My Space

I guess I forgot to update the my space thread when I got the mill/drill :) Picked it up last Aug?

Previously in My Space......

DCP_7059.jpg

I've easily spent double the cost of the mill just on tooling!! :(

It even came home in a Datsun :)

ATT00040.jpg

Couldn't leave well enough alone......actually, I tore it down to clean it :)

DCP_7122.jpg

yep....it's taller than me, but that's not saying much!

DCP_7124.jpg

It weighs over 800lbs if I remember right.....it ain't light!

DCP_7090.jpg

ooooo.....chiiiiiips!!

DCP_7155.jpg

this was a solid block....I was playing with the rotary table :)

DCP_7157.jpg

DCP_7158.jpg

and this would be the rotary table

DCP_7161.jpg

so there's a power feed on the x axis that's not in the pics and I still don't have the DRO (digital readout) setup yet. The front panel is off because I have a digital caliper style reader for the z axis, which I haven't put on yet.

Anyway.....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude,sick!Its cool to se a Datto pickup hauling 800#s and still sitting high.Put 800#s in a 2wd ford ranger and almost all steering control is lost since its squatting 5"s.

Your space is grand!I will show some pics of why I have to do all of my datto work outside.

Dude,sick!Its cool to se a Datto pickup hauling 800#s and still sitting high.Put 800#s in a 2wd ford ranger and almost all steering control is lost since its squatting 5"s.

Your space is grand!I will show some pics of why I have to do all of my datto work outside.

Her suspension is still stock with the figure 8 bumpstops in back. That little rig hauls stuf quite nicely.....and with the discs up front, I don't have to worry about stopping it :)

Look forward to seeing "your space" :)

Mike coudl you build me an aluminum alternator bracket for my sr :D It would be good practice :D

So...nobody noticed my other comment about how to do multiple quotes in the same reply.....any instructions there buddy?

The bracket....probably....but I gotta get the DRO's installed on the mill and the lathe first. Are you going to come down on a tues morning and spend the day helping me build it? :)

Click the quotes + buttom next to the normal quote botton, the oder you click them the order they will show up in you reply. You have to reply in the main reply as well not the quick reply.

cool...thanks! I'll change the siggy when I'm brighter!! :)

2eDeYe;30078']Nice mill...What did it set you back total' date=' if you don't mind me asking?

I see some sweet parts coming outta yourspace soon :D[/quote']

It's normally about a grand, but I printed out the online price which was $100 less, then used a 15% off coupon....paid about $750 in the end. Got the extended warranty and the stand which put it almost back up to the original. The DRO's were $750each(lathe/mill) from a guy in Spokane. Powerfeed about $250? Rotatry $210shipped? Then a couple of orders from Enco that came in around $800? Like I said....the mill was the cheap part!!! But, I bought the stuff with the intention of making dato parts to sell.....so hopefully, I can make this a self supporting hobby.....I'm getting tired of working overtime :)

Mike "your space" is far to clean & organized..:D Love the mill too, cleaning up the chips may be a pain though.

Shoes tracking chips in on the carpet....now that's a pain!!!!

magnetic floor mats!

do they make such a thing?? Usually, they're stuck in the sole like staples.

Let me know when you need some parts CNC'd....:blink:

Hell....I'd love to just come watch it! :)

this is why I have to work outside.There is a carpet divider and all the other walls are padded with carpet and foam panels and such.

very nice....but doesn't do a thing for me. I had a fully equipped wood shop in my shop before I put the garage door in(walled in by original owner) and the stuff never got used. Once the garage door went in, a '33 chev hotrod came in for work the next day!! It took me 20 years to figure out what I really wanted to play with. Once I figured it out, it's been pretty easy to let some of the other hobbies go. We all have datsuns in common, but only a few of the guys on here actually eat, sleep, breathe them. I love them, but fabricating comes first. The datos are the canvas for now.....that canvas might change, but the fabricating will continue :)

We all have datsuns in common, but only a few of the guys on here actually eat, sleep, breathe them. I love them, but fabricating comes first. The datos are the canvas for now.....that canvas might change, but the fabricating will continue :)

I can't agree more! I keep thing I will get them out of my system, but instead it gets worse! :D My dad always tells me I should keep them stock. I always reply, "how fun would that be?"

They are my canvas too :D Something tells me that won't change. It was 10 years ago when I fell in love with them and it sure hasn't changed. I feel myself drifting the same way as you Mike. How I love to fabricate!! Sometimes I think its good all of use datto guys don't live to close. The women in our life's would be really PISSED!! We'd be out in Mikes shop all night build crazy parts, keeping the neighbors up from all the welding and grinding :D A little closer wouldn't be bad though :D 3 hours is just to damn far.

Keep us posted on "Your Space" :D I want to see some more custom pieces :D

• 9 months later...

New addition to My Space :) Plasma cutting table :)

I got a bent up grating from A100addict awhile back. I finally got around to cutting out the best section. I had it sitting on two scrap buick rims and got tired of being down on the ground. So...I took about 15min and put some legs on it. The legs are section of scrap garage door openers from A100 as well. The diag braces are pieces of scrap bed frame. It's soooo much nicer being able to stand up. The plasma cable reach out the back door. There's a water hose less than 6' away. Won't be quite as nice if it's raining, but the table is light enough to move inside very easily. Anyway.... :)

0910081542-00.jpg

0910081542-01.jpg

DCP_8998.jpg

DCP_8999.jpg

DCP_9000.jpg

DCP_9001.jpg

yep...those are old brake drums. I made an adapter for the lathe to help cut the centers out of them to turn them into 1/4" spacers, but cutting them off the "bell" of the drum was too time consuming. I wanted to scrap the majority of the weight and cut down on storage space. I can set the centers aside 'til "whenever" and finish cutting them on the lathe later.

......as long as I'm here....

Another recent addition. I've known about this beam since we moved into the place 15+yrs ago. Only recently did I find a strong enough reason to pursue this option. I had a buddy(James-Dat-O-Lantern) run the numbers with one of his engineers and they say that even after accounting for the load of the house, I can suspend 5000 lbs from the center of this beam and still only have .200 of deflection. That's less than a 1/4". So....off I went to HF to get the trolly and the chain hoist :) I also shortened up the silver pull chain quite a bit. It lifted the motor so smooth and easily it wasn't funny! Not even a single creak from the house :) The trolley and hoist are rated at 2 ton, but I seriously doubt I'll ever put anything on it over about 800lbs.

DCP_8932.jpg

DCP_8933.jpg

DCP_8934.jpg

DCP_8935.jpg

DCP_8936.jpg

DCP_8937.jpg

DCP_8938.jpg

DCP_8939.jpg

Here's a few pics of the lathe adapter I was talking about......for those of you that enjoy the machine work end of things. I enjoy doing this kind of thing a lot more than actually working on rusty, greasy old datsun :)

The first pic shows that I can make the cut the drum off easy enough, but I found that in order to use the spacer on a hardbody hub, the center had to be opened up. I'd have to change to the 4 jaw chuck to grab the spacer from the outside....so I modified an hold 521 hub to hold the spacer by the bolt holes. I put a bit of countersink in the holes to the lug nuts would center the spacer better. Now I can cut the outside and the inside without having to change chucks. :)

DCP_8827.jpg

DCP_8837.jpg

DCP_8838.jpg

DCP_8839.jpg

DCP_8840.jpg

DCP_8841.jpg

DCP_8843.jpg

DCP_8844.jpg