1964 320

All right, the chances of me getting it are slim to nil. (need to get the 521 done first) But it is in my neck of the woods for once!

If a person could even find a windshield what would it cost?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-DATSUN-1200-PICKUP-1964-DATSUN-1200-PICKUP_W0QQitemZ150177846895QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150177846895

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deff. needs a restoration but maybe it wont sell for that much or at all. E mail the seller & ask what his bottom line price is? Windshields are available for them from a company in Iowa i believe. The ODPL site had that info. & i think Mklotz has it too. Buy it !

Ahhh is that the transmission case I see in that cab? I guess a 5 speed wasn't a good fit and they had to cut the floor tunnel. Shame.

The center section of the floor is removable on 320s. Looks a little long to be a 510 transmission, irregardless of year though.

Good to know about the windshield. I will have to check with Mklotz and figure out what they run. And I've got a couple e-mails into the seller bout how it last ran, etc.

And I had no idea the tunnel unbolted on a 320. That is too cool!

You know, I have to have all my facts before I present my case to the wife! It would be a longshot with my other project taking up half of the garage. "But honey it is sooo rare to find one." Didn't work for the 610 w/ 300 mi south of me. But this is even more rare! I can hear it, "But husband you already have a truck you need to fix. And if anything we should get me a Karmann Ghia!" "But... but... it is a 320..."

glass for it is 300-400 dollars new rubber is another 100

mmmmfun.

I just sold a better truck for 150 bucks with 3 doors and a whole front end in the bed. (to Tana)

01010501020101160220071030f040f5b56dbbb1da8100fe1b.jpg

Wow great deal! You'd think a door alone would be that much. Minus the extra parts, was it in about as poor condition as this ebay truck?

Supply and demand does come into play in this region. Hell this could be the only one left in New England! If it were an NL i'd be really, really tempted.

seeing ones in that condition for that much remind me of how lucky i was to get my NL for $50

YOWZA!! You sir win the prize for best deal I have heard of.

I also saw a stepside conversion once. An orange 320 with flames I think? Looked hot. But not as hot as an NL320!

the guy i bought it from probably knew how hard it was gonna be to find a new tailight bezel for it so got rid of it. it looked funny when i bought it, it had had like a fullsize sleeper camper on it. looked rediculous.

that flamed stepside was the same one i was thinkin of.

Rusty's right on the window.

I'd watch it and see if it even generates any interest. If it goes unbid, you can contact him with a lower offer and see if he takes it. The price is not good for this part of the country, but over there....they're worth what ever they can get :)

Most ladies think the 320's are really cute, so maybe she'll want that one.

Looks like the back window is missing too. Don't know about the doors.

Is the door glass flat in the 320? Might be able to replace the back glass with tinted plexi if nothing else.

Weird, but I seem to have glass, used of course for 320's and doors and handles and bezels and lens and ok, you get it. Wish I had all NOS parts, but not yet! Got some good NOS parts, lots of good used stuff...silly me! Tana, the Datsun Lady

Weird, but I seem to have glass, used of course for 320's and doors and handles and bezels and lens and ok, you get it. Wish I had all NOS parts, but not yet! Got some good NOS parts, lots of good used stuff...silly me! Tana, the Datsun Lady

Would you ship Tana? It is still a slim chance I would get this truck, but I am trying to get a feel for 'what if?'

I have a lot of questions though. Like if a 5 speed was put in, how did it fit, and assuming it has the original rear end, how easy would it have been to fit a drive shaft.

Sounds like I need to contact the seller and ask some questions.

Back glass is the same as the L320. It and the side windows can be easily cut at a good glass shop if you can't get them shipped.

The rearend should be an H190 housing, just like the 520, 521, 620's, but the axle splines are a lot different. You can simply change the spider gears to put the stock axles back in. So, you could get a 4.39 out of a later model and replace the 4.88. There are guys that want that 4.88 for racing roadsters....but we can talk about that if you get it. Driveshaft is a single piece, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement made.

Don't know of any 5spd option yet. I have the plates from the E1 and an L series. I laid them together and it looks like a fairly easy process to make an adapter, but I haven't had time to check it out fully. Anyone know what the exact angle of lean is on the L series??

Great info Mklotz! I called the owner and got a few answers. He is a hotrodder and picked it up for that purpose, but hasn't touched it.

-The owner before him put in a later model 510 motor and 5speed tranny. Not sure what or which. The new owner says everything fits in there like it belongs. The tunnel (beyond the cover) had to be notched out for the shifter. But the cover fits over it fine. He is going to send me a pic of the engine bay.

