Interesting Ebay Finds... 175HP L20?

Logical1

While I'm broke as shit and dreaming of parts I have been browsing around craigslist and Ebay alot... I have seen this guy on ebay a bunch and I know I would never pay $1800+ for a L motor. But I am curious if anyone knows this seller or if he might even be on here. He lists a 'Datsun 510 620 2.3L L20B U67 Performance Race Engine' with unknown exact HP but it should be around 175 :unsure: I emailed him about a complete parts list of all Frankenstein parts. He wrote back and I quote "I don't like to type and talk, call me." Here is a link to the listing and the essential info from it for after the auction ends:

Datsun 510 620 2.3L L20B U67 Performance Race Engine

**Please do not ask about HP numbers, these engines have not been dynoed and I can not confirm the numbers. Estimated figures will be 175 and up depending on intake, exhaust, flywheel and other parts!**

UP FOR BID IS A VERY NICE, JUST COMPLETELY REBUILT U67 SOLID LIFTER HEAD. BUILT WITH A 490/290 FULL RACE OR STREET CAMSHAFT KIT, NEW DOUBLE COIL SPRINGS .L20B BLOCK INCLUDES BRAND NEW HUGE ITM KA24 89mm OVER-SIZED PISTONS AND RINGS. Z22 CRANK

***THIS IS A LONG BLOCK, HEAD AND BLOCK WITH TIMING COVER AND NICE PAINTED OEM VALVE COVER, I HAVE ALSO INCLUDED A NICE OIL PAN ****

ENGINE SHOWN IS THE ACTUAL ENGINE YOU WILL GET!!

YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN 91 OCTANE FUEL IN THIS ONE!

**Now includes intake and valve cover re-surfacing, and new better hot tank cleaning**

** 30 day parts warranty **No Labor Included

PROFESSIONALLY REBUILT U67 HEAD FOR AND L20B SERIES DATSUN.

GREAT FLOWING HEAD AND GOOD COMPRESSION. THIS ENGINE HAS NEVER BEEN INSTALLED ON A CAR SINCE IT WAS REBUILT.

REBUILD PROCESS INCLUDES...

1. Complete disassemble, Inspection and Pressure test

2. Re-Surface all 3 sides, Intake Gasket Side, Head Gasket Side and Valve Cover Gasket Side

3. 3 Angle Valve Job

4. Reconditioned Rocker Arms

5. Cleaned, and Installed Performance Springs, Retainers and Lash Pads

6. Full Set of new Valve Seals

7. 490/290 polished Performance Camshaft.

8. All threads cleaned and repaired as needed

9. Full Reassembly and Valve adjustment

10. 30 parts day warranty

All his feedback is positive, It just seemed like a bit of snow job to me at 175+ non-turbo... Curious as to what the experts think! (Mike) :cool:

I also Ran across this crazy head I hadn't seen anyone talk about before that sold for $400.00 in used funky shape...

My link

BTW Everyone said it already, but the new search engine SUCKS! especially the 'advanced search' not much of an advancement from the basic... So my bad if this seller has been covered, but try doing a search for Datsun-parts LLC and see how many results you get :P

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is on here. He had a blue 620 that he just finished. He might not like people talking bad about his stuff. Honestly.... If your going to pay that much... Get a KA....

From what I remember he had a L series engine on his 620 but is going to swap a KA instead. Why swap out the built 175 hp L series engine for a 155hp KA? I find that very weird...

Salesmen are slick when talking to them in person or on the phone. Any lawyer will tell you never to put anything in writing.

All L4 heads are solid lifter so saying so is redundant.

"HUGE ITM KA24 89mm OVER-SIZED PISTONS AND RINGS" KA pistons are 89mm and so can't be called over-sized.

This is a 4mm overbore on an L20B block, do-able but would be safer on a Z22. If the head wasn't shaved this would only have a compression of 8.99 which isn't that bad. A 290 cam is a bit much for a DD so I think this would be better for summer driven garage queen car and not a truck, but just my opinion.

I think Byron has a LZ22 with a healthy cam and multi-carb that made 138 RWHP so draw your own conclusions.... If this is 175 engine hp I guess it's possible.

Tell you what, put that engine in and I'll race you in my 180hp Z-car. You should win with a lighter weight vehicle. :D

ill do it!

@ canby this year??? :D

when the LZ22 is in, i think itll be >150.

ill have to get it on the dyno at some point.

ive probably spent that much so far :blink: ... w/o counting the EFI that may or may not go in.

ive heard good things about his builds.

175hp is definitely possibly as he mentioned with the right intake, exhaust, flywheel, etc. Engine horsepower differs from whp/bhp in that it doesn't factor in the drivetrain loss and is the figure most commonly used these days when people quote horsepower numbers on stock oem vehicles. Most power can be had by reworking the head with lighter/stronger components as well as a good port job, but there are also many other factors that contribute the horsepower number and your power at a given rpm range. It really depends on whether you can build your own custom parts and how much math you want to get involved in. ;)

Well sounds like its pointing towards possible to pull 175Hp out of a L. WOW! :thumbup: Now I have dream to work towards (not that I'll ever get up to that)His motors and work looks beautiful, I just felt that something was up when it wasn't put in writing like mike said ;) I picked up my L20 for $150 B) so I'll see how close I can get to that number for hopefully less then $1800! (even if it takes years) Planning on doing all the work myself besides the boring... I know the common opinion is to just put a newer motor in but I just love the simplicity of the L's. Holding your own against ricers with a 40Y.O. Motor feels good too!

arrrrrhhhh, as I bite my tounge, I'll have more to say on this subject later. To see more on my situation go to http://www.datsunminitruckin.com/ under 620 thread "ole blue"

Holy Shit! That is a Gorgeous build! If I ever had any doubts, they are gone! Obviously Some other folks would like to know about your Engine's and I hope this thread makes clear how kick-ass they must be :)

Holy Shit! That is a Gorgeous build! If I ever had any doubts, they are gone! Obviously Some other folks would like to know about your Engine's and I hope this thread makes clear how kick-ass they must be smile.gif

Logical, THESE ARE NOT MY ENGINES! Wanted to make that clear. I had bought one, did you even read my build thread? And it doesn't look good at the moment. I have been very calm about the situation, for now.

Picture302.jpg

If you look at the #3 exhaust pivot and lock nut, they appear to be much closer together. So did the lock nut loosen and the clearance increase until the rocker jumped up on the pivot and jammed the valve open to be hit by the next piston TDC. It would have jumped off the next time the cam lobe came around. I would expect the piston has a nice crescent shaped mark on it too.

• Like 1

Mike we really didn't mess with it after we took the valve cover off and found this. I moved the rocker around and theres so much pla under the cam the valve has to be bent, and the spring is compressed down. I did'nt even think about the piston, hell I'm just pissed and frustrated right now. I'm in contact with Al, so we'll see. There's alot of money in that pic.

Logical, THESE ARE NOT MY ENGINES! Wanted to make that clear. I had bought one, did you even read my build thread? And it doesn't look good at the moment. I have been very calm about the situation, for now.

Oops! Was early (for me) and just glanced at the photos, still a beautiful build, Sorry to hear about your troubles :(