lsd help

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the same as most other lsd's (clutch style)...

Use standard gear oil 80w-90w an some lsd additive. I can't remember what it's called but it should be in the gear oil section of you local parts house.

You might also ask the manufacturer of the lsd what they recommend

Don't know if this will help... I grew up with muscle cars and LSDs were the rage. Some problems occurred when driving mainly on the highways where there wasn't much turning involved. The fluid would squeeze out from between the multi discs and plates and they would become 'dry' as it were. This led it improper operation when you needed it. The solution was easy, 5-10 left hand circles follower by the same to the right, or figure 8s. This forces the special fluid between the counter-rotating plates and clutch discs to 'wet' and lube them.

sounds like its worn out...you can always pull it apart and swap the shims around to increase the break away pressure and while your at it find a rear end out of a lagacy wagon and swap gears and have a 411 LSD :D

well i used 80/90 with a mopar friction modifire but it just don't seem to hook up as well as i hoped some times it kicks side ways real nice some times it just will not slide :(

Mine does the same thing, if I'm on super grippy concrete it breaks away but on most services it does great! Last night I was doing a little more testing hehe I like right hand donuts the best. I did to many though I just about puked! Frank won the competition though, his tires are the proof :eek:

Can you really just swap the gears? do they bolt right in? fit in the housing?

I'm tired of the 3.7!!

from datsun510.com

What if you find a 3.70 Subaru LSD, but want a 3.90 or 4.11 ratio? I have heard that the 3.70 Subaru units will fit inside the 510 R-160 cases, and that the 510 ring & pinions will fit inside the Subaru R-160 cases. I have not seen nor done this myself, so I cannot offer specifics, nor guarantee that this is the case. I am sure that Subaru LSD units will interchange inside all of the Subaru R-160 cases, using various Subaru R-160 ring & pinion ratios. I purchased a used Subaru 3.70 LSD unit and a used legacy 4.11 open R-160 differential and created a 4.11 LSD unit from the parts. I paid a rear-end shop $120 to drill the six 10mm holes out to 11mm so the Subaru LSD unit's bolts could be used, and to set up the newly assembled unit with the correct tolerances. You MUST use either the Nissan Motorsports LSD 10mm x 1.25 ring gear bolt set (Part # 99996-D3100, bolts cost $8 each and you'll need 8 of them), or just BE SURE to use the bolts that came with the LSD unit, not the ones from the open differential whenever you do this or your LSD innards will chew themselves to pieces. List member Gary Savage did put a Subaru LSD carrier from a 3.70 ratio differential into his 510 using the 510 differential case, the NISMO LSD bolt set and the Nissan 4.11 ring & pinion to get the 4.11 LSD he wanted, with no reported problems to date.

Also, all Subaru ring & pinions (R&P) from 4/86 onwards use 11mm fine thread bolts (instead of the 10mm x 1.25 ones used in the 510) to attach the differential carrier. This means that if you want to use a Subaru LSD and the R&P it came with, you're fine. But if you want to use the Subaru LSD with say, the Subaru non-LSD 4.11 R&P, and don't have the LSD bolts, you'll need to

ps i talked to a subaru guy and he said i am useing to thick of oil

you should try that 70/75 that bartosh sells, he was telling me it has the viscosity of 30w engine oil. Apparently its used alot in the formula v, VW transaxles so it can handle that abuse your LSD is gonna be put through. peace.