1973 Vtech Mini(son's)

Since I listed my son's Vtech mini is listed in my vehicles, I was asked to post some pics. All of the hard stuff is done my son is just waiting on saving about $1200 to get this project to the driving stage.

My son with his car before we shot it matte black. Not rattle can.

KEmini006.jpg

KEmini007.jpg

The day we started dismantling

MiniBuild001.jpg

MiniBuild002.jpg

Entire front end must come off to make room for new front subframe and flip up hood.

MiniBuild019.jpg

MiniBuild020.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mini's sheet metal is even thinner than a Datsun's.:fu:

So we will be making custom floor pans out of 3/8 steel sheets.

We went massive with 3/8ths because the floor pans are one of the mounting points for the subframe. It will also add evenly distributed weight to the front, to assist with the tires hooking up. All totalled they added about 90 pounds to the front end.

[MiniBuild011.jpg

MiniBuild010.jpg

Making templets for floor pans.

MiniBuild013.jpg

MiniBuild014.jpg

MiniBuild012.jpg

Relief cuts to the backs of floor plans to assist with bending. Once I got the pans bent up I back welded the relief cuts.

MiniBuild015.jpg

MiniBuild016.jpg

Various shapes needed for floor pans and fire wall. A little Old English 800 as well.

MiniBuild042.jpg

MiniBuild041.jpg

Floor pans in place held in with 3/8ths grade eight bolts with 3/8ths steel backers.

MiniBuild046.jpg

This is the mounting point for the flip up hood. It must be reinforced or the flip up hood will be wobbely like a buddy of mine's.

MiniBuild031.jpg

After reinforcing. Plus they will act as upper torque boxes for the B18 GSR motor. It is just tacked in this picture. they have since been completely welded and grinded.

MiniBuild030.jpg

Front sobframe mocked up.

MiniBuild044.jpg

MiniBuild045.jpg

MiniBuild048.jpg

MiniBuild050.jpg

MiniBuild051.jpg

With the flip up hood on it.

MiniBuild052.jpg

MiniBuild053.jpg

All of the hard stuff is done and my son has bought most of the stuff. Needed to finish.

We still have to install and plumb master and slave cylinder. Bolt in steering rack ,spindels and axels. Motor and ECU.

Here is a pic of my bubbies Vtech mini.

MiniBuild022.jpg

Every time he shifts his whole subframe and front end shifts as well. That is why I went with huge floor pans.

More to come once time permits

Mk III, Nice. These cars are so fun. Looks like a fun project!

My Mk I may be going that route soon. Looking forward!

Some pics of the estate would be cool.:cool: I use have a 66 Mk I Cooper S. Man I wish I still had it. I remember selling it for a song.:confused:

As soon as I get back home I'll snap a few. I still have an origional 67 Cooper S Shell (correct Vin and all :) ) that I might tinker with, but I like the functionality of the Estate way more than the round nose. I will say that if my 1380 pisses me off anymore, I'll gut the floor and put a tube frame under it with a GTiR Nissan Pulsar motor...

May do that anyway.... Hmmm...

• 3 months later...

Any updates on the little monster?

BTW Here's my estate car. It used to be a woody, why I'm using custom (by my own design) window frames in the rear. I just glassed up the holes in the car so I can turn it back to a woody one day when I find good wood for it...

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

The Mini's sheet metal is even thinner than a Datsun's.:fu:

So we will be making custom floor pans out of 3/8 steel sheets.

We went massive with 3/8ths because the floor pans are one of the mounting points for the subframe. It will also add evenly distributed weight to the front, to assist with the tires hooking up. All totalled they added about 90 pounds to the front end.

[MiniBuild011.jpg

MiniBuild010.jpg

Making templets for floor pans.

MiniBuild013.jpg

MiniBuild014.jpg

MiniBuild012.jpg

Relief cuts to the backs of floor plans to assist with bending. Once I got the pans bent up I back welded the relief cuts.

MiniBuild015.jpg

MiniBuild016.jpg

Various shapes needed for floor pans and fire wall. A little Old English 800 as well.

MiniBuild042.jpg

MiniBuild041.jpg

Floor pans in place held in with 3/8ths grade eight bolts with 3/8ths steel backers.

MiniBuild046.jpg

Lol, pic #7, is that a 40oz of Ol' E my eye spies?

and good lord, how is he going to drive that thing.... does he fit in it? them be some small cars....

Any updates on the little monster?

My son is still saving money and gathering parts so he can get this project out of it's current stall.

Lol, pic #7, is that a 40oz of Ol' E my eye spies?

Eight Ball is a staple when working on car's

and good lord, how is he going to drive that thing.... does he fit in it? them be some small cars....

If you ever get a chance to get in a Mini you will be suprised on how roomy they can be :eek:. As well as mounting the seat back about 2 inches.

diggin the build also digging his shirt it appears he has good taste in music :D

Thanks for the compliment on the build. Yeah he has pretty good taste in music. Definitely a fellow head banger.