early 30's datsun

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is looking for a 50's or earlier Datsun in the USA....

like ggzilla said, Datsuns weren't officially imported into US until 1958. Unless a Datsun/auto museum is selling one of its pieces you woulnt find a pre-58 in the sates. Even finding a 58/59 is tough.

Right-O. The 1932 was the first Datsun. There was a 1931 Dotson prototype, it's not clear if they sold any.

The one with the "Lincoln grayhound" on the hood. Apparently they fitted an actual (or just similar?) Ford part.

17c.jpg

18a.jpg

DAT Car Company, purchased (taken over) by Nissan the same year 1931. So the first Datsuns were made by Nissan after DAT created this brochure.

Datsun History

Here ya go ! a 1933 datto model 1 I believe , You can really see where the Z gets it's lines , no dual webers and only a single exhaust pipe ! Leaks coolant whenever it feels like ! Oil changes = yes ! :lol: sorry ( joking ! ) ;)

Donkey+off+web.jpg

:rofl:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Here ya go ! a 1933 datto model 1 I believe , You can really see where the Z gets it's lines , no dual webers and only a single exhaust pipe ! Leaks coolant whenever it feels like ! Oil changes = yes ! :lol: sorry ( joking ! ) ;)

Donkey+off+web.jpg

Classic :lol: :thumbup: :rofl:

Take Petersen publications with a grain of salt. Their figures and some of the statements don't agree with the more scholarly books of Cusumano or even John B. Rae. Petersen is a compilation of articles that appeared in Hot Rod, their minitruck magazines, and other Petersen rags.

That said I enjoy my copy of Petersen's Complete Book of Datsun, it has many rare photos.

14119.jpg

A 30's Datsun is the one thing I would give up the '59 for. Man they are impossible to find. I'd even take a rusty one (within reason), and would probably even prefer it over a straight example because then I could make a true Datsun nostalgia rod and not feel too bad about cutting it up. Mmm a type 16 or type 17 would be ideal!

1936 Type 16 care of EarlyDatsun.com:

16.jpg

Nissan did produce the Austin a40 for a bit, so rodding one of those with a japanese mill isn't too crazy of an idea.

One thing I thought of doing was finding a Graham Paige Special 6. Nissan made those in Japan under agreement and called it the Nissan 70. So like the austin theory above, you could make a quasi japanese hotrod out of one. With some historical merit. (That y44 engine greybeard has for sale would be PERFECT!!)

From early Datsun: "The Nissan 70 was also known as the Nissan Six. It was an American Graham-Paige built under licence. It had a 3600cc 85hp 6cyl. engine. Nissan bought the press dies and tooling to build the Graham Paige Special Six (which had just been replaced in the USA with the Graham Paige Crusader) from Graham Paige in 1937. The Nissan 70 also used engines that were copies of the Graham Paige engine."

015_70_sedan.jpg

If I ever find another '59, and it is in pretty bad shape, look out! I will go hog wild with it!

Oh yes it is a Flathead.

Look at the pictures...

The engine compartment ID plate which says it is a 1958 Datsun 115. And the engine is 890cc so NOT the C1 Datsun 1000 engine.

1958-1.jpg

The title says

Datsun Bluebird? 1958? Type 115 engine
Sounds like the seller is not sure either.

Oh yes it is a Flathead.

Look at the pictures...

The engine compartment ID plate which says it is a 1958 Datsun 115. And the engine is 890cc so NOT the C1 Datsun 1000 engine.

1958-1.jpg

The title saysSounds like the seller is not sure either.

Now if only Nissan made a a V8 flathead. I would have to try really hard to track that down!!!

Okay, who will be the first to make a hotrod out of one? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Volvo Jakob. The Jakob was Volvo's first production car and thus it was too rare to cut up an original, so in 2007 some crazy guys got together and built a hot rod version from scratch based on the original.

Check it out:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2008/top-2008-Volvo-Hot-Rod-Jakob.htm

So, who wants to tackle a fenderless, open top Model 16 Phaeton with some insane Nissan engine and big fat tires on the back?