• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats wrong with fram, I didn't buy their cheapest version

i've never had a prob yet.

yet.

The filter elements collapse. They are a poorly made product.

DSC03092.jpg

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

And Mike, why you want to kno about the 720 tranny?

Radio

Mike retains an encyclopedia like knowledge of all tranny number codes, measurements, ect. Among many other random obscure facts :cool:

Edited by Skib
yet.

The filter elements collapse. They are a poorly made product.

DSC03092.jpg

Mike retains an encyclopedia like knowledge of all tranny number codes, measurements, ect. Among many other random obscure

mikes got crazy information on trannys/rear ends an all kinds of other shit.. when i have a question an dont want to look stupid.. i pm mike.. hahah :lol:

I collect info and pictures on Nissan trannys. I say Nissan trannys now because someone once sent me this picture of a dogleg tranny...

1915841748_83f7e069c7.jpg

... the dog part was right.

So anyhoo, most are over 31" long but the 720 sometimes uses a short tailstock one about 26" long. I can't seem to figure out which models got it and which didn't. I have one from a 4X4 but it has a Z series bolt pattern and just wanted to confirm that the '80 2wd 720 might have a short one with an L series bolt pattern. If it does it would fit the 510 without shortening the driveshaft and would be the much stronger FS5W71B , even stronger than the dogleg 5spd. Sorry you asked now?

...and re the fram filters, I 100% overchange my oil, like 1500-3000km max.

I've used Ac delco, Wix, and fram, np so far!

Radio

stick with the Wix/Napa gold, your engine will thank you.

Fram, even pre-failure, is a poorly made, poorly functioning, poorly filtering product.

you dont have to take our advice (even if you should), but we tell you Fram is shit from plenty of experience.

Edited by Skib

Bought the Wife a new fancy-dancy camera, so heres some high quality shots she took of organization tonite, and I hung a piece of drywall I found in the back...crazy cold snap here still tho! Thank god that my 620 has a block heater now!:D

dry-1.jpg

dry2-1.jpg

dry3-1.jpg

dry4-1.jpg

dry5-1.jpg

dry6-1.jpg

dry7-1.jpg

dry8-1.jpg

dry9-1.jpg

dry10-1.jpgdry11.jpgdry12-1.jpgdry13-1.jpgdry14-1.jpgdry15-1.jpgdry16.jpgdry17-1.jpgdry18-1.jpgdry19-1.jpgdry20-1.jpgdry21-1.jpgdry22.jpgdry23-1.jpgdry24-1.jpg

Radio

Edited by RadioRedline
Bought the Wife a new fancy-dancy camera, so heres some high quality shots she took of organization tonite, and I hung a piece of drywall I found in the back...crazy cold snap here still tho! Thank god that my 620 has a block heater now!:D

Radio

all photos are fail :