performance tips and what do you have?

521Dave

What carb and cam setups are you guys and girls running?? Headers?, exhaust size? Looking for different combinations and what were your results?

Looking to beef up my L16 and want to see different combinations from rediculous to budget friendly, thanks!

Any setup I have no SMOG haha screw you California!

Dave521

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First:You DO have SMOG.You just don't have to have it tested annually.For the street-forget a header.Waste of money.Carb-if the Hitachi is good stay with it.If not-Webber time.Rig some type of cold air system.Then think about a cam..MAYBE.But before all this get the basics right:Distributor,timing chain.

Stock exhaust manifold will suit you fine, but open up the pipe back of that.

Do the basics. Full tuneup, adjust the valves. Make sure the compression is good.

Another option is to get a cam from a L-20-B engine, and get the rocker arms too, and keep them in the original location.

You can gain a little by advancing the ignition timing, but do not let the engine knock. You can also gain a bit by adjusting your valves .001 to .002 tighter, but you will have to check the clearance a lot, because that takes away a margin of safety, or tolerance you have with stock settings.

First:You DO have SMOG.You just don't have to have it tested annually.For the street-forget a header.Waste of money.Carb-if the Hitachi is good stay with it.If not-Webber time.Rig some type of cold air system.Then think about a cam..MAYBE.But before all this get the basics right:Distributor,timing chain.

Uh no smog test means no smog, I live here you don't so yeah that means no smog, thanks for the advice though. Why would a header mean no gains on the street?

Distributor is fine, timing chain is fine, looking for power not normal maintenance stuff thanks though!???

• Like 1

Stock exhaust manifold will suit you fine, but open up the pipe back of that.

Do the basics. Full tuneup, adjust the valves. Make sure the compression is good.

Another option is to get a cam from a L-20-B engine, and get the rocker arms too, and keep them in the original location.

You can gain a little by advancing the ignition timing, but do not let the engine knock. You can also gain a bit by adjusting your valves .001 to .002 tighter, but you will have to check the clearance a lot, because that takes away a margin of safety, or tolerance you have with stock settings.

How does a larger exhaust "after the stock manifold" equate to more power?...kind of like adding a larger intake manifold to a nonported head! NO GAINS FAIL!!

Uh I do know engines, looking for what you have run that works well not ridiculous advice thanksrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Hainz voice:

Throw it away!!!!!!!!! Get an old L20B!!! stock has 20 more hp stock. L16 cost a lot to make same hp. Cost the same to build and fix L20b. They are easy to work on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks will consider option,, were are some good places to find said magic engine? Any good remanufacturers or rebuilders? Or is it easier to rebuild myself?

Thanks,

• Like 1

"How does a larger exhaust "after the stock manifold" equate to more power?...kind of like adding a larger intake manifold to a nonported head! NO GAINS FAIL!!

Uh I do know engines, looking for what you have run that works well not ridiculous advice thanks"

You must be new to Datsuns, and the stock L-16 exhaust manifold. It is the closet thing you will ever find to "cast iron headers" you will ever find on a stock engine. No header hassles, it fits perfectly, and would take many, many years to rust out.

Plenty of other people on this board recommend the stock L-16 manifold, even on L-20 engines.

I do know engines, looking for what you have run that works well not ridiculous advice thanksrolleyes.gif

Looking to beef up my L16 and want to see different combinations from rediculous to budget friendly, thanks!

Some things may sound rediculous but still work. Stick with the L16/18 exhaust manifold. It breathes as good as an over hyped header. Most bang for the buck is a Weber 32/36 carb. Next is a slightly bigger cam. You could increase the exhaust pipe size but it messes with low speed torque and this is where you do most of your driving. Although they don't add power they do add reliability: An EI distributor and a high volume oil pump.

1st, check compression on your L16 before any mods..if low compression decide to rebuild and modify or get an L18 or L20..

ENGINE - If compression okay...keep orig. exhaust and run 2 or 2.25 pipes with some magnaflow (satin finish) not shiny stainless steel cost almost 2x as much or dynomax muffler, don't get glass packs, too loud...this will set you back about $300 more or less, depends where you go. People will tell you to go with bigger pipes but an engine needs backpressure or else you will defeat the purpose and actually lose HP/Torque.

* you may even want to advance timing from factory to about 2 degrees or till it pings....this will give you extra HP.

* also check for valve adjustment - not adjusted properly you loose power.

IGNITION - There are many choices for Distributor, some like going with matchbox with their dist. but Pertronix is okay too. Simple set-up - 2 wires. But the wires that come with the set-up is not long enough. Buy some NGK blue wires and some hi-po coil maybe 40K volts.

FUEL - IF its a stock L16 - L20 - go with 32/36 weber easy and not that expensive, there's a few here for sale. You will have a choice with manual or auto choke, I prefer manual choke. Watch out for chepo deluxe imitations like IMPY, some guy tried to pass it off as "same thing" it aint, it's a knock off..If it's a weber it will have weber stamp on it. Other than that good luck....

Some things may sound rediculous but still work. Stick with the L16/18 exhaust manifold. It breathes as good as an over hyped header. Most bang for the buck is a Weber 32/36 carb. Next is a slightly bigger cam. You could increase the exhaust pipe size but it messes with low speed torque and this is where you do most of your driving. Although they don't add power they do add reliability: An EI distributor and a high volume oil pump.

