Just bought a 710

I just picked up this '74 710 this weekend off Craigslist. I've been looking for a 610 or 710 for a while now. I was hoping for a 610 with standard tranny to use as a track car, but I ended up with a cruiser...this one was only $1000 so I couldn't pass it up.

It's an automatic and runs good. It started right up on the first try. All the glass is good. It has some rust and needs to get cleaned up. The trunk lid is probably the worst of it.

?action=view&current=061.jpg

?action=view&current=060.jpg

The interior is pretty nice, and even smells good...it has that "old car" smell.

?action=view&current=064.jpg

It's only missing 1 badge that I know of, and the strips that go down the sides.

?action=view&current=063.jpg

This might turn into a project thread, but I'm pretty lazy, so I'll probably just drive around like it is. :) One of the brakes is frozen, so I have to fix that first. There's also a turn signal that's out, but after that it should pass inspection!

If I actually work on it I'll keep you guys posted.

-Todd

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you just need to copy and paste the IMG code and drop it in your post.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on the 710. I used to own a 74 710 2 dr, orange w/ vinyl top but it didn't have the smiley bumpers which look a hell of a lot better then the park bench bumpers.

I see them! Looks better than I thought it would! Great project! I am so excited there is a 710 in newengland (other than that blue one down in CT that a dealer has been trying to sell for 6-7k.)

Those bumpers are so much better than the later park bench monstrocities!

Rock on man!

Those aren't North American bumpers or the usual rear lights. Tell us more about this little jem.

I really don't know anything about it! The car has 47000 miles on it (I think) and hasn't been registered since 1988. I guess it was in a garage for a long time, then the guy I bought it from had it sitting in his yard for a few years. He said he drove it around on a friend's dealer plate but never registered it.

So far, I've driven it onto a trailer and off of it again. My wife and I have a new baby at home, so the price I paid for getting the 710 was to take care of the baby when I got home...this weekend I plan to fill the tires & try to unstick the brakes. I don't want to register it until it's ready to inspect, so I can get the most out of my temp plates.

I've got no idea about the bumpers or the lights...this is the first 710 I've seen in person since high school, so I had no idea they weren't original. There appears to be some repaired damage on the left rear quarter, so maybe it was a repair.

Those aren't North American bumpers or the usual rear lights...

They were on the very early 1974 Datsun 710s, (most with a build date in mid-to-late 1973). They were used until exhausted and then the infamous park bench bumpers came along (Thanks Nixon)

The rear lights are correct for that body style. Those would be the two-door coupe versions, versus the two-door sedan which is much more common. The J-Line is different on the two-door coupe as well (shown on this beauty) It looks like a boomerang.

Beautiful car tbubar! Keep us in the loop!

diggin it now drill holes in the shock mounts remove the rubber filller peices and push them bumpers in where they belong!!

I think this one is like the early 610s - no bumper shocks. Look how close the bumper sits. I have found that if the car was in a wetter climate, there is a buttload of rust behind the overriders. Sometimes just best to leave them on until you can get the rust handled professionally. Still a good looking 710...

I think this one is like the early 610s - no bumper shocks. Look how close the bumper sits. I have found that if the car was in a wetter climate, there is a buttload of rust behind the overriders. Sometimes just best to leave them on until you can get the rust handled professionally. Still a good looking 710...

really wow i thought the early 74 ones wre just the 73 bumpers mounted to shocks if thatsnot the case what did they do just move them out to try and meet the requirments?

I got a look under it this weekend, and it's not pretty...one of the frame rails has been repaired with bondo... looks like I've got some work ahead of me.

I saw that blue 710 sold the same day I bought mine...coincidence? Maybe the guy who sold me this beater just needed to make room for a new one?

http://web.dealer123.com/wa/br/?ID=262454

Anyone know a good welder in southern NH?

-Todd

• 4 months later...

My car is officially on the road! Registered it this morning, NH plate RATSUN! I've got 10 days to get it inspected. It still needs a few things. It will probably need an exhaust at least.

I rebuilt the rear brakes over the past couple weeks. They were frozen pretty bad, so I put all new hardware and now they're free. I'm still getting bad brake pressure, so I'll try to bleed them tonight and flush the fluid. I did replace some of the lines so there's probably a lot of air in them.

Replaced the battery & the engine fired right up. It idles nicely, but it stalls out a little at full throttle. The gas is probably a few years old, so that might be the issue. I'll give it a tune-up when I get a chance.

Needs some body work. Needs a radio. I'm looking for a working FM radio if anyone has one. My plan is to keep the stock radio if possible...if not, I'll hide a modern one under the passenger seat or something.

I'll probably drive around town a little this weekend and see what breaks. If you see me on the side of the road, say hi!

-Todd

Drove it up and down my driveway at full throttle:

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/tbubar/Datsun%20710/?action=view&current=datsun.flv

Drove it around a little today...it runs like crap and the brakes are really soft, but I made it around my neighborhood without killing myself or anyone else, so can't complain. I'm not sure how old the gas was that was in it, but there was only 1/8th of a tank. I topped it up with fresh gas and it's running better. I'm sure it still needs a tune-up.

-Todd

Drove it up and down my driveway at full throttle:

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/tbubar/Datsun%20710/?action=view&current=datsun.flv

Drove it around a little today...it runs like crap and the brakes are really soft, but I made it around my neighborhood without killing myself or anyone else, so can't complain. I'm not sure how old the gas was that was in it, but there was only 1/8th of a tank. I topped it up with fresh gas and it's running better. I'm sure it still needs a tune-up.

-Todd

Dude AWESOME!!! I am so jealous of your 710. Makes me proud that another Datsun is running around the roads of New England! Hopefully we can meet up at a show sometime. There is a big Japanese Carshow in, I think Brookline MA every year. I've never made it, but you can bet when the 59' is running I will!