waay worse in seconds, so please be careful out there! And also, appreciate the ones you love, because they may not be there tomorrow!

some pics: the severe damage is all from the second vehicle (minivan)

DSCN3054.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

DSCN3049.jpg

DSCN3053.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad she is OK man! I have a younger sister, and would feel the same way!!!

This is unrelated, but the other night I was driving down a little road, saw some cops with lights on, as I passed I saw a freakin dead moose in the middle of the road! Can you imagine hitting a moose!!!!!

looks like those tires are about slicks and with Positive camber wear. That probably played a roll in her drifting counter clock wise...:rolleyes:

Glad she's ok though!

This is a good point. It looks to me like this front tire is worn beyond the wear indicators, although I don't see any bad camber wear. It actually looks to me like the tire has been over-inflated as the wear is primarily in the middle and the fronts look pretty hard/no bulge at the bottom. No tread + over inflating is a sure recipe for poor wet traction.

b3sktrv3.jpg

Good to hear she's okay, though. That's a pretty gnarly series of events. Did this happen around Atascadero?

So glad she is OK man! I have a younger sister, and would feel the same way!!!

This is unrelated, but the other night I was driving down a little road, saw some cops with lights on, as I passed I saw a freakin dead moose in the middle of the road! Can you imagine hitting a moose!!!!!

Even worse, hitting it in a little Datsun!

This is a good point. It looks to me like this front tire is worn beyond the wear indicators, although I don't see any bad camber wear. It actually looks to me like the tire has been over-inflated as the wear is primarily in the middle and the fronts look pretty hard/no bulge at the bottom. No tread + over inflating is a sure recipe for poor wet traction.

Good to hear she's okay, though. That's a pretty gnarly series of events. Did this happen around Atascadero?

the accident actually happened in Burbank on the 5. When i was driving to get her, around 5am, the 5 further north had been shut down due to a multiple car/death accident.

and, there was another one in Griffith park same morning! Goes to show; Californian drivers + rain = death.

the tires had just been rotated- those are the former rears. They didn't look camber worn- still pretty square, but definitely needed to be replaced.

b3sktrv3.jpg

The second row on the outside appears to be more worn then the second row on the inside. IDK maybe your right but, thats just how I'm seeing it...

And yes it does look like there is over inflation wear.

the tires had just been rotated- those are the former rears. They didn't look camber worn- still pretty square, but definitely needed to be replaced.

yah how former? It appears to me that an alignment issue and over inflated tires played big roll in this. (pun not intended)

Didnt the person who hit her notice they were going twards an over turned vehicle, Glad to hear shes ok

if the rain was bad enough they wouldn't have. i have had the rain bad enough so i couldn't see the end of the hood on a 78 corrola.

as for your sis man, glad she and everyone else are ok.

if the rain was bad enough they wouldn't have. i have had the rain bad enough so i couldn't see the end of the hood on a 78 corrola.

as for your sis man, glad she and everyone else are ok.

Yeah, but...uhh...this is southern california. Our "torrential downpour" is like a light mist where you live :lol:

Yeah, but...uhh...this is southern california. Our "torrential downpour" is like a light mist where you live :lol:

agreed. however, this last storm was legit. I grew up in central california, where healthy storms are a regular occurrence, and can vouch for the potency of this last thunderstorm- it was DUMPING. our rain collection tanks topped out in the first 15 minutes !!!