FNG- 1967 Datsun 520 -- WITH PIX!

Sudo

Alright. New guy introduction time. I had a 240z in the 90s for a couple years, but when it crapped out I had to sell since I lived in an apt at the time and couldn't afford the repairs at a shop. Used the money to buy a 89 Nissan Sentra. I didn't love that car like the Z, but it was dependable, which is more than I could say for the Z.

Flash forward to August 2009, this 1967 Datsun 520 shows up on my local Craigslist. Guy wanted $850 for it. I called but couldn't bring myself to go look at it. It was in Hoisington, KS. Which is about 2 hours away from Wichita. I found Ratsun.net around that time. But, I moved on when it disappeared off of CL. Next in October 2009, what looks like the same truck shows up on CL, this time in Wichita and listed for $700. The only thing different was there was no topper on it this time. Once again, I called. Yup, sure enough: it was the exact same truck.

I couldn't resist, this time it was only on the other side of town, I was going to look at it on Saturday. 2 days away. I called the guy two more times. It almost sold, but some dude stated he had way too many dattos and his wife would kill him if he brought home another. Whew! That was close.

For a Paul Harvey moment, the truck is a Oregon truck. Some guy drove it from Oregon to Kansas. Traded it in on a car and drove that car back to Oregon.

We pull up on Saturday morning, and the first thing out of my wifes mouth? “Well, it sure is cute.” I talk to the seller for a few minutes, turns out the guy in Hoisington delivered the truck to him once he bought it. That's cool. He tells me what he knows about it, while I'm crawling under it, in it and around it. 1) tired engine, 2) leaks oil, 3) burns oil 4) just about everything works 5) fun to drive. On that note let's take it for a test drive. I'm 5'10” 210lbs, the seller is about 6'1” 250 or 270lbs, my wife starts singing “big guys in a little truck” in true Chris Farley “fat guy in a little coat” style. :-D

One test drive, about 4 miles all told. Big smile on my face (remember to use my Poker Face,,,)

we get back to his driveway, I hem and haw for a while and ask if he'll take $600 cash for it today. SOLD!

Took some pix on that day, but they seemed to have dissipated. Here is some stuff from today.

Cuz, I KNOW you all like PIX. :w00t::D

bumperSticker.jpg

Bumper has since been removed. going to buy Jerry's bumperettes. (Forgot his screen name, but has one of the SWEEETESTS 520s on here.)

nose.jpg

you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you cannot pick your friend's nose.:unsure:

passengerSide-1.jpg

Side View.

threeQuarter.jpg

Three Quarter View.

driversInterior.jpg

Interior. (Boat Steering wheel? Seriously? The PO cut the original steering wheel and bolted that thing in. :cursing: I drive in a NASCAR type steering position with knuckles and elbow on the wheel, doing 0-40 in 22 seconds!) sheesh....

engine1.jpg

A shot under the bonnet. Yup, its got a Weber.

plate.jpg

Name plate.

Check out the original color. Wish the PO would NOT have painted it. Now I HAVE to...no chance at patina.

gloveBox.jpg

glove box shows original color as well.

passDoor.jpg

gonna make new door panels out of birch.

More pix upon request. I think it is Datzen or Hainz that hoards them and uses them for our edification at the appropriate times. I'm glad to contribute.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it.... anyone know the part number for the rubber that goes into the tranny? (Man, that sounds like a dirty question.... )

transmissionHole.jpg

Now, the rest of the story. CL strikes again. I posted an ad on my local CL for used/unwanted old Datsuns. Thinking “what the hell. The ad doesn't cost me anything”. TWO DAYS later, a guy just outside of KC emails me and says he has a 78 truck with no hood, doors, or title, but it has the L20B and a 5 speed. Going to get it on Wednesday and use it as a parts truck. Once the L20B swap is done (Spring 2010) I'll start posting my unwanted stuff.

So, in closing this rather lengthy second post, I want to thank you all for being here. Some of you don't need thanked since it is a way of life for you, but I want to thank you anyway. This community is wonderful and it is because of guys (and gals) like you. Th

Edited by Sudo
pix not inline
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An early 67, has the 66 grill. Soon after the yours was made they started the real 67 grill with 4 headlights instead of 2. The L20B will be a tight fit. When Datsun introduced the L series in 68 they changed they front end to be longer and that became the 521 (68-72ish)

Do not get scared the L20B will fit. Purple is right about the engine compartment. The 521 has 5" more between the firewall and the radiator support frame.

