Minissan!

Not sure if this has been posted, but man it is pretty RAD!! Mmmm, VG30 with a Holley, 240sx rear clip... yummy! If I were willing to take the saw to the '59, this is probably where I'd head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMb8F1_vUWA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83XreGMOLnw&feature=channel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big body kits on mini's make me sick. Though I do like the build. When mah Z is finished getting its german motivation, hopefully I can start on the mini, which (if all goes according to plan), should be AWD. I'd like to use the GTiR drive-train but realistically I'd like to also have a tranny with a little taller gear in it so even with it's cute itty bitty wheels it would still be able to not go through the gears in ten feet.

High 14's, on a car that light, makes it *REALLY* hard to believe he's pulling 375 hp. Seems to me he should be in the mid 12's with 375 in a sub-2000 lb car. FWIW a stock VG30 is around 180hp.

I dont believe those numbers one bit. Unless I see a dyno sheet its :poop: :rolleyes:

High 14's, on a car that light, makes it *REALLY* hard to believe he's pulling 375 hp. Seems to me he should be in the mid 12's with 375 in a sub-2000 lb car. FWIW a stock VG30 is around 180hp.

He's (according to him) running a Holly 390 carb. That was just a non naws run, carbed VG. 14s sound about right. It may have a 150 hit of naws and he just added that to the stock hp to get his number. On that 1/4 run it sure didn't sound like he was revving very high though the gears, never got into 5th.

Listen to this VG rev:

Ya I'd believe it more out of a vg30de like in the vid but the vg30e in the mini is much more limited.

It's actually a highly respected achievement to get n/a 220 actual hp through the wheels on a z32. Thats not even 300hp at the flywheel. So taking that into account, adding a less efficient fuel system and 2 valve heads?

If it's true I'd agree with you mike it's with a shot.

I know it's apples and oranges because of all the variables but in a TTz32 with the right driver and tires you can break into the 13's. Thats with 300hp/tq in a car weighing like 3600(curb) so like 3300 actual lbs?

In a s30 thats barely over 2k lbs you can rock low 13's all day and maybe break into 12's with that hp.

Something to think about lol.

Ya Idk, with high comp, port work, headers, running REALLY well a vge can make 225 crank. Maybe that and a 150 shot is what they mean? Thats a healthy shot but if the motors built, studded and the like I guess it's reasonable.

Please, don't get me wrong, the car is really cool and the fact that he used Nissan stuff is really, really cool!

But, I feel it should be making a bit less power than 375, even with a Nitrous shot. Did he port the heads, bigger valves, wild cams, bore it out? I would really like to know the combo so I can build one for my car!! Is the number he gave include the engine under a nitrous load? If so, what is the true H.P. sans any power adders? And as I suspected, the smaller Holley two barrel is closer to what that engine really needs and not the Holley 500!

Recommended CFM for that engine is only 374CFM! With a little massaging, the Holley 350 can be made to match those numbers.

The magazine shows 14.859, no mph listed. I definitely remember being disappointed.

14.8? thats disappointing for all that work, my 240zt could run that on the stock 7psi

Hughs 280zx with full interior stock exhaust, stock turbo, FMIC, and wolf ecu ran a 14.1

and Grams street 240z with L28/triples is running 13's

this thing is awsome and once again makes me lean tward a vg for the 610 in the future now what i dont understand is this he went threw the trouble to make it carbed why not stack a small blower on top? a little 671 maybe and a small (maybe 500cfm) carb on top of it wouldnt have added much weight would have been much faster and still fun to drive in the corners as well as in the straights couldnt keep the stock hood but after all that i personally wouldnt mind having a "hicky" in the hood

this thing is awsome and once again makes me lean tward a vg for the 610 in the future now what i dont understand is this he went threw the trouble to make it carbed why not stack a small blower on top? a little 671 maybe and a small (maybe 500cfm) carb on top of it wouldnt have added much weight would have been much faster and still fun to drive in the corners as well as in the straights couldnt keep the stock hood but after all that i personally wouldnt mind having a "hicky" in the hood

Well, a 6-71 is not exactly small, maybe you meant a 4-71 or why not just run the supercharged Xterra engine instead?

There are some mini blowers out there that can be made to work but the biggest issue is hood space, you would have to scoop it. Unless you get a Vortec style supercharger that you can side mount.

As for why a carb, simple, it is simple! And it does have a better power curve than the fuel injection that came on the VG's.

High 14s is lame. It all ads up to much better than that so why so low? Can anyone read the tach? I see the shift light on the first two shifts. My Dart was absolutely stock 300 engine hp in a 3,100 lb car no posi and 3.23 gears and it would go under 14.20 in the quarter.

Unless you get a Vortec style supercharger that you can side mount.

Vortec uses a centrifugal style supercharger, just fyi.

I agree though if supercharger was going to happen why not just run a vg33er. You could carb that just as easily imho. There is def room for a centrifugal as well, if hood clearance or w/e was an issue.

Why not a vg30et?

I think simple was what they went for on he motor because even if you say ok sc it or w/e you could just drop in a vg30dett, takes up just about the same space and can be had with a tranny ecu ic kit etc...for 1500 bucks(local to me at least) 300hp/tq just like that. Even if they wanted n/a they could have done a vg30de and had 220hp/tq out of the box which would have that thing in the high13's.

Dare even bring up a n/a vq35?

Way more complicated either way though.

There is something to be said for a carbed vge though. I Have always thought they had a sense of class and style to them. Like the datsun motor that should have but never was.

In this case though with him using a modern s13 rear and what not I think there were/are way better suited engines for that particular car.

Way cool in either event. Just slow lol......

Here we go Bonvo! Fresh off the boat from Japan and already carbed! (Course shipping brings it up closer to 1K.)

Did they ever sell the carbed ones in the US? (Though the stuff to carb it at VG30.com would do the job too!)

Ebay VG30 Carbed

3f0b_1_bl.JPG

The earliest were VG30i (throttle body)

Wouldn't that be nice in my 710. Have the 4 speed auto, just need the VG bell. The VG weighs almost the same as the KA. so about 150 more than the L18?

And it is already in Canada Mike! (Though it is on the wrong side from you I think!)

I get all this talk about this Minissan not being fast enough for the purpose he built it (To inspire kids to not smoke, by taking it to the strip. etc.)

But from my perspective, it would be plenty fast enough to bomb around in!

I just love the thought of a V6 over a 4-banger. The sound, the rumble, it is just the whole vibe, you know? And to me, carbed is just sexier, more nostalgic. Kinda like a flat head or nail head over a SBC in a hotrod. How much more torque does the VG have over the KA? (I should prolly just go look it up!)