First post here

crabbyone

Decided to make my presence known after scoping out the forum for the past few days. Been lurking around some other forums for the past few years, decided to become a bit more visible.

Bought my first Datsun, a 1966 520, in 1969. Since then I have usually had a Toyota or Datsun pickup as a daily driver. The Datsuns have included the original 66 520, a 67 520 that I installed a Buick v-6 and 4 spd in, a 70 521 with an L-18, and my current 67 520. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I installed an LZ20S and dogleg 5 spd from an 81 510 in it 4(?) years ago. Kept the stock 4.88 rear. Running 205/75R-14 on stock rims front, 215/75R-15 on reversed 720 4wd rims rear. Krylon semigloss black and red wheels.

Still a work in progress, aren't they all? However further modifactions (improvements) are looming. I have 2, yes 2, complete 720 rolling chassis available for free. One comes complete with engine and transmission, heven't checked the engine to see what it is yet, but the price is good. So I will be putting my cab and bed on a more modern chassis with disc brakes. Probably do some trading with the other frame.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one become a member of the Japanese Trucking Association? :) I was also wondering what the "s" stands for at the end of LZ20S? You should post some pictures of your rigs. I bet you are wishing you where still invisible :)

How does one become a member of the Japanese Trucking Association? :) I was also wondering what the "s" stands for at the end of LZ20S? You should post some pictures of your rigs. I bet you are wishing you where still invisible :)

afik: The Z20 NAPS motor came in two flavors, Z20E and Z20S The Z20E had 152.5mm rods, the Z20S had an estimated 148.6 rod length with corresponding taller pistons to suit the 86mm stroke. The E came in the Canadian '80-'81 1/2 200sx cars. Maybe the S is for shorter rod? lol

afik: The Z20 NAPS motor came in two flavors, Z20E and Z20S The Z20E had 152.5mm rods, the Z20S had an estimated 148.6 rod length with corresponding taller pistons to suit the 86mm stroke. The E came in the Canadian '80-'81 1/2 200sx cars. Maybe the S is for shorter rod? lol

Thanks Mike :D

LZ20S is what is stamped on the block pulled from the 510, Had WA plates and a criminal background. The car had been used in several convenience store robberies and had been impounded after a multi county police chase. As far as I know, the engine is a registered speed offender.

The Japanese Trucking Association is very low key. Just have to drive a Japanese pickup, occasionally. No membership list, no officers, no dues, no standards to adhere to.

Depends on the L-series engine. The early L20B's (75 through '79) used larger crank journals. The Z20 engine used the smaller type, but so did the late 79-80 L20Bs (they are simply a Z20S casting). The NAPS-Z crank journals are the same size as the L16 and L18.

Z20S stands for carbeurated. Nissan used 3 engine codes in the 80s to distinguish the fuel delivery- "S" (or nothing) stood for Carbeurated, "E" for port injection, and "i" for throttle-body injection.

'Aholic, any way to be sure of mains sizes? We had this discussion before when I said they were different in those years and you said (I think) that you had used L16 or L18 bearings on an L20B and they were the same, so I said that's what my manual says, and you checked and said, that's funny, mine does too, anyway we left it thinking the manual was wrong. I have an L20B with the intake/exhaust bolted together (stovepipe?) and it has the same mains as the L16/L18 engine. Are the bearing part numbers the same I wonder?

• 3 months later...

Actually, I cut the welds on the center section, and after grinding the rest of the welds smooth, pressed the center back to about 3-1/2" from the inside face of the rim. Then after making sure the hub surface was very square with the rim (runout), I bribed a co-worker to weld 'em in. They balanced out very well. I could have gotten by with a 6 lug Chevy pickup rim, but the 720 rims were free. This setup gives me an inch or so tire to chassis/bed clearance and keeps all tucked in under the bed. The stock rear axle is narrower than a 720, so I had some serious clearance problems.

Running 225/75R x 15 on the rear. Helps with the Cruising rpm's at freeway speeds- roughly 3500 running with the semi's. And yes, she is definitely sitting tail high. But isn't that the name of the game? RATSUNS rule.

Used after the engine size in liters

E= EFI

i=throttle body injection

T= turbo

TT= twin turbo

R= supercharged

V= vabiable valve timing (with lift)

D= DOHC, variable valve timing, or direct injection

A= 6cyl

B= 4cyl To distinguish between similar displacement and series motors.

Then there's the A12a, not to be mistaken with the A12. Both are similar A series engines with approx. 1200cc displacement, but different bore and modified casting (the A12a is closer to an A14/A15 externally than an A12/A13, though it uses the short deck)

The only block to ever have the "S" designation etched in the serial plate was the Z20S- this was to differentiate the Z20E and Z20S blocks, which were NOT the same even though externally and mechanically they were 100% compatible. The Z20S used "siamesed" cylinder walls and was stronger, the Z20E was basically a slightly modified L20B block. All Z22 blocks were the same, E or S, so the designation wasn't made on the block, but it was noted on the emissions label.

So these codes really depend on the year. The "S" code may mean "Siamesed" yet for aDatsun B310 the serial plate says "A15(S)" or "A12A(S)". Maybe the parentheses make a difference.

12225.jpg

wiki

more information on the -T suffix. when directly following the engine model it usually means Twin carb (a rare thing...). If it follows E or DE it means Turbo. Again this will depend on the year, as Nissan changed the codes every once in a while.

The A12A uses the same crankshaft and rods of the A12, but is slightly overbored (and with aforementioned A14-style engine mount bosses). It was in Datsun B310s, circa 1979-1982 and is highly desired for racers due to it's strong block.

Anyone know the difference between the A12 engine and the 12A engine?