Project: Skunk Works

pl521sss

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm..., I now have my buddy's black wagon too :D! It's also factory black, but, cheap respray to the factory "505 Thunder Black". It also has a Z22e in it like yours also. I'll have to take a couple of pictures and post them up for you to see.

The black plate is stamped "63" because that's the year the permanent plate was issued. You stuck on a annual renewal stacker over the "63" starting in 1964.

Let me try and help/confuse the black plate controversy

Any car with original plates from black on up can keep those plates on that vehicle, they are non transferable unless vanity which came out with the blue plates.

The year the plate was first issued was stamped on the plate through the black plate era. Blue plates are not stamped. The first year of the most recent black plates was 63.

Plates alternated black yellow/yellow black for yrs with each run being 5 or so yrs.

They had stickers as current registration for every year at least post wwII if not before.

If your car is older than 63 you can use any (not the original for the car) license plate from that yr with a special tab holding a current registration sticker.

Hope this helps

Just to try and transfer the plates to my 510.

Any car with original plates from black on up can keep those plates on that vehicle, they are non transferable

even if you have a matched set of black plates and a car that originally had black plates(lost or has the white now???), the dmv says... NO!

even if you have a matched set of black plates and a car that originally had black plates(lost or has the white now???), the dmv says... NO!

It depends who you deal with in DMV

Yes, you can retain the plates specially if you have documents like old registration on the car.

Don't take NO for an answer if you guys try it.

Go to next DMV office if needed to be.

I did a research on this last year.

Just waiting this July 2009 when it's in effect

But who knows what will happen when I try

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=5215

Model Year Date License Plates

5004.1. (a) ( )1 (1) Subject to paragraph (3), an owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle ( )2 are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the ( )3 model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the ( )3 model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate ( )4 corresponds to the ( )3 model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

(B) A fee of ( )5 forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

© In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). When payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of ( )6 license plates with a date corresponding to the ( )3 model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars ($20), ( )7 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the ( )8 plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) Whenever ( )9 a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 497, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008. Operative July 1, 2009.

The 2007 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following: