Project "Against the grain" turbo720 build

nis720

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm was that something a good something or a bad something?

This happened.... :angry:

IMG_0331a.jpg

One of the bolts came off the wastegate and the gasket shifted, causing a large leak in the exhaust and damage to the gasket.

IMG_0340a.jpg

Sucks that I can't drive my truck till I get the new gaskets, but at least I can up the boost now. B)

IMG_0341a.jpg

Damn ebay guy is giving me the run around and still no gasket, been waiting since Dec 27th. Found summit has the gasket as well and ordered last thursday and it's already here.

I also ordered some more goodies for my truck and got the waste gate installed today (not a fun task). Went for gas and it feels like a whole new truck.

That sux that the gasket f'd up. Its gonna be fun on 12psi.

Clutch is the main limiting factor. To add to it the headgasket might be going out as well.

Right now I'm looking to replace the headgasket before it goes out completely.

I'm also having the head rebuilt (new seals and upgraded springs) and maybe ARP head studs. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to do a full rebuild on the motor with a few upgrades.

Here's what the radiator water looks like after a few minutes of having the engine running.

IMG_0021a.jpg

Here's the spark plugs. The far right one is Cyl #1 and has some oil on the threads.

IMG_0041a.jpg

As of right now it seems ARP head studs for sure (waiting for them to come in) and forged pistons. I also need to address the clutch. I was trying to calculate the cost involved, $$$ is my biggest limiting factor right now. Looks like rain this weekend so I will not be able to pull the motor yet.

Also looking for an engine stand... anyone have one I can borrow?

No actual progress on the truck. Weather hasn't been cooperating. Sunday I had to work on friends car (only nice day all week). Had to change the fender and door... close encounder with a guardrail a while back.

The good side.

IMG_0087a.jpg

The bad side.

IMG_0083a.jpg

iforge 19" wheels... possibly going on the 720 when he sells the Z32.

IMG_0074a.jpg

IMG_0076a.jpg

OooooOooOOO! NICE! So you can use the Z caliper on the hardbody hub? Or its a big mod?

Also the 5 lug.... Daumn! You really going to run Mustangs?

They bolt on but you need 11.5" rotors, stock is abit under 10". Even the toyota rotors on the 5 lug hubs are under 10" so stock brakes will work. At least till I figure out a cheaper alternative for rotors, in the meantime the Z32 calipers will get powdercoated.

I like the Torq Thrust wheels and the Bullit wheels are the cheaper alternative. But I might have to sell them to pay for the motor rebuild. :(

My other option is the 19"s on my friends car, but he's not sure if he wants to sell them yet.

IMG_0076a.jpg