L-series electronic distributors

Good idea you had on buying stuff while @ the yards. Theres always gonna be a Ratsun member who needs something + Datsun parts are getting harder to find these days. Ill be going to Ecology next Sat. for half off day, need a few 620 parts. also the 80 720's & 610's had the EI distributors among a few other models which im sure im forgetting. Ill be on the lookout for a few more for me & anybody else who needs one.

The 1st gen '79 (probably the '78 too) 200sx L20B also had the EI. Also the Canadian 2nd gen ('80-'81) 200sx with the Z20E motor had the EI distributor. Before I forget... the '76 and '77 California 620 had the remote igniter box distributors too.

If switching to EI use the EI coil (without the external ballast resistor). The ballast resistor is just one more thing to go wrong and should be gotten rid of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jovial, I shot you a PM about the distributor you sent. The package was damaged and the poor thing arrived broken! Bummer. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.:(

I sent you some pics.

Scott

Fisch sux to hear bout your dist...:( I did score another EI dist. for my 521 @ the yard last Sat. If yours is beyond repair let us know...ill be going back to the yard here soon.

Thanks Pac! I might have to take you up on that. What do you guys think. Would this still work? You can see where the box split too! All the way down the corner. I am not sure if it was insured or not, (Jovial?) but the delivery person made a note of the damage before it was handed to me.

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

Pretty sure you can live without it.I have before.If not,it is held on with a roll pin and can be replaced with one from another dist.I probably have one if you really need it.

I am waiting to hear from Jovial, but if you have one handy, heck yeah I'll take it!

Does a stock l16 dual point have one of these plastic sleeves? I am taking one off to put this on after all!

Scott

I had this happen to my EL dizzy I just got off the forum. I used the metal one from my stock dual point dizzy. It fit perfect.

Good to hear DeRux and welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some spare black T-terminal (two connector) "Matchbox" units for sale. Make me an offer.

The black boxes work excellent. They use stock or slightly wider plug gap, and can be used with a straight 12V (high energy) coil. They are from 1979-up models. Only two wires needed, and you can simply jumper your existing harness.

:( One summer I bought a half-dozen distributors from various wrecking yards. They all have bad advance assemblies -- the rotating plate under the rotor assembly. They have three ball bearings in a plastic ring, and the plastic is broken. None of the advances work. Which means poor fuel economy and less smooth driveability.

I was recently looking at Jason Gray's great dizzy page -

http://web.archive.org/web/20050312092651/home.att.net/~jason510/Dizzy_FAQ.htm

and noticed in the Advance Mechanism Problems section, he mentions a fix for the broken plastic advance plate.

Also, in the Recurving section and the "dizzy specs" page, he explains that dizzys from different models have different advance curves, which may or may not work well on another engine.

Dat620 77 - If I understand your question, you aren't familiar with U-Pull or Pull n Save (various other names) wrecking lots. They are a packrats dream come true. You go to the lot, pay a buck or two admission, take your own tools and remove your own parts. Since you are doing the work, the parts prices are really reasonable.

Since you are in Pendleton, you might be able to find these type yards in Pasco or Walla Walla or Yakima. There are three in Spokane that I know about, but that is quite a drive for you. The one big yard there gets in a number of 620 and 720 trucks, but they get stripped and crushed pretty quickly. The two smaller yards tend to keep rigs in stock much longer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.