More alternator questions

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

I want to hook up a 60 amp alternator form a 280z into my 76 620. The z alternator is internally regulated, the truck's is externally regulated. I know I need the water neck and a longer belt and all that. How would I go about bypassing the external regulator to run a beefyer alternator that's internally regulated? Is this a difficult mod? Just want more juice to my lights, stereo, etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wht /red & wht/blk

yellow and wht

disconnect the volt reg connector(can leave it in place ) You will use the femal end.

get 2 wires about 1-2inch long(about same as full erection size for DatsunNoob)

now splice a male blade conector on there. on both ends then stick in the female contacks which will be the vehicle harness that will rout to the alternator and T connector You Do Not cut the stock wires and can go back to stock or a 50 external reg alternator if you like.

Now what I gave is for a 70-73 510 which I believe is the same as the early 620 but you have to make sure go to 620.com for the wire diagrams if in dought

also on thr Dime quarterly website in the eleltrical IR alternator section gives a explanation on what to do

I swear this was on the DVD I gave you. Look it up

I want to hook up a 60 amp alternator form a 280z into my 76 620. The z alternator is internally regulated, the truck's is externally regulated. I know I need the water neck and a longer belt and all that. How would I go about bypassing the external regulator to run a beefyer alternator that's internally regulated? Is this a difficult mod? Just want more juice to my lights, stereo, etc.

Grab the 3 bolt, alt. to block mount too. The mount positions the alt a little higher. (at least the 720 one does) Grease the idler arm one last time too, as there isn't much clearance to get at it once the 60 amp is in there. Maybe get and angled nipple for it. I also wired the rad hose more out of the way of the spinning alt, fins. Check out the 720 lower hose. Some had a slide on 'glove' or sleeve of thicker rubber to prevent chaffing. Or cut a larger diameter length of old hose from the wreckers and slip over yours for a cushion.

I also replaced the stock alt. output wire with a 10 gauge and connected it directly to the starter lug rather than to the already crowded Pos terminal with all the corrosion. This gives a good clean connection to the Pos battery cable. I wrapped it with that split black wire loom protecting stuff all the new cars have.

Guest DatsuNoob
wht /red & wht/blk

yellow and wht

get 2 wires about 1-2inch long(about same as full erection size for DatsunNoob)

Hainz is jealous cause he's working with half of what I got.

• 2 months later...
Guest DatsuNoob

So today I got around to attempting the swap , and noticed the lower alty bracket shifts the 60 amper's pulley forward in relation to the fan's pulley about 3/4". Is there a different lower alternator bracket I should keep on the lookout for, for making a 60 amp swap possible? Which one? Who's done this swap before?

Guest DatsuNoob
The Z car alternator should bolt on with zero mods. I have one on my 620.

What year though? Mine's a 76. The fucker only goes on one way, so I dont think I'm not doing it right. I think brackets may be different for later models, because I saw the 60 amp set up on a 720 w/L20b in a junk yard, and it looked a little different that what I got. I was running low on time, so I couldn't grab it. I figured I'd ask around 1st anyway. All I know is I'm not gonna cut the damn thing cause it's friggin iron, and my apartment people are buggin out cause they don't want to see me wrenching on it any more. May just go get a stocker for now.

they dont wanna see you outside wrenchin on your dat?? boy do they have another thing coming. tell them at least you have a hobby cause i bet they dont. i'm sure they're just jealous you have a hobby that keeps you out of trouble. unlike their gambling and whore mongering.:lol:

are we talkin tenets or management? my wife and i have been apartment managers for for many years. put in on the street while you work on it and management cant say shit. were fortunate to have a actual person/human being that owns our complex rather than sending our rent to some company out of state. good luck with that.

Guest DatsuNoob

Management. They say I cant work on the truck for "insurance reasons", but as long as I can manage to do the work after 5, then what they dont know wont hurt them. Fuck 'em, hopefully I'll be moving soon. BTW, is $35 a good deal for a used but working gear reduction starter? The Mrs. just scored me one on ebay, what a gal!

Guest DatsuNoob

Today I went to the local JY and pulled a alt bracket from a 720 4X4. Comparing it the the 620 one, it would have given me the exact opposite result I was after. It actually shifts the alt forward another inch, so for those of you who can learn from my misfortune, I saved you the trouble of a fruitless mission. I honestly don't get why I'm having a problem with my bracket if folks say it's a direct bolt on, but I think I'm just gonna fab one up outta 1/2" flat stock and a couple bits of angle iron, this shit is getting ridiculous, and I wanna make it happen. I had to put on a spacer sleeve on the shaft of a vw jetta alternator once to make the belt track properly on both pulleys, has anyone ever heard of people doing that for a datto 60 amp?

I always scam extra alt mounts and the slider arm that tightens the alternator.

The arm you can put in from or the rear before bolting it up so the ARM doesnt crack

The mounts on the block I thought most would line up but I havent dealt with 620 stuff before. I assume most to be close to the same. just the early 510/521 use the smaller bolts. the later L moters went with bigger.

As for the 1, 2 inch comment?

I met a chick and she said Her ex husbands had GIRTH!!!!!!!

