BBAAADDD IDEA, right price!

astro_ss_340

Well, I have become quite good friends with the local salvage yard owner and his son. He is in a wheelchair, has a 77 FORD shortbox step-side with a 429 running 14.3 at the drag strip. Well he keeps bugging me to put a smallblock into the Datsun, and I said I never would, because everyone always puts a smallblock chevy in all 1/4 ton trucks. Well he said, why don't you go against THE grain and YOUR grain at the same time and put a smallblock FORD in it. So he has basically talked me into it. He has a 1968 289 with 10.5:1 compression sitting in an old car thats been rebuilt and said I can have it for $250(with another good trans). I asked him why so cheap, and he just said, " I wanna see you at the dragstrip, and I wanna see that little truck kick the shit out of some nice new vehicles!" So I guess I am putting a 289 in my DATSUN LOL

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the 289 made 225horse from the factory with a tiny little cam and tiny little valves. put some good v4 302 heads on it with a 290duration .490in lift cam and a good 750cfm holley on it and your gonna make damn near 325horse. and you could do this with some stocker heads for the 302. get some aluminum heads with really big valves. stab a nice revvy cam it it and put a mustang 5 speed behind it!

You know, normally I'm completely against domestic V8s in Datsuns, but it's a Ford, so that makes me a little happier, and at least the distributor is in the right place! For $250, shit, go for it! :D

You know, normally I'm completely against domestic V8s in Datsuns, but it's a Ford, so that makes me a little happier, and at least the distributor is in the right place! For $250, shit, go for it! :D

buick engines have the distributor in the front too :fu::fu:

Ford 289 is commonly quoted at 450 pounds. It depends on whether you measure it with fluids or accessories or clutch.

In any case, a good 50 pounds lighter than a Chevrolet 283.

Said V6 is only 50 pounds lighter. For drag racing the weight don't matter. HP and Torque do. The V6 might equal peak HP but not average HP through the rev range. And not for $250 unless you got another buddy giving one away :)

Besides, it's not domestic, the 289 was made in Windsor, Canada -- a city farther south than Portland, Oregon :rolleyes:

Edited by ggzilla

well if you use the right v6 you get the best of both although parts cost a little more the 4.0l v6 out of a 90s explorer and a ranger 5speed according to the scale weight i only gained about 200-300lbs i think it was closer to 200

motors rated a 160hp and about 200ft-lbs cold air and a big single tail pipe seemed to wake the motor up and its fuel injected and has no distributor to worry about truck runs good just go to get the rear end happy so it will hold up very simple wiring also about 4-6 wires needed for powers and grounds

well if you use the right v6 you get the best of both although parts cost a little more the 4.0l v6 out of a 90s explorer and a ranger 5speed according to the scale weight i only gained about 200-300lbs i think it was closer to 200

motors rated a 160hp and about 200ft-lbs cold air and a big single tail pipe seemed to wake the motor up and its fuel injected and has no distributor to worry about truck runs good just go to get the rear end happy so it will hold up very simple wiring also about 4-6 wires needed for powers and grounds

It's not a choice debate though. There are a bunch of engine swaps that would be great. He has been offered said v8/trans for said ridiculously low price though lol.

ford small blocks are the lightest of the small blocks, dissy is in the front, and they are cheeeeeeep. go get the t-5 out of a late 90's comaro and get the ford bellhousing for it, and an 8.8 out of a loste 96 exploder. you get get em with 3.73 and disk breaks, and i think it is close to the same width ad the datto's. 12 second 620...

I am putting c-6 Trans behind it. Will be chopping alot of the firewall, plan to sit the engine as far back as possible.

Another good thing about a smallblock FORD is they are narrower than a chev or Dodge.

As for the rear end, I will use the stocker until it blows.

the only rear i found that was a straight bolt in with out shortening it was a

2wd s 10 and it hardly seemed worth it so i fixed the stocker and my whole set up ended up modular i did it that way on purpose so if i found a nicer 620

i could pretty much shave off some mounts drill a few holes and mount the v6 with only mild tunnel work