L-series electronic distributors

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent been, just called today. whats left? anything good?

:: shrug ::

I dunno. I'm not a truck guy. I've got a 720 that I've skinned for my welding projects, and I've sold the engine out of it, but apart from that, I'm not particularly fond of trucks, so I didn't even bother to see what else was on the 620s.

I like the way the 521s look, but that's only because they look like truck-versions of 510s to me. :)

I like the blog site btw.

Thanks.

What are you looking to get for the single points? I have no idea what these things go for. Have a range in mind? Is it easy to pop these on an L16?

I'm thinking $60 shipped; that seems to be near the going rate that I've seen elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, why the single-point over the four-point? You're the second person that's mentioned a preference in the single-point...

i thought the match box had 2 prongs? one to each side of the coil?

Those aren't "prongs." That's the T-terminal, and yes -- the leads go from the T-terminal to either side of the coil.

As banzai510 said, the single-prong (or single magnetic pickup trigger) electric distributor uses a remote igniter/black-box, so it requires a little more wiring. The four-prong (or four-lobed magnetic pickup trigger) electric distributor has the matchbox igniter. It's later in years, has an improved trigger mechanism, and the igniter is bolted directly to the distributor body.

And since the 4-prong distributor is newer and the DQ says it's better and more accurate, I can't understand why people would want the single-prong one.

I'm thinking $60 shipped; that seems to be near the going rate that I've seen elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, why the single-point over the four-point? You're the second person that's mentioned a preference in the single-point...

I don't know Jack really. Just watched HAinz's video and he is all about the single points over dual. So that is stuck in my head. Though I am realizing y'all are talking about matchboxes now which is different than either single or dual points. And that stuff is greek to me at this point. (Can you say noob!)

Basically I am just anticipating problems with my dualpoints once I get this truck back on the road, and am looking out for a simple replacement to have at the ready. Pertronix may be the way for me to go though. Two wires and lots of video of Hainz putting them in. But I might have one of those distributors which would have to be milled to fit a Pert, so it'd be great if I found one allready installed in a distributor!

So, class, to sum up today's lesson... points are points (single and double), and prongs are prongs (single w/ remote matchbox and four).

The Pertronix unit replaces the points in a points dizzy to make it a semi-electronic ignition dizzy. Not necessary if you get the later model EI dizzy.

Some folks love their Pertronix and others curse 'em. You pays yer money and takes yer choices. IMHO, the cost is close enough that I'd just go w/ the later model stock EI unit.

Ah - ok. Apples and oranges, friend.

For the Pertronix setup, you need a stock single-point distributor. However, if you can get your hands on a four-prong electronic distributor, it's just as easy of a setup. You unbolt your stock distributor and stick it on a shelf, and then you bolt in the four-prong electronic distributor and plug in two wires, and you're done.

edit: beaten by ppeters914 to the explanation.

You unbolt your stock distributor and stick it on a shelf...

...or sell/trade it instead of it taking space and collecting dust. If you keep it, you might want to tag & bag it to eliminate some head scratching years from now. :D

If you do choose to get the single prong dizzy you can run any number of ignitors (what the matchbox is). I know that subaru ones work and are fairly easy to find.

I'd run the stock matchbox before any other setup though.

2eDeYe;25123']If you do choose to get the single prong dizzy you can run any number of ignitors (what the matchbox is). I know that subaru ones work and are fairly easy to find.

I'd run the stock matchbox before any other setup though.

Right. I'd prefer the matchbox as well, unless I happened to have a spare ignitor sitting around or something.

In any event, I've got a 4-prong (the good and easy one) distributor available for $60, shipped. I've also got a single-prong one, and I'll have to check to see if I have the ignitor with it, or if you'll need to get your own. In any event, ignitor modules aren't expensive.

Im running a 610 dist & an HEI module. Simple install / wiring & makes a nice difference. Heres the writeup w/ pics....

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184

Heres the guy [ryan] who helped me...:D

Just for clarification, what you see above is the SINGLE-PRONG distributor with the external ignitor (HEI module). It's an easy upgrade, but the matchbox distributor is even easier than that.

Good idea you had on buying stuff while @ the yards. Theres always gonna be a Ratsun member who needs something + Datsun parts are getting harder to find these days. Ill be going to Ecology next Sat. for half off day, need a few 620 parts. also the 80 720's & 610's had the EI distributors among a few other models which im sure im forgetting. Ill be on the lookout for a few more for me & anybody else who needs one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.