Then I knew I was a #2 pencil!!!!!!!!!

Anyone in this list selling one those modified heimed alternator bracket?

Mine just broke and I remember that one bolt holding it from that block won't come off unless I take out the water pump pulley.

While I'm at it, maybe just put a stronger bracket.

I'm plague with issues on my 521.

One problem to the other.

thank god for this list.

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-2077&Category_Code=

a little expensive. I got mine for like 25-30$ or so from a guy in Oregon( a Z car guy)

azcarbum@msn.com I dont know if he still sells them but he makes them up.

or you can make your own from the hardware store or maybe place that sells campers ,to use to hold down.(turnbuckles)

yeah it sucks you have to pull the pully(remove the rad) to get to that long boltto the front cover that holds that bracket

...to make the belt track properly on both pulleys, has anyone ever heard of people doing that ...?

the PO had welded an oversize pulley to 1/2 of the stock pulley to compensate for the gap. ~1/4" off

unfortunately it wasnt perfectly centered and caused bearing failure from high RPMs.

i have the stock size pulley for now, but the belt i chose is a bit thinner so it site deeper in the groove and hasnt had any issues.

eventually ill add a proper oversize pulley :rolleyes:

I met a chick and she said Her ex husbands had GIRTH!!!!!!!

:lol:

hung like a tuna can

• 1 month later...

kind of in a pinch. My only transpo, 77 620, and I only have a 78+ alternator, and I'm not sure how to wire it.

I found this page, it's for a 77 280, and the female harness plug has the same wiring. Do you guys think this will work?

http://http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/voltreg.htm

wiring is the worst/my worst. And I'm a little slow so I couldn't quite make out banzai510(hainz)'s post. My wires are all free-wiring after the plug, I've got one wire to the starter and two to the alternator.

I don't want to hook it up wrong and burn something, the last thing I need is more wiring issues.

Thanks in advanced, I'm stuck, so if anyone can help a brother out asap it will be greatly appreciated ...and I will definitely owe you a drink.

EDIT: OK, so retarded n0ob first post, I'm slowly figuring it out, that there is one difference between the link I found and banzai510(hainz)'s, where the link calls for yellow->white/blue (mine looks more green) and banzai510(hainz)'s puts yellow with white. Whites power right? It's the heaviest wire. Not sure which to go with here. I'm thinking yellow-> white/blue is safer to try... I better go seach for my test light before I try anything... anbody here that can help?

PS EDIT: I mis-wrote the last line (badly). Fixed it now.

JIMMY:

Your '77 has an external voltage regulator on the fender well behind the battery. (you may know this) The '78 alternator is an internally regulated output and does not need the external regulator. (you may know this too) The '78 alternator can be wired to fit and work in your truck.

If your '77 wiring is good you don't need the 280Z stuff. Use your wiring.

Take a good look at the two pictures below, (they are for a 510 but the '77 620 is similar BUT, some of the wires are different colors) The top one is basically how your's is wired, and the bottom one is how it's got to be wired to use the '78 alternator. Just unplug your regulator and and leave it, take the other connector and jumper the White and Yellow wires together, then jumper the White/Black wire to the White/Blue wire. That should do it.

I'm using the '77 620 wireing diagram for the wire colors, does anyone see any mistakes????

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/wireingdiagram510ignitionwithballas.jpg[/img]"]wireingdiagram510ignitionwithballas.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/wiringdiagram510internallyregulated.jpg[/img]"]wiringdiagram510internallyregulated.jpg

JIMMY:

Your '77 has an external voltage regulator on the fender well behind the battery. (you may know this) The '78 alternator is an internally regulated output and does not need the external regulator. (you may know this too) The '78 alternator can be wired to fit and work in your truck.

If your '77 wiring is good you don't need the 280Z stuff. Use your wiring.

Take a good look at the two pictures below, (they are for a 510 but the '77 620 is similar BUT, some of the wires are different colors) The top one is basically how your's is wired, and the bottom one is how it's got to be wired to use the '78 alternator. Just unplug your regulator and and leave it, take the other connector and jumper the White and Yellow wires together, then jumper the White/Black wire to the White/Blue wire. That should do it.

I'm using the '77 620 wireing diagram for the wire colors, does anyone see any mistakes????

Thanks datzenmike, great diagrams, to bad it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.:(

Yeah, I totally realize that I am trying to bypass my reg. :D.

So you're not sure on the colors right? Because all three are different now. LOL

your white/yellow is the same as banzai510(hainz)'s, but the wht/blk-wht/blu is different than both.

the first two have the wht/blk-wht/red tied together.

I'm so confused?!

still holding off from guessing, but I have to work tommorrow morning! heh.

According to the '77 620 wiring diagram the White/Black and the White/Blue are the colors on YOUR truck regulator's plug.

there it is then. you are the dude who knows whats up (not saying anyone else doesn't, as you just answered specific for me). and thx a mil for that, datmike. Owe you one.

(ps I was sweating it for a bit when the site went down for a bit. LOL)

btw, they want $50 for a reg. @ autozone these days!! (I checked my alternative)