More alternator questions

Guest DatsuNoob

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, tried to hook it up this morning and when I plug in the reg. side plug (that I cut off to use as the jumper) one of my relays clicks (the center one), doesn't seem right. It should also be noted that my white/black has been spliced before the female end (that connects to the regulator plug) and runs to the alternator, the only wire that was hooked up to the alternator, (I don't even know where the other end that goes into the harness is)and I believe it was hooked up to the post marked "Y" on your graphic (top of the T) but I'm not sure (it may have been hooked to the other post, I know, I'm a mess). Also it seems that between charging with the charger, and then making suicide runs with the headlights on, I have killed my battery :(, so I am getting picked up by my partner ...hopefully they'll let me take the work truck home until I get this worked out.

It won't even start right now (because of the battery) so that I can see if working, and I just put a charge on it last night and have used no juice since.

Hey thanks a lot for you guys helping me through this, I would be lost without the help, you know how it is trying to find a good/fair electrical guy, even if I could spare the money to pay a guy...

Do you guys think I should start my own thread with this? And start over and try to explain it better?

As I said though, my guy is picking me up and I won't be home until tonight.

• 1 year later...

When I bought my king cab, my charge light would always come on when I first started it and stay on until I ramped it up and go away. It was like that until I hit the deer last june. I pulled the wiring harness and put the new wiring harness from the other truck, plugged everything in when I rebuilt the truck. When I got it all done, I started it up, the charge light stayed on completely, and then the truck wouldn't shut off when i turned the key off. Case in point, I had an interanally regulated alternator as well with having everything hooked up to the voltage regulator. I stripped apart the old wiring harness, and although they still had the voltage regulator hooked up, they had two yellow wires fused together into one wire. So I got a non internally regulated alternator, and thus that fixed the problem.

Other then when My ground slipped of the nator and over boiled a couple batteries.

Well, now, I have an issue, My battery is good, my alternator is good, my voltage regulator i'm not sure about. The charge light never came on as I was coming back from Couer D' Alene Idaho last week, but the truck completely drained power to everything with in the course of 30 miles. Once i got her jumped everything was back up, but after sitting for a while, the battery lost charge. I tested the alternator, charged the battery, they were all good. didn't notice if the charge light was coming on before i replaced voltage regulators with the original one that came from the harness i have now. Now the charge light is on, yet the truck shuts off, so I'm debating on whether if i should put the old voltage reg back in and see what happens there.

But, the VR527 is 90 bucks at the least with my contact at NAPA, and an internally regulated alternator is 35 bucks at schmucks. so i'm thinking I should bypass the VR and go to electronic ignition as well.