"Stick with the L16/18 exhaust manifold. It breathes as good as an over hyped header. Most bang for the buck is a Weber 32/36 carb."

Thanks! Now that makes sense thanks for the advice.

Uh no smog test means no smog, I live here you don't so yeah that means no smog, thanks for the advice though.

i live here too.

its true that pre 1975 vehicles are expempt from the bi annual test.

but you ought to read the rules regarding required smog equipment.

and ask the other californian who sold his modified pre '75 510, rather than comply with the state law.

i live here too.

its true that pre 1975 vehicles are expempt from the bi annual test.

but you ought to read the rules regarding required smog equipment.

and ask the other californian who sold his modified pre '75 510, rather than comply with the state law.

Weird! Just got mine and went to DMV registered it they didn't even look at it...walked in ..walked out nothing inbetween. It is missing parts, but I have brand new plates and tags and driving it around town everyday..no problem.

It is missing parts, but I have brand new plates and tags and driving it around town everyday..no problem.

& likely never will...

till you get a cop, low on the quota pole, and you open your hood and he decides that you need to go to the ref to evaluate your motor.

then you WILL comply w/the law or it wont be back on a CA road. :angry:

educate yourself! dont get caught ;)

& likely never will...

till you get a cop, low on the quota pole, and you open your hood and he decides that you need to go to the ref to evaluate your motor.

then you WILL comply w/the law or it wont be back on a CA road. angry.gif

educate yourself! dont get caught wink.gif

Good news everyone! Just got off the phone with DMV, I can do whatever the hell I want to that truck pigs can't touch me now! Muhahaha! BTW my lil bro is LAPD he said the same thing its exempt. I could put a twin turbo SBC in it if I wanted too, er actually get it to fit...you get the point.

I like this truck more everyday!

my l16 has stock manifold, 2.25" exhaust, weber 32/36, electronic iggy, a good tune up and good valve adustment. what helped the most with tuning is ign. timing. i run 38 deg. total, which is roughly 13/14 initial. depends on your plugs and condition of your system.

Yes cops can touch you specially if you have a loud exhaust and you get caught speeding and the cop is having a bad hair day...he can inquire about your exhaust, if it's legal, then can ask you to pop the hood. If the smog stuff is not there, he can write you up...this actually happend to me in Milpitas. When I bought my 510 like 6 years ago took out the silencer from the coffe can muffler and the cop pulled me over for loud exhaust, luckily he got a prantic call and told me to do something about the xhaust and told me he'll be wathin out for me. 2nd time, I had a 65 Falcon and running glasspacks, cop pulled me over in San Jose and asked about my exhaust, luckily the cop was having a good day and liked ol skool cars and all he did was advised me to get quieter mufflers..

Yes cops can touch you specially if ... the cop is having a bad hair day ... then can ask you to pop the hood.

exactly!!!

ask the lil bro how often some asshat pissed him off and he wrote em up, for everything!!!

:fu: the hood release is broken! :fu:

SBC? <_<

& likely never will...

then you WILL comply w/the law or it wont be back on a CA road. :angry:

educate yourself! dont get caught ;)

he cant make you open the hood without a warrent

Yes cops can touch you specially if you have a loud exhaust and you get caught speeding and the cop is having a bad hair day...he can inquire about your exhaust, if it's legal, then can ask you to pop the hood. If the smog stuff is not there, he can write you up...this actually happend to me in Milpitas. When I bought my 510 like 6 years ago took out the silencer from the coffe can muffler and the cop pulled me over for loud exhaust, luckily he got a prantic call and told me to do something about the xhaust and told me he'll be wathin out for me. 2nd time, I had a 65 Falcon and running glasspacks, cop pulled me over in San Jose and asked about my exhaust, luckily the cop was having a good day and liked ol skool cars and all he did was advised me to get quieter mufflers..

there is one thing you guys keep forgetting here his truck is a 72 i beleve there is NO smog equipment stock if it was never there to begin with how is it missing

That may be true but cops will even pull you over for loud exhaust, smog or not, just seems like cops in my area are just coming up with excuses to pull people over..hearing this with ol skool Toyota crowds too, light car being too low...all I am saying is stay below the radar screen, not have aloud exhaust, don't rev up your engines, tinting windows, even..so just because our cars don't need to be smog, 72 truck or not, cops will still pull over, specially now that speeding tickets, parking tickets and all of these tickets are like going up like carzy in CA.

That may be true but cops will even pull you over for loud exhaust, smog or not, just seems like cops in my area are just coming up with excuses to pull people over..hearing this with ol skool Toyota crowds too, light car being too low...all I am saying is stay below the radar screen, not have aloud exhaust, don't rev up your engines, tinting windows, even..so just because our cars don't need to be smog, 72 truck or not, cops will still pull over, specially now that speeding tickets, parking tickets and all of these tickets are like going up like carzy in CA.

Thanks for the tip, I dont care though the cops will always act like ass holes on a bad day. Only thing I care about is the disposition of the Judge he or she makes it stick otherwise couldn't care less what the cop thinks!

So what can I do outside of turbo or what have you run to crank up these 1.6's? Twin sidedrafts look kool and sound better but am I throwing my money away if there is an easier method? BTW my lil bro is one so I always have a get out of jail free card, and have spent many of time in court and behind bars...its my second home ....sniff sniff LOL!