purchase a 72 510 4 door ~ my 1st dime

420n620

I have watching this 510 down my street for the last 2 years and decided it was time to see if it was up for sale so I found out where the person lived at last weekend which was just a block away, (she rents the house where the dime sits) she says she would be willing to sell and that it ran when she parked it back in 96. My neighbor and his nephew helped to bring it home, it's got 116,152 on the odometer, L16B, 210 head, automatic trans which later down the road will be swapped out and get a L20B w/ 5 speed from a 77 710 SW. It's got it's normal rust issues in the front fenders, right rear lower 1/4 panel and in the front of the rear tires down low on the body. The rockers, trunk, floor boards, doors, look very good with no signs of rust popping through.

Today, I'm going to pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and pull the valve cover off and pour some oil over the valve train and let it sit until tomorrow then I'll drop a battery in and crank the engine over until I get oil to the top side, good time to check compression also.

I'll update as this 510 gets ready to get back on the road, anyway on with the pic's.

as seen from the sidewalk V

IMG_2663.jpg

the glass plate helped save the interior.

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

thats it for now, time to go get some work done. hope you enjoy my 1st dime.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a sweet find you have there. those trucks are pretty nice as well. it looks like a yard full of cars. I hope your car will fire right up. Also don't forget to clean the tank being that its sat that long and I'm sure it had some gas in it as well. Good luck and hope to see the progress in that little car

Thanks for the good words and advise guys, once I get it started tomorrow, I'm going to start cleaning it up, like vacuum it out and wash the engine compartment, inside/outside of the car, then see if I can rub out the oxidation on the paint. I think I'm going to have to repaint it because theres small dents on the roof, trunk lid, drivers door, hood, the front fender are rusted bad so I'm going to look at the local JY to find better ones, if theres any dimes in the JY. lol

The wiring looks good and has not been cut up, just a few wires added, very easy fix.

dayton100 - the Datsun SW I got the motor/trans from is long gone. sorry

The gas tank will be removed and cleaned before I use it, I'm just going to run a gas line from a gas can to the full pump with a filter so I don't plug anything up in the carb. The previous owner told me that her x husband might have put rubberbands in the gas tank, thats why it has a plastic jug next to the firewall.

The car is mostly complete, just missing a few things, pocket stuff. :rolleyes:

I will be taken lots of pictures as the progress continues and I know we all love pic's. :D

this is going to be one of the coolest 510's in the area, not much competition so thats going to be an easy task. more to come tomorrow. peace

yeah, the brown one has a auto trans, the other is a 5 speed but is missing the rearend. if you or anyone is interested in either one or both, let me know and I'll see if she is wanting to sell them.

nothing to expensive, just get it running 1st then check into the brake system, which still work after all the years it has been sitting.

Make sure all the wiring is in good condition and make sure all the lights, gauges are fuctioning. Get the dents pulled out, repair rust issues. Look for parts needed. But over all just make it look good, inside and out, like it use to in 72 or as close as I can get it to be. Lower it 2 or 3 inches, new shocks, differant wheels/tires. I know of a guy that has 2 200 SX's, I might contact him and see if he will sell me the wheels. Here are a couple of pic's of the wheels, what one do you guys/gals think would look the best or if neither. Let me know.

IMG_1855.jpg

or

IMG_1864-1.jpg

I just found this pic and seen a 510 w/ these here on the form, I think their Toyota wheels.

IMG_1626.jpg

When I was checking to see if the gas door key still worked, a yellowjacket flew out, scared the :poop: out of me. lol

well, it getting warm out and almost time to get working on it. Update is in order, hope to get it up and running today, finger's are crossed.

Edited by 420n620
Toyota wheel pic added

well, I didn't do to much this last weekend, just pulled the valve cover and pour some oil over the cam and rockers. I was surprised to find it pretty clean inside, no oil sludge.

IMG_2776.jpg

then tried cranking it over but no go, so I pulled and tore apart the starter and cleaned all the contacts and checked the bushing, all looked good. sorry no picture's, hands were to dirty. Tested the starter before reinstalling, it works like a champ, after installing it, I tried cranking it over and still no go. Time to clean and check all the wire connections today.

Also I decided to pull the carb because the fast idle cam was just dangling from the linkage, found out there was only 2 nuts supporting it on the intake plus someone put a ball point pin to keep open the primary chock. :lol:

IMG_2777.jpg

When I pulled the carb, I found a dead spider and web nest on the lower butterfly valve and one down in the intake, I suppose someone will ask for a pic or it didn't happening..

I printed off a 72 510 wiring diagram but I'm not sure what this relay is for. It's mounted on the right inner fender well.

IMG_2797.jpg

and what is this and where does this go, I can't find any holes for where it was mounted.

IMG_2799.jpg

plus this, does it even plug into anything ?

IMG_2801.jpg

sorry for the questions, I don't have much info on the 510's and I have been searching around. Time to get back on the dime for now. Thanks

yeah, its cool to wake a car up from hibernation....I think the relay that is exposed is for the high beams or low beams, not sure which one's which. The other one, no idea.

Does the crank turns? I can't remember to read about that above.

Nice find....

thanks, I think so to. :)

I am enjoying your progress here! Like a little treasure. It is REALLY clean under that valve cover!!

I was surprised to find it that clean with over 100,000, maybe the head has been worked on at one time, I'll have to talk to PO and see if she can remember.

I enjoy reading about your 59, that 59 is in good condition for it's age. Waiting to hear it run.

I'm getting excited by looking at what your doing to your dime. Its nothing like resurrecting something that has been sitting for a while. Good luck and hope to hear that you got it fired up

Thanks, didn't get it fired up yet, when I turned the key, all it did was click at the starter, still cleaning all the connectors. got the fuse block soaking in some lemon juice, I'll be installing it today, fingers are still crossed.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you manage to get the car for

And I'd also like to know what plugs into the last picture as mines unpluged to.

I payed 500.oo, so far I'm happy with that.

That unused connector, I'm tring to contact a few local 510 owners and see if theirs is connected to anything.

yeah, its cool to wake a car up from hibernation....I think the relay that is exposed is for the high beams or low beams, not sure which one's which. The other one, no idea.

Does the crank turns? I can't remember to read about that above.

I rotated the engine over 3 times with a wrench, feels good and smooth.

The picture with the 2 cut wires, I noticed that the wires have been bent over and tape into the harness, kind of looks like thats the way it's suppose to be, but I'll find a wiring diagram to make sure thats the way it's suppose to be.

w

and what is this and where does this go, I can't find any holes for where it was mounted.

IMG_2799.jpg

plus this, does it even plug into anything ?

IMG_2801.jpg

sorry for the questions, I don't have much info on the 510's and I have been searching around. Time to get back on the dime for now. Thanks

That relay mounts on one of the bolt of radiator.

That switch is for the throttle position switch.

Your car will still run without it.

I'll check on that relay by the fender with cut wires.