performance tips and what do you have?

521Dave

exactly!!!

ask the lil bro how often some asshat pissed him off and he wrote em up, for everything!!!

twofinger_salute.gif the hood release is broken! twofinger_salute.gif

SBC? dry.gif

Oh yeah my brother is an asshole just like the rest....nice thing is I have every argument down good luck enforcing "ludacris peace officer bad day laws", against me. Oh and yeah I know for a fact, used to be a Honda GUY...oh no did I offend anyone?? Hopefully not I also had a 56 Chevy blown WITH very small mufflers used to get pulled over all the time! Funny thing is most Harley guys would roll buy and I would say, " um sir his exaust is twice as loud as mine and he has a smaller displacement how is that OK"?! Next thing I hear is sirens going after em! hhahahaha!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is one thing you guys keep forgetting here his truck is a 72 i beleve there is NO smog equipment stock if it was never there to begin with how is it missing

Yup 100% correct! I spoke TOO the DMV you guys know the Department Of Motor Vehicles. They said and I quote "A vehicle that is exempt which is 1975 or older vehicles can have any modification performed to the vehicle, due to the fact there are limited vehicles that fit into this catagory and are operated daily." "Since we do not test these vehicles it does not matter how the vehicle is driven, since we do not test anything is optional. I asked again, so if I wanted to put a different engine you would not care? "NO." What If I put an engine in from another vehicle would that also be OK? "YES."So they also recanted saying as long as the car-truck whatever is exempt than it does not matter what is done to exempt vehicle nothing will me asked or done since the said vehicle is exepmt from performing the bi-yearly test.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

The smog law in CA. is 2 sided. If 1975 and below no need no smog test but you must keep the smog stuff in tact.

http://www.riversidesmog.com/F.A.html

And like I said, just don't make it too loud that you attract the cops....

OH JEEZ with my most upmost respect I must say,WRONG! Sorry dude very not true, spoke to dmv they said no, spoke to LAPD they said no, also spoke to podunk la county sherrif they said nope, and hey guess what spoke to CHP they said nope. Why the hell do you belive a smog check station website over the actual dept enforcing the state law??? Oh yeah they want your money..sheesh and in RIVERSIDE for crying out loud! All those Knuckle draggers know is lifted trucks and cadillacs.

Uh dont make it loud? I could run straight pipe THEY CANT DO SHIT! Damn theres always somebody on forums comming up with ..."well my friends uncles cousins neibors sister got uh ticket so must be true, crap!"

BTW man looking for advice on what has worked for you..performance wise, not ambulance chaser advice..so what has worked for you? I'll never say,"dang good thing RacerX on ratsuns told me not to do such and such or i'd gotten a ticket.

Peace.

he cant make you open the hood without a warrent

You watch way to much law and order ..yes they can they can even strip search you. If the officer believes that you have something illegal they can tear your whole car apart, or have it impounded. There is a reason why an officer is THE MOST POWERFUL PERSON ON THE STREET. Warrents are only used for investigating Home property but there is even grey area there back in the '70's they changed the law in CA. All an officer has to do is suspect there is illegal activity going on behind the doors and they can walk right in. People confuse the fact that a car or truck is personal property, BUT it is operated on public roads so is treated as public property. Hence why its OK to be drunk in your own home but not while in your car, I know people who got a DUI while parked in there own drive way, shit you can get a DUI on a horse or get this a freakin wheel chair. Walk you say... well you'll just get a drunk in public, anyway you look at it you are in public.

he cant make you open the hood without a warrent ---

Oh yes they can, it's called probable cause..they can make you open your trunk, tell you and your buddies to go outside of car and wait for their K-9 unit or search themselves.

Dang just want performance tips K!

I feel like that kid in A Christmas Story, You'll shoot your eye out kid!

The reason why it seems like ppl are not giving you a straight answer is because 1). they have diffrent set-ups 2). with all honesty they want to guide you not mislead you because most of us here have tried various set-ups 3). it will depend on how thick your wallet is 4). there are not that many things you can do on a L series engine, that's why people do a KA,SR, VG and I just saw one with a Honda SC2000 engine...5). most important, life in itself, is not nicely packaged..so w/out sounding philosopical decide with your wallet in mind...good luck.

Dang just want performance tips K!

I feel like that kid in A Christmas Story, You'll shoot your eye out kid!

