5 Speed Install Problems

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pressure plate is matched to the housing that holds the release bearing on the clutch arm. The housing comes in many lengths to compensate for the differences between the pressure plate heights. If all you changed was the transmission then the pressure plate and release bearing housing stayed the same.

When swapping, the slave was off and just hanging there. The weight of the fluid in the lines may have pushed the slave piston/seal outward and fluid leaked out. I came out once to find the slave piston popped out from this when changing a tranny. Fill the master and open the bleeder screw and let the air out.

So you didn't change your actual clutch pressure plate or disk? And you switched the throwout bearing and the collar it mounts on from your 4-speed over into the new 5-speed? From my understanding of clutches and throwout bearing collars and such, that is the correct way to do it. Throwout bearing collar matches the clutch, not the tranny. But I'm in the process of doing an auto to dogleg swap, so I'll be able to test my theoretical knowledge in the real world.

It seems possible you actually have a slave cylinder/bleeding problem. Did you swap your 4-speed slave over onto the 5-speed, or did the 5-speed come with it's own slave?

Len

Datzenmike said what I was thinking about air in the slave. I had this happen with my SX while driving once (luckily close to home). I went ahead and put a cylinder kit in the slave, and the problem went away. I never exactly understood what happened, but it seemed air got into the slave. Maybe I could have just bled it, but I put in the kit to be sure it didn't reoccur.

Len

I had this same problem with the l16 slave in my 521. The system seemed to bleed fine, no leaks, yet I couldn't get pressure. I had to rebuild the slave, and that fixed it. I might have rebuilt the master too, but I cant remember!

So I left the L20b truck clutch on along with it's throwout bearing, fork, and slave cylinder. The throwout bearing was the exact same model as the 280.

-What do you mean by the collar the throwout bearing mounts to?

-Could my clutch master need rebuild? I think its newish. How do I narrow this down?!??

-I need to get this car fixed so I can be a pizza delivery boy :P already got the gig. Hoping for some good tips for a cool delivery car ;)

-What do you mean by the collar the throwout bearing mounts to?

These things:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transreleasebearings5Large.jpg[/img]"]transreleasebearings5Large.jpg

Pressure plates come in different thicknesses or heights. Since the master/slave/clutch arm/release bearing remains the same there has to be a way to keep them in the same range when used with a taller or shorter pressure plate. A taller pressure plate will use a shorter collar like the one on the far right. A shorter pressure plate will need a taller collar like on the left. This keeps the clutch arm to remain in the same operating range.

If you have a short collar on a short height pressure plate the clutch arm will have to travel too far forward to disengage the clutch. The clutch peddle may even hit the floor before the clutch releases properly. If the collar is too long when used on a tall pressure plate the clutch arm may not be able to move back far enough to fully engage the clutch and it may slip.

As long as you used the collar that was matched to the clutch on your car/truck, and only swapped the tranny then you should have no problem with this.

If you used the release bearing collar that was on the new transmission it could be matched to a totally different pressure plate.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/720dieseltrans002Large.jpg[/img]"]720dieseltrans002Large.jpg

Cyber beer to the first to identify this FS5W71B tranny I have.

Ok, how about a '80 200sx. I want that Cyber beer.... :lol:

No. Again, the starter is on the wrong side.

... been searching and I might have found it ~ 82 720

No. Again, again, the starter is on the wrong side.

its prolly a CA trans..

No. Again, again, again, the starter is on the wrong side.

Thirsty boys?

280 Z FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.321 2.077/37% 1.308/37% 1/24% 0.864/14%

280 ZX (8/78-7/79) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.321 2.077/37% 1.308/37% 1/24% 0.864/14% also 810 Maxima

280 ZX (8/79-6/80) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.062 1.858/39% 1.308/30% 1/24% 0.773/23%

280 ZX (7/80-6/83) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.062 1.858/39% 1.308/30% 1/24% 0.745/26%

200 SX (7/81-9/83) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.592 2.246/37% 1.415/35% 1/30% 0.813/19% w/Z22E motor

620 Truck

(74-80) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.592 2.246/37% 1.415/35% 1/30% 0.813/19% w/L16 and L20B motors

720/D20 Truck

(80-86) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type 3.592 2.057/43% 1.361/34% 1/27% 0.813/19% w/L20B, Z20, Z22, & Z24 motors

Edited by h2theizzo