is there such thing as a budget sr20 swap?

inline4

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

their is, but eveyone seems to quote some outstandingly large quote figures for engine swaps, assume, the price of the motor, complete timing belt kit, exhaust, motor mounts, if you dont have the tools or friends to make your own, trans mount, driveshaft and maybe a couple sensors or two for the motor. This is assuming nothing is wrong with the motor and EFI setup.

Certainly there's a budget swap. Just need a bigger budget.

(helps to know what the budget IS. What is reasonable to some is unattainable by others, and it all depends on the skill set of the person wanting the swap)

budget meaning if I ever decided to pull my KA, how much would things cost?

keep the ka dude there is no replacement for displacment i dont care what anyone says that still holds true not to mention you already have it in there if you need more power turbo it or s/c it or just build it to be a bitchin NA motor

keep the ka dude there is no replacement for displacment i dont care what anyone says that still holds true not to mention you already have it in there if you need more power turbo it or s/c it or just build it to be a bitchin NA motor

I agree 100%, I mean if anything pick up a ka to build a ka-t, then just drop it in and pee on all the sr drivers that paid 5x more. :D

KA-T KA-T, at nicks you said you were more than happy N/A. What changed? Im ordering all my -T parts pretty quick here. Should be installed and booting/dyno'd by nov.

riding in an sr20 powered car...

I was like hoooooly shit :o

I am happy with the ka, but I'm saying if I ever decide to pull it out...

what the costs would be to put in an sr20....

riding in an sr20 powered car...

I was like hoooooly shit :o

I am happy with the ka, but I'm saying if I ever decide to pull it out...

what the costs would be to put in an sr20....

Was the SR stock? or upgraded turbo?

I vote for keep the KA (more bottom end power) and Turbo it.

the question you need to ask yourself if whats the cost to turbo your Ka?

like i said the ka has almost a half a liter more displacement the only thing that makes the sr better is its forced induction turbo the ka you could probibly do that for about $1000 (obviously depending on what turbo and shit) also not to mention the parts supply for the ka is a whole lot better here in the states then an sr for these reasons i ruled out an sr a long time ago if you want to really go fast look into the vg30dett swap and really blow the sr guys out of the water

like i said the ka has almost a half a liter more displacement the only thing that makes the sr better is its forced induction turbo the ka you could probibly do that for about $1000 (obviously depending on what turbo and shit) also not to mention the parts supply for the ka is a whole lot better here in the states then an sr for these reasons i ruled out an sr a long time ago if you want to really go fast look into the vg30dett swap and really blow the sr guys out of the water

lol, you would probably end up spending as much getting that motor ready for a swap, then you did buying it from the importer!

i have no clue.

okay, so lets say I have a block that needs to be rebuilt.

whats the parts list and approx cost gonna look like?

say roughly $250 for block machine work, $100-200 to have the crank balanced and cleaned up, probably looking at $100 or so for a new oil pump, about $120 for rings, figure $70 for a good set of bearings, $100 or so for a complete gasket set, $200 give or take from a timing belt and tensioners, probably $100 to machine the head.

There is a bad ass kit for 1600$ for the ka. It comes with all kinds of nice parts, rods pistons everything basically. I'll see if I can find the bookmark..

If someone did an SR swap for under 5k I would be impressed. Well if it looked decent. I've seen a few that could have costed less...... The money just goes FAST! SR from reputable shop 2300$ + BAM half your under 5k budget is basically gone!

say roughly $250 for block machine work, $100-200 to have the crank balanced and cleaned up, probably looking at $100 or so for a new oil pump, about $120 for rings, figure $70 for a good set of bearings, $100 or so for a complete gasket set, $200 give or take from a timing belt and tensioners, probably $100 to machine the head.

dont forget about all the money spent getting busted bolts out then taping them

Budget swaps can be done, but it all depends on how much you can fabricate yourself. So if you have the skillz and equipment, you can easily shave 40-50% off the price of any swap. The engine combo is probably only half your investment. It's the mounts, manifolds, harnesses, and all that other extra crap that will quickly double the price.

I too would turbo your KA before I swapped in an SR. Since you already have the KA in there, all the hard stuff is already done. I have also driven an SR20DET running 16lbs of boost, and it is hella fast.......and even then I would still turbo your KA first.

Fuck what everyone says. Do what you want. Go take a ride in a kat 510. I sold my sr in favor of some day boosting my kae. And like its been said before. There is no low budget swap. Shit always adds up.

Since you've got the KA in there, it's nice to be able to build another one, reuse the harness, and not have to worry about anything else. KA-T.org has a nice writeup of different "budgets" of KA-T builds. You're looking at ABOUT 1,000 for a turbo kit that will work for the 510. Give or take, depending on the deals you find/make.

The SR does have some advantages, though. It's fully balanced, where the KA is not. This lets it rev higher and take more advantage of a turbo. Also, since it's already got FI, it's very easy to just slap on a new turbo, tweak one or two things and roll with it.

The SR, though, will cost you a bit more than the KA swap. Another thing to keep in mind is that all imported SR's coming over are going to be old motors that have been abused in their lives. I'd almost always suggest a rebuild/refresh for the motor. The KA's aren't as abused, since they've been getting replaced for the past few years with the SR's.

Go KA-T. You'll be able to shit on SR's left and right. Plus, they sound meaner. Always a plus.

The SR, though, will cost you a bit more than the KA swap. Another thing to keep in mind is that all imported SR's coming over are going to be old motors that have been abused in their lives. I'd almost always suggest a rebuild/refresh for the motor. The KA's aren't as abused, since they've been getting replaced for the past few years with the SR's.

Go KA-T. You'll be able to shit on SR's left and right. Plus, they sound meaner. Always a plus.

when you say shit on sr's how built will the ka have to be? and speaking of balancing, what about the crower crankshaft?