What's the highest mileage vehicle you've ever seen?

Something about vehicles with loads of miles on them, but have never had and major mechanical repairs done on them amaze me. Not limited to just datsuns, what are some of the highest mileage vehicles you've had experiences with, or seen? I've got a couple that I'll make an example of...

1)04 f350 4x4 6.0l diesel. It's one of the work trucks at my work, that the president/sales guy drives all over. It's got about 325k on it, and has never had anything replaced or repaired on it, aside from routine maintenance stuff, and routine oil changes. I'm not a big fan of the 6.0, but this one sure seems to stay together.

2)78 Datsun 510 Wagon, L20b. My grandpa bought it in the mid 80s. He drove it for while, and gave it to my Dad for his birthday around '93 or so. Dad drove it for a long time, and then when I turned 16.5 he gave it to me. I sold it in 2003, we speculate it had over 250k miles on it. The only things that was ever replaced were starters, the carburator, and front brake hoses. And routine maintenance stuff. I should have kept that car :(

This next one is the most surprising to me...

3)94 Ford Explorer Sport, v6. This is my Mom's vehicle. She bought around 99. I've heard lots and lots of horror stories about Explorers, but She's still driving it, and it still looks like when she got it! Last time I drove it, it had 197k miles on it. The only major thing that was replaced was the clutch. No other problems with it, just routine maintenance stuff.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest personally; 1981 210 wagon, drove it to 235,000 before needing a headgasket. Fixed that in 3 hours and drove it to 260,000+ when it was sold to someone else who is still driving it.

Highest I've seen; Early 80s Volvo wagon with 514,000 miles and still going.

On a side note, there was an old Harley at a car show one time that the owner claimed had over 950,000 miles on it. All done by him. And he looked it. ;)

My '69 520 has 380,000 on it... the prior owner had it form new and documented everything. It's been through an engine rebuild and a replacement (J15), 2 read ends, 2 transmission, etc.

My '78 510 wagon has 320,000 on the original engine.

My '74 620 just rolled the odometer again a few weeks ago. Over 300,000. Not the original engine, though- has a L20B and dogleg from a 200SX in it.

A neighbor had an early '70s Chev wagon with just over 1/4 million miles! One tranny and a valve job.

My '78 has over 300,000 Km on it. It came to me with 220,000 Km and I've driven to Ontario at the very least, six times, for another 60,000 Kms, and I've driven it for 13 years on top of that. The 720 dash I put in was under 10,000Km of the old 620 dash reading. It turned 300 this past spring and promptly blew the gasket. Fixed for $23. It's the first time I have put a wrench to the motor other than setting the valves. She's sitting under the plum tree in the back yard and when she's tired of retirement, I'll get her late B-210 or HL 510 to drive around in.

My dad commutes more miles a day than me, over 130 each day. his first saab made it to 240k before it was retired. Nothing major was replaced. On a saab even the simple jobs are a bitch though. His new on which he bought off ebay for 2k with a little over a 100k now has nearly 200k. one starter and one alternator.

My SR has over 100k it took a few different cars to get it there :D Tranny sounds like shit expecially 3rd... I have an extra one just in case.

My all time favorite is a buddies Kia which has 140k and he hasn't done SHIT I put pads on for him at 105k and that was the first set. He didn't buy new wiper blades until the car was 5 years old! Don't forget we are in washington. He did take it in once because it was running really bad and it turned out to be a bad coil, it cost him about 200 bucks to have it fixed. The Kia has a system similar to EDIS (1 coil for 2 plugs) So you can imagine how bad it ran, and he drove it like that for a few years because he didn't want to spend any money on it. I have to say they are tuff cars, if you knew my buddy you would get a better picture :D O and there is not one body pannel without a dent, He was thinking about trading it in once, the dealer said it was a 500$ car haha If only they made RWD cars! :)

Jeff- Kia does make the Sorento...a know it's a SUV and not a car, but they are fun to drive. they've got a tip-tronic? slapshift semi/auto transmission, and I THINK they might have LSD rears...I almost wrecked my girl's parents rig the other day, it was full on drifting on me :D :D :eek:

As for milage, my brother's 86 subaru had something like 400k miles, but it was on it's 2nd or 3rd engine. Still says a lot for the rest of the car. Theres some euro cars out there with Million+ miles, I think it's like a sport to them

I almost wrecked my girl's parents rig the other day, it was full on drifting on me

an accident i'm sure... :D

in my short life i've seen a few vehicles that were up there in mileage. one was my dad had an 80's isuzu pup that had close to or over 300k miles when he sold it, had like 250k when he bought it, he needed something to drive to work and he bought it from a friend for 200 bucks. it used a case of oil a month... he just decided to not bother working on it, just drive it till it stops running, for 200 bucks he couldn't justify messin with it. anyway he drove it for a while and then decided he could afford to get something a lil better so he sold it for 500 bucks. it hadn't ever had any major replacements. you didn't even really have to change the oil on it cause you constantly had to put new oil in there... ha

but i remember reading about a vehicle that had 1million miles on it or something like that... it was an audi or a saab... maybe even a bmw. the guy bought it new, always did his maintenance schedule like clock work. mostly drove on the interstate. always let it warm up and blah blah... it still looked almost brand new after all those miles. clean under the hood. spotless interior. whatever brand it was, they found out about it, they gave him a brand new car for free if he would give them his car for their museum. i thought it was interesting.. lived in new york or something ... i think... could be way off.

... as much as it looks like that's the one i'm thinking of. i don't think it is... cause i know the guy i read about stopped driving the car cause they gave him a brand new one. and he didn't do any of it on purpose at all, he was just really anal about keeping his car clean and running properly. interesting story tho...

i do think it's interesting how some people act about driving. this guy obviously loves driving his car. i've always loved driving, a pretty short time relative to others, but it didn't matter if i was going up to the store or driving to colorado a few years ago, i've always enjoyed driving. it almost doesn't even matter the vehicle. but where i live now is only about 5 miles from town, my parents and uncle sometimes will do anything they can think of to get out of driving to town and back... it doesn't make any sense to me.

My 79 GMC 1500 pickup has just over 230,000 miles on him..that is the second motor in there...not much else over the entire time I have owned it..bought it new in Dec 78 (matter of fact I traded "Ol Yeller" for it...HMMMMMMMMMMMMM I had completley forgotten that fact....darn...Also got an 85 Thunderbird with 140,000 original miles..(all original...the wifes daily driver...looks a little worn out...but looks are deceiving..)(wait ....the car looks worn out....not the wife!!!)

there is a toyota truck going round the world that is around 1,000,000 miles so far, no major work (cant find the link yet)

my 94 toyota p/u(22RE) had 235,XXX original miles before the HG went, made it to 260K before the ex killed it...

my moms 89 toyota(22RE) has ~300K on the OG 22re, but she does drive it like a gramma

my wagon has ~250k on it (im the 3rd owner, got it with 105K) replaced the OG L16 at 190K since it was only running on 2 cyliders. woulda waited even longer but it could hit 50mph any more :lol:

swapped in an L20b which made it to 250k, till the HG went. wait...waiting for the LZ22 now.

I just let my '01 dodge diesel go last night with 247,000 on the ticker.

My sister bought an 84 toyota 4x4 off the lot brand new and kept it until it was stolen out of her driveway in '03 with close to 600k on it. I drove it for awhile and had to replace the head, but it was the orig. block.