R.I.P L20b you will be missed

So today was the day i had been waiting for,we were going to go to the big ass car meet in pleasanton.Well on the way there we were at the altamont just barely passing tracy and on the first hill my car dies.....so i pulled the car over while it was rolling stopped it popped the hood and see that there is a shit load of oil everywhere leaking from the filter.I go to see if it was tight and it was as loose as a hor just leavin the zoo.So i guess my damn engine is dead and luckly jose (hope thts your name) called this guy patrick and towed it away and took me back home.now im just going to do a swap so if anyone wants a L20b to rebuild or a 4 speed shoot me an offer.I also got thatr peanut head or whatever its called and the dome SU carbs i got a head gasket and all kinds of shit so hit me up and help me get my 710 on the road again please!~ :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... and see that there is a shit load of oil everywhere leaking from the filter.I go to see if it was tight and it was as loose as a hor just leavin the zoo..

Filters don't just come loose, so who put it on???? The red light on the dash that says oil doesn't mean you have lots, it means to stop. L motors are tough and hard to fuck up so, how are you going to look after a swapped motor?????

Well the same thing could happen to it if you don't keep an eye on things. The filter may be fine but sometimes the rubber gasket from the old one sticks to the block and a new filter gets screwed down on top of it. Two gaskets = fail. As for the low oil pressure light it should light up when you turn the ignition switch to ON. It's a test to show that the bulb isn't burned out. If it isn't working, for example the wire may be off the sender, then you can toast your motor and never know it.

Well the same thing could happen to it if you don't keep an eye on things. The filter may be fine but sometimes the rubber gasket from the old one sticks to the block and a new filter gets screwed down on top of it. Two gaskets = fail. As for the low oil pressure light it should light up when you turn the ignition switch to ON. It's a test to show that the bulb isn't burned out. If it isn't working, for example the wire may be off the sender, then you can toast your motor and never know it.

oh alright well thanks.i just read that those fram filters suck some fat balls and thats the kind that my dad had bought and put on it

"A poor mechanic blames his tools." You really haven't provided enough info, so I'm gonna side with datzenmike until you do, i.e. you can't change your own oil and/or don't notice the idiot light, yet you're gonna do an engine swap? <_<

How long between noticing the problem and stopping the car? Did you drain the oil and replace the filter, and try to start the engine? You may have gotten lucky with no damage or minimal damage. Either way, unless you totally broke it, quicker to fix the L20b than do a swap.

Just sayin'.....

there not trying to be harsh there just pointing things out i personally think it might be salvageable do as stated above just for the hell of it and see if it works if it doesnt your out what 20 bucks if it does you can continue to drive the car till your ready for a swap

I agree. Check the motor first. If it was/is a "learning experience", then grab some tool and learn more about what you've got. Buying another motor to learn about another motor is pointless. Look at all the students with undecided majors in any college across the country, and you will understand my point...

I will say this: I always joke to all of my local Ratsuners that once my L20B pops, I will be looking for an SR or KA to swap. Truth be told, I would *HATE* if the L20B popped. I would be out my car, having to get the wiring done *AGAIN* to receive the swap, and I would only hope that after all of the heartache that I would still love my sedan like I used to.

Yeah, we're not trying to beat you up, just have you do something other than throw money at it. Few of us have cash to burn/waste.

yeah alright guys well thanks for the advice ill try it out and see what happens?

Excellent. Let us know what you find/learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hello710, I too can personally attest to the solid nature of the L-series motors. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I flushed out the cooling system on my old L16 and created a corrosion fracture in the heater pipe next to the motor. I ran all the coolant out and that caused the head gasket to fail. The engine was beautiful inside(even at 315,000 miles) except for head warp (expected).Then I went to an L20, and I beat the crap out of that motor, and it's still going strong. I have run the oil really low, overheated it and misadjusted the carb, but to no fail. Let us know how it went for you!

well guys i ended up takin the engine out cause i bought the KA24de and i want that power.im going to be selling the l20b with the 4 speed tranny.for all i know the l20b could still run if you put oil or that mystery fluid shit haha but yeah if you guys are interested let me know