KA Oil Pan Modification

Hey, So I'm getting close to rounding up all the parts for my KA swap into my Goon. One of the last snags I have to deal with is the oil pan. I have decided to NOT go the route of cutting and flipping the crossmember for a couple of reasons.

1. I want to be able to pull this motor and drop it into another 510.

2. I want the mods to my Goon to be reversible

3. I don't like the idea of having to buy a new expensive front sway bar(or having none at all!).

4. I don't have the plasma cutter or mig/stick welding setup.

5. I have weighed both options, and it is both more time and cost efficient to make an oil pan and pickup that will work with the stock 510 setup.

6. I want to do it this way.

So, having said all that, who else has gone this route, and can give me some pointers. I am aware that a Nissan Frontier(rear sump) has a closer design than that of the 240sx(front sump) Also, does anybody have any of these pieces lying around? I know, I know, "Check the junk yard". No shit. I'd like to avoid crawling around in broken glass and mud puddles in any of our choice yards here in the swamp known as Willamette Valley. If I have to, I'll make one from scratch out of the existing 240sx oil pan, but I'd rather not have to do that, either. What can I say? I'm a laaaazy, lazy man.

Edited by MicroMachinery
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh i see, are those suppose to clear the xmember? Yah, i definately need to get a sway bar for the front. Only a couple places make a front sump one. Especially with the turbo setup on there now. I can feel the weight shifting around a lot more now. Turns are not that fun at the moment.

Depends on the KA, is it E or DE and did it come out of a 240sx or Hardbody? The Hardbodys all (KA24E and DE) had external oil pumps and the front right oil pan has the corner missing from it. Plus they are rear sump pans. The early 240sx with the KA24E also had the external oil pump with the right front corner missing but the later DE did not. The 240sx were front sump pans.

The pan from an external oil pump KA (E or DE) will not fit the internal pump KA24DE.

As Datzenmike said, the truck oil pan will not fit. Easiest way would be to cut the whole pan away from the flange, spin it backwards and weld it back... The problem then is fabbing a longer oil pickup tube. Just be careful to make it right the first time!!

Here is a picture of my oil pan. Very time consuming to build so won't be cheap to have someone else build. Probably on your own to have it built. Only part useable of the stock pan was the mounting flange to the engine. Don't have pictures of the inside. Good luck.

IMG_4947.jpg

Here is a picture of the one I made.

IMGP1804.jpg

Like was previously said, it is NOT an easy job at all. Flipping an x-member is much easier. The only reason I did mine the way I did is because my car is so low (~2" at the front x-member). If my car was not this low, I would have just flipped the x-member. If you don't have a good deal of experience working with sheet metal, this will be a very difficult thing to make. If you do go for it, make sure you post pictures!

Duke, if you don't mind sharing some dimensions of your oil pan, that would make my build SO much easier. Getting the measurements is where I get slowed down. The welding is a cinch. If you could get me the exact measurements of how far back the sump sits, how wide/deep/long it is, how deep the pan is above the sump, and how much space there is from the rear of the pan to the rear of the sump, I think I could easily put one of these puppies together. Also, are you using the 620 motor mounts? If not, which ones do you have?

I do realize that it would take a bit of sacrifice on your part, seeing as how your car sits 2" at the front crossmember. If you did that you'd be my new BFF.

Of course, you could always say, "Figure it out for yourself". I understand that, too. I'll just have to do some more head-scratchin'. Thanks either way.

Well, I could take the measurements for you, but I'm pretty sure they would be completely useless. I made my own motor mounts to move the engine lower and further back than the stock mounts would allow. So, if you are using the stock motor mounts, the engine will sit differently than mine and the dimensions of my pan will be irrelevant when it comes to your application. If you are still interested, take a look at my build thread on http://www.the510realm.com. I have posted a few dimensions on there recently.

ok, finally found some pics.

BG

BG

BG

Pics will be mostly for reference as the dimensions change depending on how u mount the engine. I just moved the stock 510 motormounts down one hole on the stock mounting location and the motor when right in. I fabbed a pickup tube using some round tubing and the screen section from a corvette. Been running it for quite a while and it worked out great! Ill try to find a pick of the pickup tube.

Edited by ace0073
Thumbnails were too small.