i just got BAR Reffed in my car!

mock it up for looks and manuel tune it with the readings you have seams like your running a tad to rich runa a good cat in the exhaust system and richen it up a tad see what it does there not gonna function test if it all appears to be there and it blows clean

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WagDatto/XeroX, since you both know Chris, maybe you can answer the tough question...what's the fine amount?

Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to go thru all of this adding smog or just suck it up and pay the fine?

Edited by 71DIMER

dude that sucks so much ass.. i got reffed also for exhaust.. was going in high second under a freeway overpass.. cop pulled me over a mile after.. had to get it changed.. went to the ref, and i supposably bearly passed..and yeah i asked about the motor swaps and stuff.. if u swap out the l series for a ka. or usdm motor.. that has smog equipment u need all of it on the car.. for the swap to be legal.. snd jdm swaps of course are illegal. even if u have smog parts on it..

WagDatto/XeroX, since you both know Chris, maybe you can answer the tough question...what's the fine amount?

Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to go thru all of this adding smog or just suck it up and pay the fine?

well the fine for the modified emissions is in the 400 dollar range, or at least was a year or so ago. ive hear now some people say 6-700

the exhaust ticket uncorrected full bail is 150 or so.

lol, just toss a BBC in it with a huge cam/carb, make it run so lean that it burns your eyes to the point where you cant physically stand anywhere near the car, run open header and toss in some ridiculously short gears. bam! problem solved. (Also make sure to get the "fuck you smog nazi's" license plate frame)

They are going to chase the cool right out of cali if they keep this bullshit up.

Newsflash-the "cool" was chased out 20 years ago.In 2000 Kalifornia DMV suspended the registration to my Cobra because they didn't like the way GEORGIA did their DMV paperwork back in 1996.:mad::blink:

AND they suspended my registration 2 years AFTER i registered it in Arizona.AND they even sent the suspension notice to my Tucson address.:blink:

FUCK that state.

yup, sell it. to someone close.. like a bro or sis? to get it off ur name.. the ticket gets dropped.. my friend did that with his sti

Thats a good call.

The way I see it, Best bet is to pay the fine and move on.. If you have the time and feel like throwing a wrench in the system keep filing for extensions telling them you work all the time and havent been able to get it fixed or looked at. Honestly the courts dont care that you have a modified swap as long as if you get busted with it you are willing to pony up some cash (believe me its going to be cheaper to pay than to go through the smog ref). I wouldnt invest a penny in adding smog crap to the car that is going to just get ripped back off agian. Since our cars are smog exempt the resale of them isnt effected by weather the swaps are "legal" or not. The only way I can see it being worth going through all of the smog bullshit (and it is a nightmare believe me) is if the car was not smog exempt and you wanted to shoot for a BAR sticker. I had a 1993 5 speed sc300 before my dime and went through all of this before with that car. I spent a ton of time and money to get it BAR stickered with a 2jzgte (USDM Supra TT motor).. but in the end the only thing that made it worth it was that it made the car worth a whole hell of a lot more cause it was one of only two twin turbo sc300's in ca that were actually smog legal.

Of course, if you "just pay the fine" there's nothing stopping you from getting BAR reffed again... and again... and again...

yeah there is its called keeping your eyes pealed and remembering these words

"officer i do not concent to any searches at this time"

Don't worry guys, The epa is coming to your state. Anyone who works on cars is heading for this because I have a news flash for you. being able to drive a car is not necessarily a right. Thats why there are motor vehicle depts in the first place, to regulate the use of vehicles. If you refuse a search they impound your vehicle, get a court order, and search it. No police officer lets you off once you refuse a search.

I say make it legal and don't complain, best that we all learn how to do this because thats where owning a car is going. If you can do it, you have other guys on here willing to help you out, just get your car legal. Consider it another motor swap challenge. Or just go get a Hyundai, make your payments and feel a slight pang whenever a sweet 510 zips by.

I have a question, does every car sold need a smog test in CA to transfer ownership? Like if I buy a 72 510 wagon with a L20b from 1978 in it, will it have to be smogged to transfer title? the last car I bought was a 60 studebaker, no test but that is way pre-smog. Anyone know?

Edited by zenndog

one last bit of advice. (serious advice) the way i have made any 76-93 v8 chevy car to pass smog is by creating enough exhaust leaks, so that only 15-20% of the exhaust is actually being checked and if your db's are no problem then they wont notice it.

(its how we made a BBC suburban pass smog better then a civic)

I have a question, does every car sold need a smog test in CA to transfer ownership? Like if I buy a 72 510 wagon with a L20b from 1978 in it, will it have to be smogged to transfer title? the last car I bought was a 60 studebaker, no test but that is way pre-smog. Anyone know?

no you wouldn't have to smog it because it is pre 76

one last bit of advice. (serious advice) the way i have made any 76-93 v8 chevy car to pass smog is by creating enough exhaust leaks, so that only 15-20% of the exhaust is actually being checked and if your db's are no problem then they wont notice it.

(its how we made a BBC suburban pass smog better then a civic)

doesn't always work the newer machines will kick it out of testing if it detects a large exhaust leak