Project "Against the grain" turbo720 build

nis720

Classy ratsun stuff right there.

For posterity I was a plumber for a while, my pops owns a company. They make test caps with a schrader valve built in to test.

Your way is cool and works well I'm sure, just saying a cap with the valve eliminates a step to the process.

I was looking for that.... but Home Depot doesn't carry them (or maybe I just didn't look in the right place).

good idea, i need to make one for my setup as well. Once i get it all together that is.

For the o2 sensor, is it only the wideband that should be placed up at an angle so the condensation doesn't mess it up?

That's the O2 sensor for the ECU, we did this cause we didn't want to remove the downpipe. The Wideband sensor is past the downpipe collector. I plan on having another Downpipe made and have the O2 bung welded at the top.

IMG_0336a.jpg

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the truck feel at 7psi? Every car I have turboed it's night and day difference.

Classy ratsun stuff right there.

For posterity I was a plumber for a while, my pops owns a company. They make test caps with a schrader valve built in to test.

Your way is cool and works well I'm sure, just saying a cap with the valve eliminates a step to the process.

I built one using a 15lb gauge we used when I was a gas piper. It's nice to know how much pressure is in the system.

How does the truck feel at 7psi? Every car I have turboed it's night and day difference.

Even untuned it feels nice and strong. On the FWY it picks up way better. This weekend I was able to get up to 120 with ease. I have to say it is fun to drive and mess with Camaro's :lol:

• Like 1

This weekend my camera was stolen :mad: future updates will come from my phone.

I suspect the upper plenum leak was causing my low throttle miss. Seems like the weld did not hold very well.

IMG_2153a.jpg

After installing my spare upper plenum I tested for more leaks. I just cut off the tubes this time and left the plenum alone.

IMG_0257.jpg

I also found the circuit cap on the MAF is leaking as well (very little but still significant). I took it apart and will be looking for a stronger epoxy to hold under pressure.

IMG_0259.jpg

I got the MAFS fixed using Window Weld (seems to hold up... and a pain to get off your hands). I also used it on the BOV and it worked.

IMG_0265.jpg

After putting it back together I did more pressure testing.... found the Throttle body shaft leaks abit at higher pressure. I test drove it and still no boost. :cry:

After much frustration I started to suspect the Wastegate. I used compressor air thru the feed line and could hear the valve opening and closing. I put it back together and the problem was solved... I now have boost once again. :D

I'm concerned about the Wastegate sticking, how do I prevent this from happening again?

did you buy your tial wastegate off ebay or from a reputable company? There are some pretty good looking knockoffs out there. If it's a genuine tial, it should be pretty reliable.

check out the fakes, even got the "tial" name stamped on them.

http://www.tialsport.com/realvsfake.html

Thanks for the link... I think I got the real thing. Here's what mine looks like, it has the serial number on top and the TiAl logo on the housing.

IMG_0448a.jpg

IMG_0479a.jpg

I think I might up the boost to 12psi (stiffer spring).

I drove the truck last night quite a bit... and it's working flawless now. I even drove it to work today..... love the feeling.

But now I have another problem........ I can't get traction in 1st and 2nd gear. :eek:

glad to hear! Did you up the boost yet or is that at 7?

glad to hear! Did you up the boost yet or is that at 7?

That's at 7psi... can't imagine what 12psi will do :eek:

So right now I can't get traction in 1st and 2nd and the clutch slips in 3rd and 4th.... but only when I romp on it.... mild driving I'm OK.

I'm trying to keep it together for JCCS (as a spectator only).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looks good! What clutch are you running?

It's still the stock clutch that came with the motor. I want to get a 280ZX clutch since I already have the truck flywheel on there.

Yesterday i picked up the clutch slave cylinder for an 85 Nissan truck (since I'm still running the original truck tranny). But the bleeder screw is on the bottom instead. I'm also picking up a 240sx slave cylinder for comparison.

IMG_0027a.jpg

did the d21 flywheel bolt right up on the kae? I know the de's have a notch you gotta cut out of the crank. I was looking into the d21 flywheels and clutch. I hear they can handle some good torque numbers (like 300 or so). And you can pick them up for like 200 at the parts store.

man there are enough KA-T guys in Socal to start katsun! Ill make some stickers.

I love the truck man friggan great. What do you think its putting out at the wheels?

any plans to get traction? 16x10 CCW's with toyo proxies could help. and would look amazingly at home on your truck.

did the d21 flywheel bolt right up on the kae? I know the de's have a notch you gotta cut out of the crank. I was looking into the d21 flywheels and clutch. I hear they can handle some good torque numbers (like 300 or so). And you can pick them up for like 200 at the parts store.

The actual block and flywheel are from a D21. Only the intake, pulleys and wiring came from a 240sx. The infamous "White Bunny Special" because of the larger contact surface. The 240sx has 225mm stock, and the D21 has 240mm.

man there are enough KA-T guys in Socal to start katsun! Ill make some stickers.

I love the truck man friggan great. What do you think its putting out at the wheels?

any plans to get traction? 16x10 CCW's with toyo proxies could help. and would look amazingly at home on your truck.

For traction I'm looking into a Ford 9" or 8.8 shortened to tuck 20x10 or 20x9 wheels. But $$$ is a big obstacle at this time.

Update time.. I've been sick for the past few days and no work has gotten done. Today I felt alittle better so I decided to work on the truck. Now I wish I wouldn't have... seems the truck was fighting the whole way, rough night to say the least. Felt like nothing was going as planned, from looking for tools to fitting stuff.

Here's the pic of the stock clutch slave cylinder. The line rubs abit on the oil pan.

IMG_0042a.jpg

Clutch Dampener out.

IMG_0045a.jpg

SS clutch line bracket is gone as well.

IMG_0022a.jpg

new line started.

IMG_0044a.jpg

IMG_0046a.jpg