-Speedo cable will have to be figured out.

-The driveshaft isn't in, and he has two shafts in the bed of the truck. I wonder if one was for the 510 and the other for the 320.

-He has the bumper.

-Radiator is in.

-Exhaust mani is on there and the pipe is under the truck, but the two are not mated. Intake is there and a stock carb.

-Sounds like most of the componates are in there like alternator, m/c's etc. But what is a 320 and what is from the 510 he doesn't know.

-Has a bondo repair job on the passenger side where the badges go. But that's the only bondo he knows of on the truck and everything else is solid.

-Wheels turn free.

Unfortunately he isn't an expert on datsuns or this truck since he bought it as a shell for a rod, and as a shell it rocks.

Is there anything major y'all can think of that I should ask? I imagine nothing is wired up.

It is the age old question we face when looking at these gems. Could I get a 320 down the road that is already pretty much done for the cost of getting this one on the road, with its mystery motor and unknown compatibility issues. Weighing the fact that this is the first 320 I have seen in New England ever. And its location alone is a $1500 savings on shipping from the west coast.

I doubt the bumper is any good if it's the original...considering how the front corner is messed up already.

The 320 was a positive ground rig, so you've got some work ahead just in the neg ground conversion. I'd like to see some good pics of the motor mounts!! The frame is 3" narrower and used the E1(just like a J13) so the motor mounts had to get some modification.

The rig needs a ton of work. Over here, it's a $200 parts rig...maybe! But....if you're willing to crate and ship, you could get your money back out of it selling off the good panels......if you buy it and change your mind later. I still wouldn't want to give more than $300...even in your situation. I would be worth that in spare parts if you found a better one. Your part of the country makes it a much different ball game!! If you have more time than money, it will work. If you don't have time, wait 'til you have the money to get one that doesn't need so much work.

If you have more time than money, it will work. If you don't have time, wait 'til you have the money to get one that doesn't need so much work.

Wize words indeed. Tough call. $100-$300 would be really tempting. I just never see these things around here. And what I always hear is body, body, body first, then running gear. But I also know how long it takes for me to just do the little things my 521 needs.

If it had its original running gear in there I'd prolly have already made him an offer. I asked to see if he still has it. He did say the old engine was toast, but I can't remember if he actually picked it up when he bought the truck.

According to the owner, the bumper he has is mint. But looking at that front end...? Maybe it got messed up towing? You can still see the tow chain coming from the front.

That truck would need an enormous amount of parts and work to get it either just running & decent or original and running. could cost a fortune for all the parts to make it original and nice. I do ship, but to the East coast isn't cheap. I can see you putting a good $1500 min into this, with many many hours of work. And you would have to know what is original to put in.

Save your money to get a decent one with correct running gear and not so many problems...they do show up and often are running or at least in MUCH better condition than that sorry one. Fix up that 521...they are cool already. Well, I think mine is anyway! Tana

You'd actually be better off with the L series drive train....much easier to get parts. Most of the drivetrain stuff is workable or replaceable. The body panels are another story. If you could pick it up and not have a problem letting it sit for several years, then it would make a good future project. But, if you're having trouble getting the 521 done as it is, put the money for the 320 into the 521 or you could risk not being able to do either. If the 320 is meant to be for you, it will come around again, or something will change in this deal to make it a "must have". I never thought I'd have an NL.....but stuff happens. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity....some people say I was lucky, but I drove 50 miles to look at an engine and found mine in that neighborhood. I spent an hour talking to the guy's wife. Talked to him on the phone, emailed him....then waited a year before he finally called me with an offer. I was prepared when the opportunity showed up......anyway.....sorry for the ramble :)

.....oh....and let's not forget the "awesome wife that let me get it" part of the equation!! :)

Once upon a time I bought a 65 320... The body was in preemo shape, original everything, and it ran/drove! It was $300 bucks. I dont think I would pay more than $100-200 bucks for it... If you really want it, call the dude after no one bids on it, and offer him $200 for it.

Well he has a first bidder at $500. So I am thinking I will let this old girl go.

But to follow through with this thread, here are the photos he took of the engine, etc.

The valve cover says 'Nissan ohc' so it probably is a later model. He couldn't get to the engine # on the block cause it is blocked by a bunch of vacuum hoses? Anyone have an idea what motor this is? Everything seems to be where my L16 stuff is. Fuel pump is a little different though. Any other interesting notions based on these photos?

DCFC0011.jpg

DCFC0012.jpg

DCFC0014.jpg

DCFC0015.jpg

DCFC0016.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.