FNG- 1967 Datsun 520 -- WITH PIX!

Sudo

Haha! You ask if the cab mount being rusted through is normal....on a Datsun! Definitely, especially on one that old. The floors and rockers are the most prone spots for rust on Datsuns. Welding in new floor pans isn't hard though, so don't worry.

If you ever want to sell the NL320, hit me up, I'll take it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! You ask if the cab mount being rusted through is normal....on a Datsun! Definitely, especially on one that old. The floors and rockers are the most prone spots for rust on Datsuns. Welding in new floor pans isn't hard though, so don't worry.

If you ever want to sell the NL320, hit me up, I'll take it.

roger dat.

Geez...that NL could be the twin to mine :)

Both trucks are in great shape. Congrats!!

The 520 was made in '66....sometime in '67 they started the 4 headlight grill. The NL is a '63, titiled in '64. You'll have a much easier time finding blinkers if needed.

When it comes time to pitch the J series out of the 520, don't forget to keep anything that will fit the NL's E1. It's the earlier E1, so I'm not sure exactly what will swap...but the starter and dizzy should. You'll want to put an EI dizzy in it anyway....if you're converting to neg ground. So...don't forget the NL is pos ground....disconncet the radio before hooking it up differently....antenna too. Anyway.... :)

Geez...that NL could be the twin to mine :)

Both trucks are in great shape. Congrats!!

The 520 was made in '66....sometime in '67 they started the 4 headlight grill. The NL is a '63, titiled in '64. You'll have a much easier time finding blinkers if needed.

When it comes time to pitch the J series out of the 520, don't forget to keep anything that will fit the NL's E1. It's the earlier E1, so I'm not sure exactly what will swap...but the starter and dizzy should. You'll want to put an EI dizzy in it anyway....if you're converting to neg ground. So...don't forget the NL is pos ground....disconncet the radio before hooking it up differently....antenna too. Anyway.... :)

um, reading your build thread again now with a little more attention to detail... I'll just put you on "friend request":D

I was thinking originally of pitching the J once I got the L20b, but now that I have the 320, I may rebuild the J and put it in the 320. Thoughts?

I'll know more come January. Thanks for the responses guys.

I am hoping to set the motor in this next week end after Turkey Day. I will post up what I do for final set of motor & trans.

You will want to round up a 521 L16 or L18 oil pan and oil pump pickup tube& screen. Black pan is a 521 silver is 76 620 pan.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/Charlie69_Datsun/DSC00552noted.jpg[/img]"]DSC00552noted.jpg

I just picked up a 5 speed off a L20b. Not sure if it is truck or car. I'll have to ask. I think the guy said he had a oil pan and whatnot.

How's yours coming Charlie? PIX!

Been sick have not made any progress Bronchitis.

J13 were also used in forklifts. A source in Phoenix for parts is Nauman & Hobbs Equipment. Do not know what all is available but, I will bet you can get everything you need from them or they may be able to refer you to a b usiness closer to you to save on freight.

Naumann/Hobbs Material Handling

Phoenix Operations Building

4336 S. 43rd Pl

Phoenix AZ 85040

Phone 602-437-1331

Fax 602-437-1396

Edited by Charlie69
um, reading your build thread again now with a little more attention to detail... I'll just put you on "friend request":D

I was thinking originally of pitching the J once I got the L20b, but now that I have the 320, I may rebuild the J and put it in the 320. Thoughts?

I'll know more come January. Thanks for the responses guys.

If it's running as is, I'd leave it that way until you have it driveable. Mine gets around just fine with the E1 in it and the 3.89 diff gears. I like to keep up with traffic, but in a rig so rare....I'm not worried about how quick it is. Drive it awhile and decide which way you're going with the build. I'm still hoping to do the retro motor swap with the roadster engine. You may opt for something a bit more available in your area. The roadster engine and the L series are almost identical in size. The L series is the better motor, but the rdstr eng has a lot more "wow" factor when the hood gets opened. If you want to drive it cross country...go with the L, much better parts availability. You could do an SR20....just keep in mind that it's not a very safe rig to start with....making it go fast just ups the potential pain factor.

It's been fun driving mine like a farm truck....slow, noisy, smelly....but I'm looking forward to making it much more driveable. I think I'll enjoy it even more then.

WOAH JUST COUGHT UP ON THIS! Nice NL dude!! I am stoked for you. $500!!! Crazy good deal! You have two very rare trucks here 520 and NL 320. Almost the rarest of the rare. (I think the 221 and 222 are the only rarer ones.)

As to the windshield. I have checked the curve of the 89-94 geo metro suzuki swift. It is the same curve (or close) as the 1959 Datsun sedan, but I am unsure if the 320 and the 59 had the same curve. The Metro is much bigger than the 59 windshield, so it would have to be cut down on all sides.

Google search for 'sandblasting windshields' to cut them down. It seems to be a pretty good way to do it.

WOAH JUST COUGHT UP ON THIS! Nice NL dude!! I am stoked for you. $500!!! Crazy good deal! You have two very rare trucks here 520 and NL 320. Almost the rarest of the rare. (I think the 221 and 222 are the only rarer ones.)

As to the windshield. I have checked the curve of the 89-94 geo metro suzuki swift. It is the same curve (or close) as the 1959 Datsun sedan, but I am unsure if the 320 and the 59 had the same curve. The Metro is much bigger than the 59 windshield, so it would have to be cut down on all sides.

