Project: Skunk Works

pl521sss

I found Black Gold in Northern California (Modesto) and it's not in Texas.

Some Datsun's are considered worth more than gold.

Well at least to me, this one is black gold.

Found it on Craigslist. At first I thought it was a black primered 1969 Datsun 510 wagon. Check it out and inspected it all the way.

It didn't hit me right away and realized it's a factory Datsun Black Paint.

Yes, Datsun did came out with Black paint.

Only heard of it a few months ago after dealing Datsuns for more than a decade. Both front fenders are intact with badges and markers. No interior, misssing back side window, no bumper, no exhaust and dented drivers side door. But with a Z22e engine, it runs and stop.

Black California License plate.

My latest acquisition, the Black Gold.

BlackGold003.jpg

BlackGold008.jpg

BlackGold004.jpg

BlackGold010.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there where less than a dozen 69 510 wagons delivered to Canada in "Thunder Black". My friend Paul has one of them which he re painted in the orginal colour... Pretty nice even though it shows up all of the body flaws.

Pretty sweet.Looks like it used to be an automatic.Why is the plate stamped 63?

I have no idea why there's a 63 stamp on the plate. It goes hand in hand with black paint so thought I keep the plates.

Nice find, if it was a 2 door it would be real gold, I remember seeing this 4 door at a swapmeet in santa rosa in 2001 original black paint and perfect red interior, I was drooling..... oh wait I still am.

I disagree, wagons can be valuable as sedans.

Checkout Clayton's Wagon. I don't think he ever gets a comment that it's a wagon and not a sedan. It's ultra clean.

Very sweet!!! I'm kinda excited to see another '69 wgn. Mine's not near as nice, but as of yesterday, I also have a '69 wgn!! :) ...hhmm....guess I'd better change my siggy. I'll have to check and see if it has the fender logos, but I know I'm getting the marker lights with it :) Mine was originally tan. Now it's tan, black, blue, rust...... ....it just got pulled in yesterday evening.....just talking about it makes me want to go play with it!! :)

Very sweet!!! I'm kinda excited to see another '69 wgn. Mine's not near as nice, but as of yesterday, I also have a '69 wgn!! :) ...hhmm....guess I'd better change my siggy. I'll have to check and see if it has the fender logos, but I know I'm getting the marker lights with it :) Mine was originally tan. Now it's tan, black, blue, rust...... ....it just got pulled in yesterday evening.....just talking about it makes me want to go play with it!! :)

MIKE....pictures please :D

Car runs, just needs exhaust done.

I need major help from you folks that knows EFI, wiring and computer.

This is my first Datsun with all these newer tech on it.

All wires are hanging and 90% of the bundled wires from the host car is not needed, I'm assuming.

Any of you guys have a cheat sheet for wiring, please do share.

Thanks

Abraham

looks to me like you have the essentials all hooked up to keep that baby running good. far as cleaning wires up for the ECU, I would just do it one plug at a time. That way you wont get lost and you know how much room you have to play with. The best way to clean up EFI harnesses is to wrap them or get a nice flexible loom to put over em. peace.

The black plates in CA are considered gold too! Its impossible to get the older plates on a car if they've already been replaced with the newer, reflective white plates. You lucked out.

If the front is missing, or beat up, visit:

http://tagdr.com/

Rod has done two sets of black and yellow plates for me. He does great work and normally charges @$100 a plate to completely restore.

The black plates in CA are considered gold too! Its impossible to get the older plates on a car if they've already been replaced with the newer, reflective white plates. You lucked out.

If the front is missing, or beat up, visit:

http://tagdr.com/

Rod has done two sets of black and yellow plates for me. He does great work and normally charges @$100 a plate to completely restore.

I still have the front plates.

Are plates transferable?

No, you'll see them on eBay but they're really useless unless you're decorating the garage. Plates need to be original, on the car.

I've seen some creative ways to use the older looking plates -

1. Paint the newer plates black and gold. The California is a little tricky to get right. Probably easiest to make a vinyl sticker.

2. But personalize plates that match the set you have, then run the old plates. I.E. - Pay for the personalized "123 ABC" new plate and use the old set that is out of the system.

Make sense?

unless the vehicle was originally issued them the dmv will NOT allow them to be used.

standard plate transfers between vehicles is also not permitted in CA. vanity plates can be.

i went through a big hassle just w/ the original blue gold plates

? re: those recon plates: does anyone know where the 'novelty' type plates can be bought?

does the link above do it?

idea: get vanity plates in the new style and use the 'novelty' plates instead.

my friend tried to do this with his black plates but the dmv doesnt issue vanity plates with 3# / 3letters, likely for this very reason.

but if i got something that is allowed, i would like to get the blue gold 'novelty' plates and try a swap :fu:

No, you'll see them on eBay but they're really useless unless you're decorating the garage. Plates need to be original, on the car.

I've seen some creative ways to use the older looking plates -

1. Paint the newer plates black and gold. The California is a little tricky to get right. Probably easiest to make a vinyl sticker.

2. But personalize plates that match the set you have, then run the old plates. I.E. - Pay for the personalized "123 ABC" new plate and use the old set that is out of the system.

Make sense?

Isn't that illegal?

Tampering with license plates.

unless the vehicle was originally issued them the dmv will NOT allow them to be used.

standard plate transfers between vehicles is also not permitted in CA. vanity plates can be.

i went through a big hassle just w/ the original blue gold plates

? re: those recon plates: does anyone know where the 'novelty' type plates can be bought?

does the link above do it?

idea: get vanity plates in the new style and use the 'novelty' plates instead.

my friend tried to do this with his black plates but the dmv doesnt issue vanity plates with 3# / 3letters, likely for this very reason.

but if i got something that is allowed, i would like to get the blue gold 'novelty' plates and try a swap :fu:

Yea, I'm pretty sure he'll make a plate for you.

I wasn't aware that they weren't issuing 3 and 3 - that blows my idea. I actually saw one with all 7 characters, painted black and gold and it didn't stand out. I had to look twice to see exactly what he did.

BlackGold008.jpg

[/img]

pl521sss, can you post a few pictures of the the air intake in front of the throttle position switch, including the air flow meter and air filter? My project is this EFI on a Z24 motor for my truck. I have 2 sets of 200sx EFI for parts and want it to look somewhat like yours. The 200sx has the air flow meter and filter over on the driver's fender and I would like to not do it that way. Thanks,

mike

Car runs, just needs exhaust done.

I need major help from you folks that knows EFI, wiring and computer.

This is my first Datsun with all these newer tech on it.

All wires are hanging and 90% of the bundled wires from the host car is not needed, I'm assuming.

Any of you guys have a cheat sheet for wiring, please do share.

Thanks

Abraham

Takes some pics of the wires in question, if we work together it will be cake. If you take it slow and one wire at a time it will be simple. I haven't dealt with the s11 wiring but I'm sure it can't be much different from the rest knowing nissan.

pl521sss, can you post a few pictures of the the air intake in front of the throttle position switch, including the air flow meter and air filter? My project is this EFI on a Z24 motor for my truck. I have 2 sets of 200sx EFI for parts and want it to look somewhat like yours. The 200sx has the air flow meter and filter over on the driver's fender and I would like to not do it that way. Thanks,

mike

Will take pix and post it.

MAF is there but not secured yet and no air filter.

Takes some pics of the wires in question, if we work together it will be cake. If you take it slow and one wire at a time it will be simple. I haven't dealt with the s11 wiring but I'm sure it can't be much different from the rest knowing nissan.

Thanks Icehouse

I think there's folks on this list againts this motor but I will move forward on making it reliable nap Z motor.

• 1 year later...