JB Weld??

atkinson40

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no,no,no and fuck no. JB and other such shit is good for small unimportant stuff. When it comes to the cooling system replace the bad part.

+1 replace it or you will regret it later

The Thermostat housing on my 620 is corroded and has a hole in it where the hose connects. Can I repair this with JB weld?? Will it hold up to the heat? Thanks kevin

Is it one of those housings with the sensor inlet intergrated on the side?

Those aren't always easy to find. Some early 620's had 'em, some didn't.

If it is...please tell me if you find a source to get a new one.

find athe correct housing as they are differnt types.

I have fixed a upper stat housing with JB weld nut it wasnt my car. it held while it was warming up but never sayw the car again. get a photo and post what type of lower housing it is. when getting a new one its best to get the 16mm hex rring for the temp sender(new one)

anything around the water pump area that could get wet I use anti seize as its also prevent rust

I tried filling holes in the alloy thermostat housing of my 4x4 Toyota - with epoxy resin type filler. It only lasted about 150 miles - and I've probably got pieces of filler floating around in the coolant now. I took the housing to my machinist friend - tried to weld in the holes. Didn't work either. Gave up and ordered a new housing from Japan....

A rugged temporary fix is to get a piece of inch and a half aluminum conduit, wire brush the hell out of the inside of the thermostat housing, apply aviation form-a-gasket to the end of the conduit and hammer it into the housing. Cut to correct length and apply JB Weld for cosmetics to the visible corrosion holes. Pack JB Weld into any space between the end of the housing and the conduit.

If you have a cast iron housing, if such exists, use thin wall steel tubing.

Copper water pipe can be used in an extreme emergency, but electrolytic corrosion will start right away. It will however get you home and then some.

Best advice, start looking for a real replacement, above stop gaps will give you time to find the right part.

JB weld is only a structural adhesive if it is kept under 500 degrees F. I don't know which one of you guys is running a thermostat at 500 degrees, but I'd like to see that. JB weld is a decent structural adhesive for dry areas with tension being the main force. I've seen a bunch of JB welds fail in shear stress situations. Since the thermostat sees lots of vibrations and both shear and tension forces, not to mention lots of water flow, I feel the JB weld would be only a very temporary fix. Replacing the water neck would be best in this situation.

my mother n law works for nissan and my housing broke . She checked with nissan and they still had a couple floating around and ebay always has one listed it is $51

I just had a friend of mine heliarc weld mine I spelled that wrong but you get the idea

Edited by slam_dat_sun
added to it

May be irrelevant to the discussion, but I had a pinhole corrosion leak in the gas tank of my '72 Blazer...took a sheet metal screw, fender washer, and some JB Weld... has stopped the leak for nearly ten years now. Great stuff in the right situation. Thermostat housing under pressure...maybe notsomuch.

funny you guys are talkin about jb weld.

i too am guilty of using it in a odd application... lol

so when i put the exhaust manifold on the truck, to get it to work correctly, i had to grind some material off the manifold where it meets the intake. the problem was the intake was for an early intake. so when i ground that material off the manifold, i got a thinspot. so when i got a mile or two on the manifold, that thin spot burned up and now i have hole in the exhaust manifold.

so what would you do?

well i can tell ya what i did!! mix up some good ol' jb weld and slather it around that hole on the manifold! haha if you out it on when the manifold it just barley warm, it sets up and like 5 minutes. and then you good to go! the only thing thats bad about it is when you get that cured jb weld hot, it gets a nasty stink lol. and it will burn up in about 2 months too. it just turns into power and falls off.

anyways though,

i would try and source a replacement part. the cooling system on these engines is a vital part of what makes these vehicles reliable. if you run it out of water youll toast the head.

Yes,JB weld can be good sometimes. I used to swear by it as well as the putty stick for radiator leaks. I also have some banana heads because of that logic. Think about what kind of driving you do. Highway?you never know when theres a wreck and you idle for an hour in traffic with a coolant leak. Of course then you could always park it and walk to get some water. With all things do it right or at least make sure a temporary job is done as good as posssible and remember to fix it right asap! Nothin like driving worry free.:D

Edited by datsunfish

i broke a 1"x1" chunk off my thermostat housing on my old toyota 22r intake... in desperation i made the entire side from JB weld, ground it smooth, tapped the threads and all..... held for 5 years till i totalled the truck.

get a photo and post what type of lower housing it is. when getting a new one its best to get the 16mm hex rring for the temp sender(new one)

Here's the lower one.

36.jpg

Here's the upper one.

37.jpg

I haven't tried finding them new yet so I don't know how hard it is. They both need replacing.

lower stat housing the one with temp sender is 11061-21000

stat neck that goes to upper rad hose 11060-21000

16mm hex nut to hold sender in 25251-37700

the photo of the lower intake to water pump area by #1 plug wire. there is usually a metal water line going to the intake. there is a 90 rubber pc. your shows it bent which could kink the rubber hose. the preform nissan hose is A4056-32001 or just make soemthing work.

go to nissanparts.cc and enter part #s in blank in corner. or go to ur local rip off dealer. or try elsewhere. Junkyard