Here is a picture of a 1980 L20B & 5 speed sitting in my 1966 520 chassis. Notice the angles on the front wheels. Drop the cross link so you do not bend it. With the motor positioned like it is it just barely clears the firewall. Now that I have the 521 oil pan on the motor I can move it forward if I want, which I will do because with it sitting where it is I had to do a 2" body lift and I do not waant to lift the body if possible. There is a link to my build threadin my signature at the bottom of the page. I am hoping to set the motor in this next week end after Turkey Day. I will post up what I do for final set of motor & trans.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/Charlie69_Datsun/DSC00343.jpg[/img]"]DSC00343.jpg

You will want to round up a 521 L16 or L18 oil pan and oil pump pickup tube& screen. Black pan is a 521 silver is 76 620 pan.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/Charlie69_Datsun/DSC00552noted.jpg[/img]"]DSC00552noted.jpg

Edited by Charlie69

Purple- thx for the heads up.:)

Charlie- I have followed your build once I realized the j13 was going to need a rebuild or replace. Too expensive and not practical to do a rebuild. So, what motor? L20B was recommened by you, Bleach, and a couple others that I don't remember off the top. Glad to hear you are almost to the promised land. Yours was the one with the auto transmission, right. I have to follow yours and figure out the fitment for a 4 or 5 speed. 5 speed preferred, but 4 speed might have to be. Which would be okaaaay, but ...

I told my wife a quote from a local shop that we trust with our cars would charge < $2500 MOL for a rebuild and I could do it for a grand PLUS have the new tools that I would have to buy left over. SOLD! I'm not sure she agreed to the 2 parts trucks that I would park in the backyard was part of the deal. :lol:

I'm going to look at (oh c'mon--- I'm going to buy) a 64 Datsun 1200 Unibody truck at lunch. Here in about an hour. Between the 3 trucks that I will have total I should be able to make a single good solid DD. Wish me luck.

Welcome aboard! Nice little truck! See how cool Ratsun is? Alrady getting some crap and some help!!!:D

Yup!, but I knew what I was getting into. I lurked for about a month.

Thanks Denver. Good to be here. Feels like a good pair of old Levis 501s. :P

I mean that in a good way...

Lets see pics of the 1200!

you'll see em when I get em, but it will be on my crappy iPhone camera, NOT my good digital....

It makes me sound younger to say the iPhone camera is crappy (its what all the young folks say about their camera phones) but I remember when just a digital camera was the shiznit. (What, shiznit is out now? Oh)

Hi Sudo,

Mine is the automatic. The auto I am using has same deminsions as a long tail shaft 4 or 5 speed.

Is that $2500 installed and running. What is included?

I had my L20B rebuilt for just under $1200. I had to install oil pan, oil pump, water pump, water inlet & outlet necks, dip stick, distributor, and valve cover. The rebuild included hot tank block, clean all oil galleys with brush, glass beed head, block, and timing cover, The block was bored 30 over, new pistons and rings, rods were all reconditioned and fitted, new main and rod bearis, Crank ground & polished 10 over mains & 20 over on rods, complete head rebuild including mill head surface line bore cam towers, new cam, new guides, 3 angle valve grind, new timing componenets and a complete overhaul gasket set, and all was assembled.

If the shop is not installing the motor and trans $2500 sounds high.

Is that $2500 installed and running. What is included?

I had my L20B rebuilt for just under $1200. I had to install oil pan, oil pump, water pump, water inlet & outlet necks, dip stick, distributor, and valve cover. The rebuild included hot tank block, clean all oil galleys with brush, glass beed head, block, and timing cover, The block was bored 30 over, new pistons and rings, rods were all reconditioned and fitted, new main and rod bearis, Crank ground & polished 10 over mains & 20 over on rods, complete head rebuild including mill head surface line bore cam towers, new cam, new guides, 3 angle valve grind, new timing componenets and a complete overhaul gasket set, and all was assembled.

If the shop is not installing the motor and trans $2500 sounds high.

Charlie-

Agreed. It does sound high, but it was for the J13 AND it was a ballpark. The guy told me he'd rather shoot high and come in lower than have to justify why it cost more than he quoted. :sneaky:

I dunno.

Anyway, he rattled off most of what you just said except the bore. Said he doubted he could get all the parts for it. it sounded to me like he did not want the job. BUT, it served it's purpose: I told my wife what he said and basically got a $1000 budget to buy tools/toys and rebuild a L20B myself.

I just got back from looking at that truck. Its a 1964 L320. I'm working on the pix now. getting them to photobucket off of my phone's camera. Never done that before.

It looks like MKlotz's truck, 'cept its been sitting for who knows how long. It does have a running motor in it. I heard it with my own ears. Straight pipe (muffler rusted off!) Busted windsheild. Busted passenger side brake light lense.

the gas tank is in the bed. Galvanized pipe or metal in the rockers and rear fenders. :confused: Its a project, PRISTINE DASH.

I'm willing to pick it up and part it out but I do not think I want it as a project at this time. I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of those that know on this forum.

Now the pix.

iPhonePics001.jpg

iPhonePics069.jpg

iPhonePics091.jpg

iPhonePics114.jpg

iPhonePics236.jpg

iPhonePics248.jpg

I have a few more if anyone needs more detail, I could post them. Just let me know.

Should I move this to the Datsun Wanted forum? Or is that double posting?

Both trucks look really sweet. With the rare factor of the nl320 you shouldn't part it out. Looks to be in restorable condition, i mean anything is restorable. But at least to me, all nl's deserve a chance. how much does he want for it? how is it a guy in Kansas finds a single headlight 520 and an nl320? you are the man!

... or the sun will even shine on a dogs ass every now and then...

I dunno, sure they are fairly rare, but I dont see ANY 510s around here. I see about a dozen for sale in CA every week...

If the 320 is still there on Friday I might buy it, but the problem is I need to restore/fixup/repair/upgrade the datto I got. I simply cannot have two lying about in various states of disrepair. This isnt even a wife thing, I simply will not be the guy who has too many projects and has to end up selling one for too cheap... that's just me.

I was really hoping that someone on here really wanted it bad so I could contribute to the community. Guy wants $600 obo for it. If someone wanted to pay that and shipping costs, I am not looking to profit, I would just handle all the local ends of the deal. Like move it to my place until your shipper could pick it up, stuff like that.

...sigh.... if it comes to it I'll probably just buy it and put a tarp on it and stow it in the backyard...:D

Man...thats a great price for the NL...I mean...I love those things and would gladly make the trip East to pick it up for that much...except that I have a small problem since I already have my 1971 521, my 1969 A100 Dodge van, my 1958 Simca, a 94 4Runner, a 94 KIA, and a 94 (popular year eh?:) Mitsubishi wagon.:blink:

I would throw my efforts into that 320 man...thats a no brainer to me:D....super rare...effing WAY cool...looks pretty clean,ish...way restoreable at least. Did I mention Cheap?:lol:

If you do get it and end up pulling the motor for your 520...let me know man...I might just sell the 2 cars and drive your way with a trailer to pick up whats left:rolleyes:

I'll bet I'm one of the closest Ratsun members...at least in the top 10:)

If you do get it and end up pulling the motor for your 520...let me know man...I might just sell the 2 cars and drive your way with a trailer to pick up whats left:rolleyes:

I'll bet I'm one of the closest Ratsun members...at least in the top 10:)

You got it Denver. But, I got a parts truck I'm gonna pick up in KC on Wednesday. It's got a L20b. I know it would fit in the 520 (tight fit, but it will go). I think then the J13 could possibly fit in the NL, but I'm not sure I would want to. I only heard it run for a few minutes, but it already sounds and looks to be in better condition than my J13 motor. :eek:

I was not counting on this when I got bit by the datto bug.... decisions, decisions.

Since i'm getting the parts truck, and I have a 520 that is on its last leg, getting the NL320 would mean moving the parts truck AND the 520 to someone else... not sure I want to do that. You guys are supposed to help me out...:D

Buy them all put the 320 under a tarp until later. Get the 520 road worthy part scrap what you dont use off the 620. engine trans, & third member/rearend.

Once the 520 is up and running tear into the NL320, perfect car for your wife. Ask Mike Klotz the NL is an attention getter. Women like attention.

After all this buy some acreage because your will need it!:lol:

Seriously, if you can do it I would get them all. great deals do not come often.

By the way California & Oregon were ports of entry for early Datsuns, explains why there are so many of them.

Single head light 520's are not that common any more and NL320 are even more rare.

Thx, Charlie. I agree. I told the guy if he still had it by Friday i would buy it. So, I'll call him back on Friday, and if he's got it, I'll go get it. And then you are right: I'll tarp it until later. Or a buddy of mine (that helped me get the parts truck home) said I could store it in his shed until I was ready for it. that is an offer that I may not be able to refuse.

Got back from KC today with my parts truck. Super stoked! (Cliff Notes-- skip long boring read: I'll post pix tomorrow)

It's fugly!!. My 6 year old hadn't seen me since 5:30 am, I get home around 4:30pm and her first words are "Man, Dad, that is an UGLY truck!" To which I gleefully reply "I know!":lol:

Someone on here once said that rust was Nature's weight reducer, well my parts truck weighs about 900 lbs!

No doors, glass, radiator, A/C stuff, shift lever, or title. seat is there, but dash is gone. Has a steering wheel, but I'm going to ship that back to the cat that gave me the truck. I told him I didnt have one and he said I could have it, but he had the horn and horn button, he was going to take the wheel off once I got it loaded. I could tell he wanted to keep the wheel, but said that I could have it... He has a late 70's KC bulletside. I think he said 77. Cool old guy. Fire Chief. Showed up from work to help me load up. Datsun guy from way back it appears. So, as much as I want that steering wheel, I'll give this one up and try to buy a complete one somewhere. ;)

Anyway, I think I'll keep the steelies so I can powdercoat them and swap them out onto the 520. I'll look at the rear end gears to see if they are lower and if they'll swap into the 520 rear. the motor and transmission are complete (except timing cover, NATCH) I might recover that seat and keep mine in the 520 until the spare gets done...transmission mount, motor mounts and cross member are keepers. .. So a rolling resto rebuild mild custom on the cheap....:cool:

Honestly there is not much else there guys. I hate to see it go to waste, but I think the rest gets hauled to the scrappers. It's dark out now so I have no pix yet, but I'll post a bunch tomorrow after Turkey. But if anybody wants anything after all that you are welcome to it. I wont have it hauled off until late January.

I'll pick up the 320 tomorrow if it is still there. thx guys.

here's the pix of the parts truck I picked up yesterday. partsTruck.jpg

L20B.jpg

ptCab.jpg

ptCab2.jpg

ptHeadliner.jpg

ptNose.jpg

ptTail.jpg

ptUnder.jpg

ptUnderBed.jpg

Not pretty, but not bad for free!:D

The rear end third member will bolt right in your hosing. I beieve your 520 is geared with 513's and 620's should be 4.375's.

Happy Thanksgiving and glad to here you will get the 320.

Post some better pictures of the motor so I can see what you are missing and can determine what parts I have that you will need.

Save every thing you possibly can off the 620.

Do NOT part out the NL320, it's so complete it would be a huge shame to have it parted out, with how rare those are. There's tons of us that would be interested in owning an NL320, including me.

roger dat.

I plan on storing it at a buddy's shed until the 520 is "done".

I havent gotten it yet, IF it is still available, I'm going to buy it tomorrow. If its gone, it will be one of those things I regret for years...

called the guy today, asked if he would take $500 for it, he said yes, but not much less than that:blink::blink: I shoulda asked how much less he would take, but I felt that $500 for a "rare" "classic" is fair. So, I told him we would be by in about an hour.

My buddy not only helped me pick it up, he offered to store it in his shed. Then by the time we got it home he offered to buy if from me...:fu: nat gonna do it.

So the immediate plans are to print off the harbour freight coupons (said like Ron White- coopuns), then buy a set of jack stands and a cover. then stop off and buy some rat poison. (his "shed" is a pole barn) and I want to keep the barn mice away from nesting in it. I'll jack it up, put it on jack stands so I can fix the brakes, the stealies will then get a powder coat, then new rubber, (its got 3 out of 4 dog bowls) then run some fuel line, get the gas tank dipped at a radiator shop, install and drive.

It came with a Bill of Sale, so I need to do some title work. It needs a windshield. Does a Chevy Geo interchange with it? What does? I'll start a separate thread to find out. Need tail light lens anyway...

I'm rambling again. Here's the pix.

320.jpg

WOW OH WOW, dead sexy.

320nose.jpg

320_1200.jpg

320passenger.jpg

Dats Harley dog. Good dog.

320tail.jpg

vintage 84 Lumber sticker.

... and YES, we used his golf car/pit car to pull the 320 back to the pole barn.

(My buddy is a SCCA champ in F production and made the golf cart to look like a Miata.)

320vinPlate3.jpg

cab.jpg

need a fuel door....:(

320motor.jpg

dash.jpg

wow, thats in good shape.

floor.jpg

cab mount rusted through... is that normal?

headliner.jpg

More pix upon request...

Thanks again for all your help, gents. More questions to come, I'm sure. I'll start a different thread though.

Edited by Sudo