The reason why it seems like ppl are not giving you a straight answer is because 1). they have diffrent set-ups 2). with all honesty they want to guide you not mislead you because most of us here have tried various set-ups 3). it will depend on how thick your wallet is 4). there are not that many things you can do on a L series engine, that's why people do a KA,SR, VG and I just saw one with a Honda SC2000 engine...5). most important, life in itself, is not nicely packaged..so w/out sounding philosopical decide with your wallet in mind...good luck.

Well and thats great really. I am new to Datsuns but would like to know what setups are good for the wallet and make the most bang for buck and also tell me about the ridiculous swaps ie; has anyone put a 6cyl Z engine with 5 speed into a 521...I'm sure someone has! Sorry I've done several searches and can't find any. Any help is always appreciated. Also I am looking for the least modification type swaps basically I want to be able to reverse it back to OG. I understand some mods must be made, cool tell me about them so I can search for parts that I don't mind ruining. So I can at least be able to "upgrade something". I like upgrading old vehicles but its always worth more in OG condition. And I only plan on keeping her for the summer just want to play with her and if not, its always fun to "bench race". Right?! Man, so many exgirlfriends know what I mean...

I will step into this, even though you thought my idea of running a stock exhaust manifold, and upgrading the pipe after that was stupid.

Your 1972 did have the following smog equiptment on it. PCV system. Evaporative control system. It had an Air pump at one time, that dumped fresh air into the exhaust. It also had a dual point distributer that changed the ignition timing in third gear, some of the time.

The PVC system is good. it reroutes blowby gasses back into the engine and burns them. It also make your crankcase operate under a slight vacuum, and this helps prevent oil leaks.

The Evaporative system is also good. It traps fuel vapors, and can actually increast your fuel mileage very slightly.

The air pump did use a slight bit of horsepower, but if it is functioning, it does a really good job of burning unburned gas coming out of the engine. I do not think there are many 521 trucks with the air pump still working, they wear out.

If you have an air pump exhaust manifold, there are pipes that point to the exhaust valve, that can be cut off, if you want.

Most dual point distributer engines are probably better off with a more modern electronic distributer. Unless you like to check the points every 3000 miles, and replace then every 12,000 miles.

The cheapest "bang for the buck" is a tune up. Set timing. Adjust the valves.

I have already recommended exhaust system changes after the stock exhaust manifold.

I have put a five speed in my 521.

If you are thinking of putting a straight 6 Z car engine in the 521, you are in for a lot of body work to make it fit, it is too long. A V-6 would be a better fit.

A stock L-16 only has 97 cubic inches of displacement, and can put out about 96 Horsepower. It is already a fairly high performance engine. Unlike an American V-8, you do not have a lot of displacement to work with.

A L-18 or a L-20 engine will bolt in. After that things will get complicated in a hurry.

I will step into this, even though you thought my idea of running a stock exhaust manifold, and upgrading the pipe after that was stupid.

Your 1972 did have the following smog equiptment on it. PCV system. Evaporative control system. It had an Air pump at one time, that dumped fresh air into the exhaust. It also had a dual point distributer that changed the ignition timing in third gear, some of the time.

The PVC system is good. it reroutes blowby gasses back into the engine and burns them. It also make your crankcase operate under a slight vacuum, and this helps prevent oil leaks.

The Evaporative system is also good. It traps fuel vapors, and can actually increast your fuel mileage very slightly.

The air pump did use a slight bit of horsepower, but if it is functioning, it does a really good job of burning unburned gas coming out of the engine. I do not think there are many 521 trucks with the air pump still working, they wear out.

If you have an air pump exhaust manifold, there are pipes that point to the exhaust valve, that can be cut off, if you want.

Most dual point distributer engines are probably better off with a more modern electronic distributer. Unless you like to check the points every 3000 miles, and replace then every 12,000 miles.

The cheapest "bang for the buck" is a tune up. Set timing. Adjust the valves.

I have already recommended exhaust system changes after the stock exhaust manifold.

I have put a five speed in my 521.

If you are thinking of putting a straight 6 Z car engine in the 521, you are in for a lot of body work to make it fit, it is too long. A V-6 would be a better fit.

A stock L-16 only has 97 cubic inches of displacement, and can put out about 96 Horsepower. It is already a fairly high performance engine. Unlike an American V-8, you do not have a lot of displacement to work with.

A L-18 or a L-20 engine will bolt in. After that things will get complicated in a hurry.

Thank you! There is a God! Oh and didnt think your exhaust advice was dumb it was more my misunderstanding of what you ment. Ill be looking for an l18 and l20, now other than displacement what are the pros-cons of those engines??