exhaust sounds

what muffler should i go with on my l20b  

1 member has voted

1. 1. what muffler should i go with on my l20b

• flowmaster
    • magnaflow
    • other(please specify)

This is good stuff man! I appreciate the good feedback on this subject.

I personally am running a Turbo muffler right now. The glass pack was way over the top for me...and it sounded just down right cheap.:D

I am missing something from my exhaust tone though...and maybe this was the reason behind the thread in the first place.

My exhaust sounds like it almost is cool...or almost sounds really good. It has gotten comments from folks and people say it sounds really good driving by...but I still want more.

I want it to make the braaaahpbraaahppahhpahhhhb sound when I decelerate...and maybe even backfire once or twice...just a bit..:D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm gonna vote magnaflow... that's what i run...

now yes... its not on an L series... but it sounds sick

i don't have any real soundclips for you though... only this vid of me autocrossing and the sound was not picked up well...........at all

its not technically a muffler though... its actually the round type stainless from magnaflow and the place i got it from labeled it as a resonator... so yes it is pretty loud with headers and no cat

anyway... here's the vid... just remember it wasn't picked up well by the camera... but it sounds ok with decent speakers

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Phlebmaster

Here is what I made when swapping out my exhaust system..it's an L26 but you will get an idea. :)

Here is the swap from start to finish...you will hear 3 different sounds. :) The muffler I have is a turbo muffler...I still have it on standby.

Edited by Phlebmaster

well its sitting at the exhuast shop now its gonna have 2 1/4 from the header back threw a magnaflow its gonna have a flange welded onto the header so i can take it apart if need be

now before people say that 2 1/4 is to big think about it the original exhaust was a almost 2 inches to begin with so its only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch bigger then stock

the best part is the exhaust shop i took it to the owner has a 280z in the back that is one of his projects :D

2 1/4 is just about right for an L-20b any mods will make that choice sound even better.

here is my wagon with 2 1/4 in header back no resonator ending with a Cherry bomb turbo and APC twin tip

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Phlebmaster

Denveratsun! ...if you WANT it to backfire, go under there and drill a 1/8" hole in the exhaust pipe shortly after the header merge section, this will introduce air into the exhaust and cause the unburned fuel to ignite...

most people DONT want this but, if thats what you want. :D

Edited by zuum510
phlebmaster.... if you WANT it to backfire, go under there and drill a 1/8" hole in the exhaust pipe shortly after the header merge section, this will introduce air into the exhaust and cause the unburned fuel to ignite...

Interesting....I did not know that. :D

I don't know why anyone would WANT backfiring, I don't either. ;)

phlebmaster.... if you WANT it to backfire, go under there and drill a 1/8" hole in the exhaust pipe shortly after the header merge section, this will introduce air into the exhaust and cause the unburned fuel to ignite...

Also keep in mind that this isn't backfiring. Backfiring is when your timing is off and you ignite the air fuel mixture with the intake valve still open and the flame front travels into the intake manifold.

Not sure what the official names is but in Auto school the college instructors called it "afterfire". My car does this when ever I decel in gear down from at least 3000 rpm and I love it. But if I just kick it into neutral it never does it.

I like to get up to 4K rpm and right when I'm passing a pedestrian I jump off the throttle and it's like fireworks passing them :D

I think you made a good choice Bonvo. I run a 2.5" dia with magnaflow on my street Z, sounds really good. People always ask if I'm runnin a V8.

On my race car I run 3" with a big ass supertrapp hanging off the end. It will make your ears bleed. :D

The wagon I run 1.75" with a no name turbo and a fishtail tip. I like it. :fu:

Not sure what the official names is but in Auto school the college instructors called it "afterfire". My car does this when ever I decel in gear down from at least 3000 rpm and I love it. But if I just kick it into neutral it never does it.

afterfire is a proper term... a lot of people refer to it as popping as well. the lack of backpressure causes it to happen more frequently because it allows more oxygen to get in there and ignite the unburned fuel.... its a little more technical than that but that's the basics