Google search for 'sandblasting windshields' to cut them down. It seems to be a pretty good way to do it.

Thanks fisch. I was gonna look for a Z or a dime for a DD, but it looks like I should focus on 221 or 222. :lol: j/k (there is a line in Mr.Mom with Michael Keaton: "220, 221, whatever it takes."

Good tip on the sandblasting. Thx.

Damn! wish I saw this earlier! I live in KC and own a datsun 620. I had another 620 long bed but I scrapped it after stripping everything out. You mentioned the person you bought your parts car from has another one around here? I really need steering shaft and steering box... Let me know if you need 5 speed gearbox, I have a friend here that has a 280 5-speed trans and also couple l-series heads. He owns a 510 with sr20det.

Anyway wow finally someone close by! Hard to find members in kansas area! hehe

Edited by budsaipan

Yeah. I read all these posts on Ratsun about Canby and other meets and wonder what there is for us in the belly of the nation.

Yeah, real nice guy. Fire Chief over in Leawood. His 620 KC is in progress, but in listening to him talk he's stocked up on parts. Not sure if his intent is to sell, or just never have to hunt for parts again. :lol:

There's some other cat in Belton (by KC) that has a L16, random intake manifolds, carbs, late 70s/early 80s 5speed (from a 280z I think) and a l20b in pieces.

I stated earlier that I had picked it up, but that was when I thought he was in Wichita and it wouldnt be 6 hours car trip to pick it up. So, he's holding it for me until xmas time when I'll be back in KC.

Charlie- he says he has a L16 oil pan. I'll just have to put my parts/wish list together before I go see him and take ca$h. :) Did you ever find a timing cover?

Gents-

Here's how I found all this stuff. Both of these cats contacted me.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1471066078.html

guess I need to update the ad. This is all coming together nicely. A buddy of mine is loaning me his cherry picker tonight, so I can start harvesting parts off the parts truck.

QUESTION- when I scrap out the parts truck, I want to keep the steelies. Will the scrapper come get a "Vehicle" with no wheels? Or would I have to just take off the wheels once the "vehicle" is on the wrecker?

BTW- I've never rebuilt a motor. Never done an engine swap. Havent welded in 15+ years and I wasnt very good at it. I think I know what I'm getting myself into, but I am secretly hoping that ignorance is bliss. :blink:

Damn! wish I saw this earlier! I live in KC and own a datsun 620. I had another 620 long bed but I scrapped it after stripping everything out. You mentioned the person you bought your parts car from has another one around here? I really need steering shaft and steering box... Let me know if you need 5 speed gearbox, I have a friend here that has a 280 5-speed trans and also couple l-series heads. He owns a 510 with sr20det.

Anyway wow finally someone close by! Hard to find members in kansas area! hehe

Bud- in rereading your post that sounds exactly like what Lance has. I wonder if its the same cat.

Lance from belton? I think we are talking about the exact same guy. Real cool guy. He was suppose to buy my truck before but he had too much on his hands. I need to go check him but can't seem to make the time to go down there.

So you dont have the 620 parts truck yet? Let me know if you'd like to trade/sell the steering shaft and steering box on that parts truck before you take it to wichita. I got quite a few parts stocked up but not sure you'd be interested since it's all 620 parts or since you want to keep the 620 steelies, i can give you the chrome round thing for the steelies..

Edited by budsaipan
Lance from belton? I think we are talking about the exact same guy. Real cool guy. He was suppose to buy my truck before but he had too much on his hands. I need to go check him but can't seem to make the time to go down there.

So you dont have the 620 parts truck yet? Let me know if you'd like to trade/sell the steering shaft and steering box on that parts truck before you take it to wichita. I got quite a few parts stocked up but not sure you'd be interested since it's all 620 parts or since you want to keep the 620 steelies, i can give you the chrome round thing for the steelies..

Bud- Wow!:eek: small world. I have the parts truck in my back yard. (the wife is thrilled :lol:) ptCab.jpg Sounds like we can definately work something out on the steering shaft and wormbox. I won't let it go to the scrappers and I can hold onto it until a) I get up to KC to pick over Lance's parts OR B) you can get to ICT. not in a hurry to get rid of it- just in a hurry to get the husk of the 620 out of the backyard.

-- I can't afford any acreage right now!!!

The steering wheel is going back to the cat that gave me the truck though.

Great! I can wait for you to come up as long as you are really coming up. If you can just grab all the brackets with the rubber, that'd be awesome. I broke my gear trying to take it apart. Theres one in St. Louis but it's too far to get it. And yeah hopefully we can work out a trade instead.. money is sort of tight since my wife is expecting next month :eek: but if not then just let me know.. Also dont worry about the steering wheel, I got two of those that I'm not using! Maybe I can add that to the trade too if interested. It's just a bit dusty but still in very great shape.

Thanks for the offer, Lance. I will definitely take you up on that.

... well.... it depends on what my wife has planned for us. It is a family holiday, we will be without a car, and she does have quite an itinerary planned for us.

Even if we don't meet, I'll plan on driving back up to KC in January specifically to look/buy some of your parts.

I don't know what it is about Z guys. I can speculate though: my first Datsun was a Z, and folks treated ME different. I don't think I was anymore of a dickhead before/durning/after the Z, but while I had it people treated me like a punk. Maybe it was the "no muffler" thing, or the constant burnouts that I did around campus, or the smoke that the Z put out.... I dunno:confused: