Headlights killing my batt.

Skib

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be a good time to get a volt meter in the car to find out if ur draining more than recharging as you drive the car.

or something like this that plugs in the lighter. http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0?&camp=212361&creative=391349&linkCode=waf&tag=online0a-20

or all else fail get a test light and put it in series with the battery with everything off. If light comes on you have a drain .

How you know its the headlights? I have heard of some Cibies that were self grounding and when installed turn ON as the 510 light wires have 12volts all the time. but you would see this. unless seombody taped the edge up and its making a slight ground drainign the battery.

Or your running it at Idle and the lights are using more Power than the alternator is replacing!!!!!! but the meter would catch this.

for the life of me buy a volt gauge people. the cig plug in one or a standard volt meter. You catch these proplems sooner

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

ok its got to be a connection somewhere, the lights and dash lights get dimmer as it starts acting up (and i know its the lights cuz i drive around alot in the daylight no problems, just when im running my lights) but it just randumbly kicked back in and everything brightened back up to normal :confused:

Im off to examine every last wire and connection in the bay :blink:

Could be wires are fine just not not charging randomly:

loose belt, damaged, oily...

alternator oily inside, brushes worn, loose/damaged plug

negative ground cable on head? bad connection

needs good ground from battery to body sheet metal

If external VR, not grounded

Are you sure its not the fog lights?

I un hooked all the wiring for the hellas when it started just to be sure.

Could be wires are fine just not not charging randomly:

loose belt, damaged, oily...

alternator oily inside, brushes worn, loose/damaged plug

negative ground cable on head? bad connection

needs good ground from battery to body sheet metal

If external VR, not grounded

belts good, put a brand new one on when I did the alt swap, alt should be good, its only 6mo old. and came off the Z's old turbo motor. ground is bolted to the head

(thought it was a funny spot but Iv tryed to stay out of the engine bay of this one, Ill get the while Im at its and end up rebuilding the motor or swapping it all together:p)

skibby

you obviously check the wires on the alt for good clean connection right? Did you soak the connections at the fuse box?

i noticed when i run my heater my voltmeter drops below 13. fucker sucks a lot of juice. Check your battery cable!!! not a good connection to the battery cable. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. clean the shit really good and make sure its on tight.

my 85 4x4 voltmeter was showing correct volts when it was running, yet it would never start without a jump. turns out the batt connection was shit.

ck by the volt reg and maybe disconncet and plug it back in

ck the screws at the alternator.

PS they say 3 out of 5 alternators are bad out of the box in the cheaper stores!!!!!!!!!!

what does the volt meter say?

Do you run a harness with the Hellas? I assume yes. 55/60 watters?

baterry not hitting the hood? Put plus side of battery towards the fire wall.

I had a Z car that had a weeak alternator. Drive home at nite w/ wipers on car would not start next day. But if drive in daytime car would start OK. Find out I was running off the battery at nite or when exessive use the accessories. But was always enough juice to get home. Sold car. assume it was the alternator as the it also had a internal volt reg with the alt. or bad ground

thats the plan for today, Im gonna go there and clean all the connections and change the ground spot.

Iv had that on the Z before too, I had a brand new batt. and it still wouldn't start without a jump, turns out there was corrosion inside the insulation of the batt. cable

ck by the volt reg and maybe disconncet and plug it back in

ck the screws at the alternator.

PS they say 3 out of 5 alternators are bad out of the box in the cheaper stores!!!!!!!!!!

what does the volt meter say?

Do you run a harness with the Hellas? I assume yes. 55/60 watters?

baterry not hitting the hood? Put plus side of battery towards the fire wall.

I had a Z car that had a weeak alternator. Drive home at nite w/ wipers on car would not start next day. But if drive in daytime car would start OK. Find out I was running off the battery at nite or when exessive use the accessories. But was always enough juice to get home. Sold car. assume it was the alternator as the it also had a internal volt reg with the alt. or bad ground

I know the alt is good its a 60amp internally regulated alt from a 280ZX, I was running it on the Z before I put it on the goon.

the hellas where hooked up to the harness and relay that comes with them, I unhooked them when it first started happening so there not the problem.

batt isnt hitting as far as I know and yes the + is towards the firewall

I know the alt is good its a 60amp internally regulated alt from a 280ZX, I was running it on the Z before I put it on the goon.

the hellas where hooked up to the harness and relay that comes with them, I unhooked them when it first started happening so there not the problem.

batt isnt hitting as far as I know and yes the + is towards the firewall

Did you check your signature? Maybe its to long :lol::fu:

Edited by h2theizzo
The goons headlights keep killing the batt. :(

There on relays and I have a 60amp IR alt from a 280zx :confused:

any suggestions?

dang!!! that reminds me of dr's stein. he bought a high dollar batt and ended up blowing all four headlights...twice. :eek:thats the biggest reason we bought the junker. he used the wiring harness off it and its done good since. thats a story u 2 need to talk about.