Home built Hotness!

Pumpkn210

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long runners are good for low-RPM power, so yes this is a good one. Those runners are about the same length as the stock manifold. For high-RPM power the sidedraft manifolds have shorter runners (usually).

16422.jpg

NOTE: The mitsubushi manifold is not a bolt-on. Some of the bolts line up, but some are off a little bit, and the ports are not lined-up exactly. A bit of grinding and drill two new bolt holes should solve that. A little aluminum brazing to move the port flange over about 1/4".

Yes, that's a common idea. But larger ports and shorter runners actually move the powerband up. Longer runners and smaller ports move it down, increasing torque.

The pinnacle may be the 1963 416 Wedge. Not as much power as later mopars but a lot of torque.

275px-413crossram.jpg

I had to start one of these once that had been sitting for years. Seemed like it took a long time to get the fuel from the carbs into the cylinder...but once started it was really cool to see it rocking back and forth ever so slightly.

• 6 months later...

Well better late than never...

The intake you see here is what we ended up going with. Wanted a more direct route and the square box has too much potential to pool fuel. I went to the metal shop and got some soft tubing for $10, and had the exhaust shop bend it for me. Once they found out what it was for, the price for bending it was Free! Took a little bit of doing, but we made it work.

My only problem I think is with the carbs, Weber 34ict a.k.a."Bug Sprayers" The problems are that they spray fuel out the tops(hence the name) And when entering a right hand corner, they dont fuel properly. Im thinkin that the cornering problem can be fixed by screwing with the float level :unsure:

I wonder what other carbs mount the same as those :hmm:

Any-hoo heres the pics!

100_3588.jpg

100_3591.jpg

100_3589.jpg

100_3590.jpg

I think you need some exhaust work to match. cool.gifcool.gif

Cleaned of and hogged out the mani, just gota get the moneys together to get it done. I definately need exhaust work, gota couple feet of stock pipe and all the rest is cracked and leaking :P

• 3 months later...

So its in the 40s here(Fahrenheit) and the carbs are starting to ice up! They stick a little (for now) and it hasnt been a problem.... yet.

It has moved more to need rather than should move the carbs down. I plan on taking about 5in out of the tubes. This should help the throttle act like a throttle, and not an on off switch. And prevent the carbs from icing up. I have a couple extra hoods, and will be able to cut a much smaller hole in the new hood due to the lower carbs. This I will like cause My Windshield Is A Mess!

Here are the oics of the frosted carbs. They will get this icy after 5 min driving with an ambient temp of 43 deg F!

101_0123.jpg

101_0122.jpg

101_0121.jpg