early 30's datsun

Okay, who will be the first to make a hotrod out of one? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Volvo Jakob. The Jakob was Volvo's first production car and thus it was too rare to cut up an original, so in 2007 some crazy guys got together and built a hot rod version from scratch based on the original.

Check it out:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2008/top-2008-Volvo-Hot-Rod-Jakob.htm

So, who wants to tackle a fenderless, open top Model 16 Phaeton with some insane Nissan engine and big fat tires on the back?

MEEEEE!!! That is my dream really. Has been for a long time. I don't have the skills or the money, only the vision! There actually is a guy building one from scratch. A type 16 I think. Forming the sheetmetal and everything. Though I think he may have scaled it up. He is a member. If I find the link I will post it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MEEEEE!!! That is my dream really. Has been for a long time. I don't have the skills or the money, only the vision! There actually is a guy building one from scratch. A type 16 I think. Forming the sheetmetal and everything. Though I think he may have scaled it up. He is a member. If I find the link I will post it.

My bad it is a 32 Type 11 that he is building as a locost Racer and here is the link!

32 scratch build

Right-O. The 1932 was the first Datsun. There was a 1931 Dotson prototype, it's not clear if they sold any.

The one with the "Lincoln grayhound" on the hood. Apparently they fitted an actual (or just similar?) Ford part.

17c.jpg

18a.jpg

DAT Car Company, purchased (taken over) by Nissan the same year 1931. So the first Datsuns were made by Nissan after DAT created this brochure.

Datsun History

There is a 1937 I think Konut Datsun, one of two in the Nissan USA Nashville Museum.

dat made a crap load of trucks for the communist government. Maybe you could import a rusty pile from japan, pass it as a shipment of dirt.

HUH? Japan was an empire (still is sort of). Was never communist.

Nissan built a "crap load" of trucks for US forces in the Korean war to fight communism.

It came from my research library, not from the 'net. The DOTSON pictures came from this great book "50 years of Datsun" which is all in Japanese.

Go to the source.

Wow, wow wow! How do you find this stuff? I search Yahoo Japan for 'datsun' from time to time, but you find all the crazy stuff!

I think it is pretty hard to find those early Datsuns in Japan as well, it is not just because they didn't make many.........

Win for Zendog! +1 :lol:

GG, I meant how did you dig that auction up? It is all written in Japanese so would a search for 'Datsun' on yahoo japan do it?

how did you dig that auction up? It is all written in Japanese so would a search for 'Datsun' on yahoo japan do it?
Yes, you can do it and find some Datsun auction. But most of them have Datsun spelled out in Japanese.

http://auction.yahoo.co.jp first box is the search box

search for datsun in Japanese

Write-up on how to use and buy stuff: Yahoo Auctions article

• Like 1

Yes, you can do it and find some Datsun auction. But most of them have Datsun spelled out in Japanese.

http://auction.yahoo.co.jp first box is the search box

search for datsun in Japanese

Write-up on how to use and buy stuff: Yahoo Auctions article

+1 for you my friend! That search is fantastic! Not only was there a couple of 59ish cars on there, but there are even parts! There was a choke pull, starter buttons and even a rare lighter option, same light blue bakelite as the '59.

I spent like 3 hours going page by page and only got to page 87. Lot more to slog through!

How about an early '50s Datsun?

1954 Datsun Deluxe Sedan

crsm0000000000.JPG

Interesting to see what carried over all the way to the '59 l210. The hubcaps and wheels and the hood ornament looks similar but not exact.

I think this car is rad as hell, but dig the early stuff even more!

I've been noticing the interesting capsule shaped mirrors on the A-pilars of many of these cars back to the 30's. Very cool! However they don't look like mirrors on this one. What else could they be?k119203824citys800-img600x399-12617.jpg

Interesting to see what carried over all the way to the '59 l210. The hubcaps and wheels and the hood ornament looks similar but not exact.

I think this car is rad as hell, but dig the early stuff even more!

I've been noticing the interesting capsule shaped mirrors on the A-pilars of many of these cars back to the 30's. Very cool! However they don't look like mirrors on this one. What else could they be?k119203824citys800-img600x399-12617.jpg

Semaphore turn signals. They pop out like hand signals [and goose traffic cops].