weber primary/secondary jets

sdsurf

What size jets do you run for primary and secondary on a weber 32/36 DGEV? Stock L20b rebuilt .040 over. U67 head, stock cam. I ask because it has 140s for both primary and secondary which makes absolutely no sense when the barrels are different sizes. Also it bogs when I punch it and the secondarys kick in, but if I hold the choke closed and punch it, it is smooth!

Edited by sdsurf
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember what mine have... but they always were matched. Same size, primary and secondary. My 38DGAS had the same size jets as most of my 32/36s.

I've never seen a DGV that DIDN'T bog when you "punched" it. They always work better when you roll in the throttle. Not enough accelerator pump output to punch it, and at idle or at throttle levels below that which opens the secondary, the secondary is "dry" and you've gone excessively lean. When the choke is closed, it can't get lean enough to do that.

What size jets do you run for primary and secondary on a weber 32/36 DGEV? Stock L20b rebuilt .040 over. U67 head, stock cam. I ask because it has 140s for both primary and secondary which makes absolutely no sense when the barrels are different sizes. Also it bogs when I punch it and the secondarys kick in, but if I hold the choke closed and punch it, it is smooth!

if your holding the choke closed then secondary your jet is too bigg, try downsizing a couple of jets on the secondary and see what you get, or just buy a jet kit and try several different combos,

I just got done tuning my car not to long ago. However it was on my BMW 2002. I had a similar issue when punching the throttle. Here's what i did, I first took the carb apart and sprayed everything down with carb cleaner. Well, thats just because I had a dirty tank and some parts got clogged. But it always helps if the carb is old or used.

Also check for any vacuum leaks. I found that even the tiniest leak made a big difference in idle and throttle. Next check your lean/rich adjustment and make sure that is correct.

Check the color of your spark plugs so you can see if its running lean or rich.

Your car could also be bogging if your timing is off.

Do you have vacuum advance distributor and where do you have the vacuum advance attached to? It should be hooked up to the vaccum line on the carb itself. I believe its the bigger of the 2 tubes right below the electric choke.

Your car is running off the idle circuit until about 2800-3000rpm, so i don't think any hesitation off the back will be due to the main circuit. Main circuit kicks in after 3000rpm'ish. Hope this helps. After i adjusted everything, I get no bog at all. Runs great!

I've never seen a DGV that DIDN'T bog when you "punched" it. They always work better when you roll in the throttle. Not enough accelerator pump output to punch it, and at idle or at throttle levels below that which opens the secondary, the secondary is "dry" and you've gone excessively lean. When the choke is closed, it can't get lean enough to do that.

ive noticed this ive also noticed if you have good pedal control you can feel where the secondaries open and kind of counteract the bog

now i have also noticed it looks like the accel pump can be mounted on eather side is this true? if so can you run a second one and set it up to work when the secondary opens? im just thinking out loud and didnt mean to thread jack but seemed like some good info / a question

Bump_ waiting for the goods....:D I know someone has tuned an L20, and

knows which jets they used.

I found a place here that will put it on the dyno for $150/hr and get the A/F ratio and dial the jets from there... but I'm not rich!

Heehee, orr.... you all can send me $5 eaches and I'll go get the precious info and desperse it to all of you!

oooh i am going to check that too.

Ben, when I was following you the other day I noticed a lot of smoke in your exhaust - too rich?

:D yip! that's why the great quest for the proper jets!!!

I don't have to smell it much, but those behind sure do!

(think- "uncle buck")

:D yip! that's why the great quest for the proper jets!!!

I don't have to smell it much, but those behind sure do!

(think- "uncle buck")

if your uncle buck i wanna be uncle roman in the flat bottom drag boat.....

hey mine is way to rich it surges at highway speed leaves a black soot mark where it idles and th eoil smells gassy.....where are those jet recomendations for my 32/36

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was running way too lean, so instaed of getting a larger jet , my mechanic flip plopped the jets and it fixed the problem, but now it is running way to rich. It seems to be getting way too much gas. It is running great, but I am going through a ton of gasonline now. Before I was getting around 20-22 miles per gallon , now it seems to be getting maybe 10 in the city. It is really bad. I can actaully smell the gas. Probally becuase it is not being burnt.

I also took the top off of the card the other day to clean it and I noticed that their was only one butterfly on the double barrell. Isn't there supposed to be a butterfly on each barrel ? I wonder if it was taken off or maybe fell of somehow ?

I was going to go with a bigger jet but my mechanic was being lazy and did the switch. I am going to fix it properly now, but my question is about the possibly missing butterfly.

Mine was running way too lean, so instaed of getting a larger jet , my mechanic flip plopped the jets and it fixed the problem, but now it is running way to rich. It seems to be getting way too much gas. It is running great, but I am going through a ton of gasonline now. Before I was getting around 20-22 miles per gallon , now it seems to be getting maybe 10 in the city. It is really bad. I can actaully smell the gas. Probally becuase it is not being burnt.

I also took the top off of the card the other day to clean it and I noticed that their was only one butterfly on the double barrell. Isn't there supposed to be a butterfly on each barrel ? I wonder if it was taken off or maybe fell of somehow ?

I was going to go with a bigger jet but my mechanic was being lazy and did the switch. I am going to fix it properly now, but my question is about the possibly missing butterfly.

on the downdraft weber's there are 2 butterflies. 2 main ones, and two more on top which go to the choke. Unless those were taken off as well.